I used to fly to Japan when I was an airline Pilot, and would really like to see a nice Japan scenery package to add to my growing collection of Orbx products. Any possibility of something like this in the future. If you make it, I'll buy it. Thanks. 

• Upvote 2

You'll find quite a number of Japan fans here, including me. Unfortunately we have been getting clear refusals so far, and I am afraid this won't change during the rest of my life (65 now).

Kind regards Michael

There is the Haruo Japan Lanclass package which enhances the default Japan, plus there are many freeware airports if you look in somewhere like Freewarescenery plus some airports and a good cityscape of Tokio.

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/japan.html

Landclass link http://gex.flight1.net/forumimages/jpx_beta070.zip

Edited by jjaycee1

Thanks for the replies. The freeware scenery looks to be FSX compatible, so I doubt if it will work for P3Dv4, which is what I have. I dumped FSX last week. The same is probably true for the landclass package although, I'm not really sure about that. Japan has some very diverse landscapes, which is what makes it so nice to look at. Thanks again for the replies. 

The freeware landclass package mentioned works fine in Prepar3d3. I didn't try it in Prepar3d4 yet, but don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as well.

It is excellent, even more given it is freeware. It certainly can't be compared to a full fat region, which it doesn't aim for, but I don't dare to say it is on a par in quality with FTX OpenLC NA.

Kind regards, Michael

It works fine in v4 (the landclass) as do many of the airports. Anything that is just bgl based appears to work OK in my experience so far.

I did try the landclass mentioned above, but found it made areas of Tokyo, esp. around the docks look very rural, removing a lot of buildings;  I'd be interested to hear what others think of it... Japan, and other parts of Asia would make for a great and very interesting region/s, but I doubt the sales would justify the development time and costs. Flight simming does not seem to be attractive to people from these areas for some reason.

If FTX Japan ever does happen I'll be right at the front of the queue  for it...

Edited by Mark Abdey

This is for FSX installation. My P3Dv4 root file doesn't have an addon scenery folder. I'm hesitant to experiment for fear of doing damage to my sim. YIKES!

16 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Maybe you also try this freeware: http://fsx.o.oo7.jp/

I´ll join the Japan-liker fraction.

I know and tried this before. The objects are really pretty but the ground textures are very low-res and ugly. Even default textures are way better and the overall impression of  the Tokyo area from the Haruo landclass package is way better.

Kind regards, Michael

I lived in Japan for several years and indeed there are many flight simmers there. In fact I think on a per capita basis there are more there than other places. I often met people who commented that they loved FSX (or whatever version flight sim back in the early 2000s) and seemed to be more that here in the US.

Akahabara (game/tech shopping area in Tokyo) always had the boxed releases of add-ons when they were available. Japanese have the money and there is far less software pirating there than elsewhere which makes it a profitable market... 

• Upvote 1

This is what I get using the Haruo landclass... note how much more green there is, and also the tall buildings have been largely replaced by much smaller ones. I think the default landclass works better in Tokyo anyway.

Default.

1e021bfefbdff955e55371168dce214d.jpg

Haruo landclass

74c185a5f219ba959edc274aaa37e389.jpg

Google

01967cd517dcbb614770669cdb1dc642.jpg

Its clear to me we need FTX Japan :ph34r:

If there are lots of Japanese simmers then they don't seem to make themselves known... and that is likely because there is a low percentage of English speakers in the population.

For those in the UK there has been some truly wonderful programs on the BBC about Japanese art and culture over the past few weeks... Well worth watching on the iPlayer if you can...

Edited by Mark Abdey

9 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Mark would you have the coordinates of your shots (1st 2). I want to compare with my views.

Coordinates shown in the shot... take off from Tokyo international airport, runway 34R and you'll see the docks straight ahead.

c2aced79be99a900531c115424d84525.jpg

On 26/06/2017 at 5:03 AM, jjaycee1 said:

There is the Haruo Japan Lanclass package which enhances the default Japan, plus there are many freeware airports if you look in somewhere like Freewarescenery plus some airports and a good cityscape of Tokio.

Thanks jjaycee, I took your advice and have the landclass and the city packages installed (except Tokyo, as yet). I have to agree with Michael. With the photo scenery, the nice 3D objects jut up from a low res ground image. A distribution of autogen might have taken the edge off that effect.

However, with the photo scenery deactivated, the 3D objects in general sit very well in Orbx Vector. At Kobe I had a few dockyard cranes in the water at one point, and occasionally a building overlaps a highway a little. The freeways from the packs seem redundant to me.
All in all, the cityscapes on the Japan landclass, without the photo backdrop, work for me. However, Mark rightly points out that the warehouses, tank farms and so on all seem to sit in pretty rural fields imposed by the landclass.
I'm perfectly happy with jjaycee's recommendation, with the photoreal switched off. The cityscapes then rise among autogen suburbs, and we get some nice castles, as well, which sit nicely on Vector. The main downside is the inappropriate green patches.

Edited by johnfromoz

I also suspect that the missing language skill hides a lot of the Japanese FS community.
As an example have a look at "TechnoBrain". They have published a range of important airports on boxed DVD (Haneda, Kansai, New Chitose, Naha etc.) but are not willing to put it into international sales channels - most probably because they cannot give support in any other language. Also, this kind of software seems to be rather expensive inside Japan with prices of EUR 50+ (USD 60+) per addon.
During my last two stays in Tokyo I have bought their range of DVDs, and their quality I would rate below WingCreations, but higher than other payware developers who cover this country (e.g. Aerosim).

