Jarrad Marshall

Eagle County Colorado: The Heart of the Rockies Comes to Aerofly FS2!

Kudos Jarrad. Excellent shots and a perfect fit to what we already have for AeroflyFS2.

Love your work. 

Kind regards, Michael

Excellent work Jarrad, truly amazing looking work there. Hopefully you get to enjoy the holidays after all your tireless efforts in scenery development. 

Great choice to port this airport to AFS2! (one of my favorite areas to fly on AFS2) And really happy for the two additional "lite" airstrips, good to not have only regional airport. Thanks for your great work and merry christmas too.

Jarrad

Very nice highly detailed set of shots.

Creates a bit of a conundrum as regards which Flight Sim to follow in the future:)

Being currently heavily invested in P3D, (particularly in your work),  I am curious about a couple of things.

-  Are we likely to see any new P3D airports from you in 2018, or will your time mainly be devoted to AFS2 conversions? 

- From a developer's viewpoint, what does AFS2 give visually that is currently better than in P3D?

Thanks

TTM

Awesome news,

Jarrad, you must have been restless in work for aerofly sceneries!

Enjoy the Christmas holidays and we look forward to a splendid aerofly/OrbX year 2018.

smilie_car_033.gif

Very nice and detailed Jarrad, however, I have one question.  Is there a difference in detail between this and the one for P3D 4.1?

It's just a matter of a couple months and I'll have a new PC and this will be sitting alongside P3D.  And of course, I'll be buying even more Orbx stuff for it! :)

Really excellent work Jarrad!

And amazing shots! I am looking forward to further work for Aerofly FS 2.

Kind regards, Jakob

Thanks very much guys, apologies for the late reply, just coming back on deck after a break over the holidays. 

On 12/23/2017 at 7:56 PM, TigerTigerM said:

Being currently heavily invested in P3D, (particularly in your work),  I am curious about a couple of things.

-  Are we likely to see any new P3D airports from you in 2018, or will your time mainly be devoted to AFS2 conversions? 

- From a developer's viewpoint, what does AFS2 give visually that is currently better than in P3D?

G'day TTM, P3D is still my core simulator; my new projects (including the airport I'm currently working on) will be designed for P3D/FSX first and foremost. 

In terms of visuals, whilst there are the well-discussed tradeoffs with AFS2, there are a couple of big advantages for me as a developer: 

- The terrain engine is much sharper. Ground textures and autogen (cultivation in AFS2 parlance) render more clearly in the middle and far distances. This is particularly great for mountain sceneries; the definition in distant peaks is much better than P3D. 

- Performance is through the roof. Contrary to popular belief, this is not solely due to lack of systems (AI, complex weather etc), but because the IPACS team make it their core mission to make an extremely lean core engine for us to work with. Throwing the kitchen sink at the sim and still getting 200fps (even with VR) does wonders for increasing the sense of immersion. 

- Sloped runways, sharper shadow rendering (compared to P3Dv4), and a few other small improvements all add a little bit of incentive for us P3D developers to try it out. 

On 12/23/2017 at 9:55 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice and detailed Jarrad, however, I have one question.  Is there a difference in detail between this and the one for P3D 4.1?

G'day Jack, much as I did with Monterey, I've tried to keep KEGE as similar to it's P3D counterpart as possible. There will be small differences you may notice - the density of the vegetation is higher, the ground poly "noise" textures are at a higher resolution, and some minor substitutions have been made. And of course the runway is curved in AFS2. Conversely, some secondary components have been removed due to limitations; the biggest of which would be the small helipad at Vail (which is redundant at the moment anyway, due to lack of helos in AFS2). But all in all, you will get a very fair crossover between the two platforms. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

G'day Jack, much as I did with Monterey, I've tried to keep KEGE as similar to it's P3D counterpart as possible. There will be small differences you may notice - the density of the vegetation is higher, the ground poly "noise" textures are at a higher resolution, and some minor substitutions have been made. And of course the runway is curved in AFS2. Conversely, some secondary components have been removed due to limitations; the biggest of which would be the small helipad at Vail (which is redundant at the moment anyway, due to lack of helos in AFS2). But all in all, you will get a very fair crossover between the two platforms. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Wow!  Thanks Jarrad.  Looks like as soon as I am able I'll be buying this and the Orbx stuff to install into it.  I'd like to see the huge FPS increase and the difference in smoothness.  I think Lockheed did a pretty good job on 4.1 and despite it being 64 bit, isn't it still basically Microsoft's FSX in different clothes?  Maybe it's too long in the tooth?  I don't know.  But it's still my main sim and I have everything Orbx makes so there's no way I want to drop it.  It will be nice to have two sims side by side both with Orbx stuff in them however.  Thanks for your brilliant explanation!

6 hours ago, vikartindur said:

I don't know if i'm at the correct forum to ask: will eagle county be available on steam as well, like the previous orbx releases? or will it be available only from orbx direct?

G'day there, KEGE will be available for Steam alongside our other releases in about a week or so.

Cheers,

Jarrad

• Like 1