Jazzie

Recommendations For Learning Navigation

Can anyone recommend a good place to learn the basics of flight navigation?

I always take off in my sim and fly vfr with absolutely no clue on how to properly navigate. I'm a master of getting lost ;-)

Jazzie if you have a spare 10" Android tablet, download FsMovMap see    http://www.rahsim.com/

It will track your flight and it will show a flight plan if you cerate one.

A great bit of software to avoid getting lost.

Pay the extra few dollars to get the "Pro" version.1

If you need a tablet here is one for under $100  https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Snapdragon-Quad-Core-Processor-ZA1U0003US/dp/B01MR3FS4F/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1505803426&sr=1-1&keywords=10"+android+tablets

Regards

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken Terry said:

Jazzie if you have a spare 10" Android tablet, download FsMovMap see    http://www.rahsim.com/

It will track your flight and it will show a flight plan if you cerate one.

A great bit of software to avoid getting lost.

Pay the extra few dollars to get the "Pro" version.1

If you need a tablet here is one for under $100  https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Snapdragon-Quad-Core-Processor-ZA1U0003US/dp/B01MR3FS4F/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1505803426&sr=1-1&keywords=10"+android+tablets

Regards

Ken

Has anyone found a way to get FsMovMap on their monitor as a window? When Flyinside is available for P3D4 I'd love to use FsMovMap inside my VR cockpit,

Don

Ken Terry or others.  I am not in any way shape or form a computer whizz.  I have a 14" laptop, but it's not an Android.  Can you turn them into one?

I also have a 6" x  3" Android mobile smart iphone.   I have installed the lastest version onto the phone 2.03 what else, if you think it's worth pursuing should I add eg simconnect? etc and where do you find these addons.

All assistance would be terrific

SIM CFI on YouTube has very very excellent videos on flying in general. 

He uses real world charts and also the A2A planes for added realism. Orbx is also heavily featured obviously.

This one is perfect for basic visual navigation from maps, but you'll find others on his channel on VOR and other nav-aids.

....... getting lost in the flight simulator .

I had the same problem when I started using the flight simulator , although I had for many years a RW pilots licence complete with

the usual navigation theory , still got lost .

I found that I would fly about enjoying myself , then finally not know where I was or how to get to an airport , it was annoying .

I resolved to fix that problem , learnt xml coding and started to create instruments to overcome it , I wanted something that

was specifically useful for the flight sim .

I created the following instrument ,

gODm5x8.jpg

It displays 16 nearest airports , click on any line and you get ;

distance , bearing , steering arrow , and full name of the selected airport .

The full name is very important as it is usually a recogniseable town or city name that has meaning to us .

You can also type in on your keyboard any 4 character airport ICAO and the same data is provided regardless of where that airport is on earth .

If you turn your aircraft  until that steering arrow is pointing upwards then you are heading to the airport of your choice .

With that instrument you will never be lost again .

If it's of use to anyone it's available freeware at either Simviation or Flightsim websites  as follows ,

#1 . Search for 

F-111 Pig HUD 

it is included in my F-111 panel .

or

#2. Search for 

Mini panel

Bill McCellan included the instrument in his mini panel .

Cheers

Karol

• Like 1

Try Flightsimbooks.com. It has a number of older books online that teach navigation from a flight sim perspective. Includes charts for the approaches. May be a bit dated now but the information is good. The first 3 books by John Rafferty and Jonathon Stern are quite good. I learned most of my navigation from them.
Larry

• Like 1

4 hours ago, larryisenor said:

Try Flightsimbooks.com. It has a number of older books online that teach navigation from a flight sim perspective. Includes charts for the approaches. May be a bit dated now but the information is good. The first 3 books by John Rafferty and Jonathon Stern are quite good. I learned most of my navigation from them.
Larry

Great link Larry!  It brought back so many memories. :)

WOW! Thanks very much everyone.

What a great set of responses. There is enough great information there to keep me busy learning for a long time to come.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I certainly wouldn't have found all that great info on my own. Much appreciated!

Sort of on topic, has anyone still got a copy of the manual that came with FS4? It had a great navigation section.

1 hour ago, Jazzie said:

WOW! Thanks very much everyone.

What a great set of responses. There is enough great information there to keep me busy learning for a long time to come.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I certainly wouldn't have found all that great info on my own. Much appreciated!

That's the best thing about these forums....there is always someone who has the answer to anything........Doug

Hi Jazzie,

Some excellent advice and great links above.

One other thing that you might want to consider is the Flight1 GTN 750. It is like a super duper satnav and it does much more than just show your current position.

It also can be installed directly into the VC of a number of aircraft.

Cheers

Paul

So many pilots are now relying on GPS' and FMC's etc without which they would be lost. This is why I am seeking a copy of the FS4 manual (I think it is FS4 anyway??) It has an excellent section on navigation using VOR's, NDB's etc and a clock, yes a clock:D

I purchased this book a few years ago as well. Its an excellent resource, especially for sim pilots.

Very much like an expanded 'old school' printed manual that came with FS

'Chapter 10 - Navigation with Traditional Avionics'

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Pilots-Training/dp/0764588222

Edited by GlennH