Hi all. Just ran into an unexpected cold-weather flight problem. In the winter Aleutians in a Beechcraft 18, I couldn't take off because the front windscreen was iced over. That results in an outside view totally blocked by a bilious green representing the ice. Under normal circumstances, I'd just turn on the windscreen defroster and all would be well. But I can't find a defroster on the 18. My only workaround is to go to "weather" and up the outside temperature, but that defeats the purpose of flying the colder weather,

I'd welcome your ideas on deicing a windscreen when a deicer isn't built into the sim model. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I'd welcome your ideas on deicing a windscreen when a deicer isn't built into the sim model. Thanks.

If, as you suggest, the model implements ice but has no de-icing systems, your only recourse is to avoid icing conditions. This means understanding when ice will form and keeping a close eye on the weather. You can check out my two Twin Otter icing videos (here and here) for more details on this. As luck would have it, my latest video shows a situation where I'm stuck in icing conditions with no way out except to fly into warmer air.

• Like 1

MarkH.  I had to go through that (simulated) in a Caravan  near Mt. Hood as ATC directed me into approach for Portland. Stayed glued to the instruments and eventually dropped below the ice. I still remember the thrill when visibility disappeared and a mountain loomed ahead. It does get your attention. Thanks for sharing your videos.

Roger

If you are using P3DV4.1, there is a setting under weather that you might try. Enable turbulence and weather effects on aircraft. If you disable this it might prevent the windshield from icing up. However, similar to raising the temp this might not give the experience you are looking for. Only idea I can up with. There is another setting in weather called windshield effect but I think that is for the new visible raindrops in some aircraft.

Greg

• Like 1

The Beech 18 and I have one thing in common, we are both 80, products of the 30's, and did not come with a windshield de-icer.

It became the corporate transport of the 50's because of it's point to point speed.  

They were the Rolls Royce of their day.

Dale

7 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

FYI: For better or worse - the Beech 18 is now on Carenado's incoming product list as well...

Regards,

Scott

Scott: RE your "Beechcraft Pilot" page-bottom logo--have you flown the 18? If so, I would be very interested in your evaluation of its strengths and weaknesses. Thanks.

Rodger

14 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Scott: RE your "Beechcraft Pilot" page-bottom logo--have you flown the 18? If so, I would be very interested in your evaluation of its strengths and weaknesses. Thanks.

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

LOL - sadly no - Beech I have flown - Sundowner (own one) - Sierra - and Duchess - pretty much the "baby" Beech line - lol - all but ignored in FS... I do like the classics though... Just about all my FS classic time is spent in that absolutely incredible freeware DC3... I'm actually intrigued by the new Carenado model - I would expect the visuals to be unsurpassed - the flight models have been very good - - - and "systems" where Carenado tends to have abysmal failures are minimal in this old bird - - - so perhaps they might do it justice ?  

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

When learning all the bells and whistles with the A2A Cessna 185, I could not understand why the windscreen was fogging up....not until I discovered the ventilation knob which cleared things up....great touch of realism on their part.

Sherm

IE: Beech 18; Navy SNB-5 I received my Naval Aviator Mult-engine training in this A/C 50 odd years or so ago. (gawd I'm old!).  One quirk about the A/C is that the landing Gear not only compresses vertically on touch down but if your tail is off the ground the gear also traverses rearward.  When the vertical and horizontal forces release the A/C can develop a very wicked bounce/porpoise in a flash.  Old Navy truism is that two kinds of people land a Beech 18 those that HAVE and those that a GOING to bounce it.  As a very young sailor prior to flight training I was standing wheels watch at NAS Los Alamitos  and witnessed ADM "Bull" Halsey make 4 approaches before getting the A/C on the R/W.  The airplane just has "no respect"!!!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, spud said:

IE: Beech 18; Navy SNB-5 I received my Naval Aviator Mult-engine training in this A/C 50 odd years or so ago. (gawd I'm old!).  One quirk about the A/C is that the landing Gear not only compresses vertically on touch down but if your tail is off the ground the gear also traverses rearward.  When the vertical and horizontal forces release the A/C can develop a very wicked bounce/porpoise in a flash.  Old Navy truism is that two kinds of people land a Beech 18 those that HAVE and those that a GOING to bounce it.  As a very young sailor prior to flight training I was standing wheels watch at NAS Los Alamitos  and witnessed ADM "Bull" Halsey make 4 approaches before getting the A/C on the R/W.  The airplane just has "no respect"!!!

Thanks for sharing the memory Spud. I got my ME in an Aztec "C" in 1971; that's only 46 years ago. I must be a youngster. :D

Greg

Edited by gregmorin
typo

Loved the Halsey story. Our family's history includes a member who was on Halsey's staff. He used to tell some pretty colorful stories about Halsey's temper and language. I can only imagine the "blue" cockpit atmosphere on the Beech 18 as Halsey made his fourth approach. Thanks for sharing!