Hi all:  I was just thinking about some of the magazines I enjoy. I like several aviation history magazines, a couple of flight sim magazines, and some news and current event magazines. My enjoyment of those publications made me start thinking--why doesn't ORBX start a magazine? I thought I'd poll the Forum and see what kind of stories would be interesting for our mag.  Some sample ideas:

1. JV reveals that he really is a benign alien genius refugee from Alpha Centuri.

2. New mini-fullfat-developments: Venice Beach, CA; Cote d'Azure, France; Cancun, Mexico. With enhanced bikini people flow.

3. ORBX updates: home-build cockpit kits left unfinished in readers' garages.

4. Biography of a potential developer: twelve-year-old-kid, "Master Buzz," reprograms entire ORBX system by accident, gets in trouble with mother for missing lunch.

5 The Zen of Nick Cooper.

6. Technical section: boosting flight sim performance by reclocking your heart monitor.

I'm sure that fellow Forum readers have far better ideas than these off-the-cuff considerations. It would be good to see them and to learn when exactly ORBX plans on acting on this brilliant idea. All responses welcome.

• Upvote 4

Brilliant idea Rodger.

I could do a section every edition on how not to do things under the title  "Flight Simming for idiots by an idiot".:lol:

This would include things like how not to fly, how not to install certain products and how to be totally baffled by all this modern stuff.

Damn, damn, damn.

I have just installed REX 4 into P3DV4 and it actually works.

I am losing my touch.

I shall say it again, they don't call me the Frank Spencer of the FS world for nothing.

Now where is that Mitsubishi  G4M bomber I was trying to install?

• Upvote 3

LOL!!!!  I was cracking UP reading these Rodger!  I almost spat wine onto my monitor at #5, The Zen of Nick Cooper!  I think we'd be lost without Nick's help and if he's in the Zen zone then I wanna be there too!

And we gotta have comics!  Ooh, ooh, pick, pick me!!!

I think another idea would be "How JV picks sale times", throw darts at a calendar or D&D dice?

• Upvote 1

Great idea, I agree. An Orbx magazine could also be a GREAT means to further display the monthly winning screenshot from the screenshot contest. It could be a great way to further advertise the wonderful Orbx scenery from a customer's use. This would add further testament to how well FTX products look for the average simmer, and not just the gorgeous screenshots that the developers always manage to astound us with. Just a thought ^_^

Brilliant idea.  I would subscribe in an instant and would happily pay an annual subscription.

Please make this happen Orbx.  Cheers,

Calum

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Caluma65 said:

Brilliant idea.  I would subscribe in an instant and would happily pay an annual subscription.

This would be a good proposal. While anyone agreed to the magazine idea, no one said yet who should make it. Would you propose our beloved ORBX developers making it - taking a part of their rare time for writing instead of making new sceneries? No (or delayed) Perth, East Coast Regions, Asia Landclass instead of a magazine...? Not a good idea, in my mind.

Another approach would be to assign this to someone professionally doing magazines, and this might indeed work out. ORBX still would have to ask Jarrad, Ed, and John for input in he form of information, interviews etc., but all the editorial work would be done by the publisher. We certainly would have to pay for this, but I would be prepared to do so.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, pmb said:

This would be a good proposal. While anyone agreed to the magazine idea, no one said yet who should make it. Would you propose our beloved ORBX developers making it - taking a part of their rare time for writing instead of making new sceneries? No (or delayed) Perth, East Coast Regions, Asia Landclass instead of a magazine...? Not a good idea, in my mind.

Hi Michael,

I wouldn't imagine that this would fall under the remit of a software developer regardless.  I think that the easiest and most cost effective way of doing this would be to employ an internal marketing executive at Orbx.  This marketing executive would then prepare the relevant stories, images etc and would then liaise with a printing company/publisher, with regards to layout etc.

This would certainly be far less expensive than outsourcing the whole shooting match.  So long as the subscriptions for the magazine made enough in additional revenue to cover the cost of the marketing executives salary and the costs of printing, the magazine would 'wash its own face' at little or no additional cost to the business.  So the key piece here becomes gauging the level of interest and anticipated uptake.

What I would say is that there is still strong demand for FSX related magazine subscriptions such as PC Pilot.  With Orbx fast becoming the number one developer for much of the community - I would suggest that there would be sufficient demand for something like this to succeed.  Cheers,

Calum

Waste of time. these magazines only work when there is a 3rd party pulling in all of flight sim news to one location without a vested interest eg PC pilot.

ORBX just regurgitating forum news into a magazine is , well.. a waste of resources.

• Upvote 1