• Upvote 1

While I own all WingCreation sceneries, I never bought anything from Aerosim as they seem to be stuck in pre-Prepar3d times and more or less dead anyway. Unfortunately, Wing Creations isn't too quick when it comes to updates either, but according to their forum they are now "investigating" Prepar3d4 support at least.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree with Vora.  And I think it is a matter of time and we'll have some talented Japanese devs start to come forward. 

Or a more likely possibility is that some talented Western devs will get their hands on some good photos and just do Japanese airports themselves -- Graham at Pacsim comes to mind.  It just comes down to what sells, ultimately.  Perhaps cost of photoreal coverage is also a major factor, but not something I know anything about.

I would say let's not totally rule anything out for JV and the fellas at ORBX.  Nobody ever thought we'd get (name that airport here) but here we are.  Things change, devs rotate in and out, access to good cost-effective satellite imagery, and so on.  Plus we know how ORBX loves that sweet combination of mountains and coastline.

Edited by Ripcord

17 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

This is what I get using the Haruo landclass... note how much more green there is, and also the tall buildings have been largely replaced by much smaller ones. I think the default landclass works better in Tokyo anyway.

[...]

Its clear to me we need FTX Japan :ph34r:

If there are lots of Japanese simmers then they don't seem to make themselves known... and that is likely because there is a low percentage of English speakers in the population.

For those in the UK there has been some truly wonderful programs on the BBC about Japanese art and culture over the past few weeks... Well worth watching on the iPlayer if you can...

Hi Mark!

Maybe the "green area" was caused due some "error" within the landclass data used for this (otherwise indeed overall superb) Japan-LC package.

Now i am no expert here at all, but maybe this kind of industrial/harbour area was not clearly defined as an industrial/harbour area but rather as some kind of rural, less populated or park/recreation area, hence the use of greener/rural texture tiles on top. Because other than that i have to say that - at least in my opinion - the Haruo LC representation of Tokyo looks quite good compared to "reality" - especially because it is carefully considering "lower and smaller" houses/buildings.

We have to bare in mind that Japan is often hit by severe earthquakes and although there are, without any doubt, a lot of large  and high buildings shaping modern japanese cityscapes, smaller houses and buildings are also very, very present there and typical/common for japanese cities.

So in my opinion, some kind of mixture between "default" and "Haruo LC" would look best.

And yes i totally agree:

A Japan LC package would be most welcome!

By the way: If times permit, please feel free to check out the islands/prefectures Shikoku, Kyushu and Hokkaido. If You have a good mesh for Japan installed too, i am sure that You will really like the landscapes there as they are really fantastic. At least i always litterally loved flying around there, when i had more time for simming. 

:)

6 hours ago, moonman said:

Hi Mark!

Maybe the "green area" was caused due some "error" within the landclass data used for this (otherwise indeed overall superb) Japan-LC package.

Now i am no expert here at all, but maybe this kind of industrial/harbour area was not clearly defined as an industrial/harbour area but rather as some kind of rural, less populated or park/recreation area, hence the use of greener/rural texture tiles on top. Because other than that i have to say that - at least in my opinion - the Haruo LC representation of Tokyo looks quite good compared to "reality" - especially because it is carefully considering "lower and smaller" houses/buildings.

We have to bare in mind that Japan is often hit by severe earthquakes and although there are, without any doubt, a lot of large  and high buildings shaping modern japanese cityscapes, smaller houses and buildings are also very, very present there and typical/common for japanese cities.

So in my opinion, some kind of mixture between "default" and "Haruo LC" would look best.

And yes i totally agree:

A Japan LC package would be most welcome!

By the way: If times permit, please feel free to check out the islands/prefectures Shikoku, Kyushu and Hokkaido. If You have a good mesh for Japan installed too, i am sure that You will really like the landscapes there as they are really fantastic. At least i always litterally loved flying around there, when i had more time for simming. 

Hi Moonman... great to see you here again :)

I think you are right about the Haruo landclass... apart from the obvious inaccuracy around the docks, the overall picture of Toyko, when you compare it to the Google map is actually more realistic on the whole, with the smaller buildings in the wider urban area being more accurate than the taller ones used by default. I tend to fly in more rural areas anyway, so a few urban areas that suffer from poor data, for whatever reason, is something I can overlook.

Is there a better mesh available for the region other than the world-wide products?... In the mean time I'll take a look a what else is available.

I hope you are able to find the time to fly and pop in a bit more Moonman :)

17 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Which file are the photoscenery in johnfromoz?  I want to try what you did. Maybe you could name the relevant ones.

I'm referring to the city sceneries from http://fsx.o.oo7.jp/ which is the site linked to by fsfreewarescenery.com in your first post, above.

Each city has two downloads (one has three). One archive is the 3D scenery (e.g "KOBE.zip"), the other is the photo (ground) scenery (e.g. "KOBE_Photo.zip"). Each is installed separately. So it's easy - don't install the photo scenery pack. Or install, check it out, and deactivate or keep as you prefer.

As I said above, in general the 3D objects sit quite nicely with Orbx Vector's land/water boundaries and highways. There were a few exceptions but too minor to ruin the overall effect.

Pictures instead of words (in FSX, can't recall which is which city, but one would be Osaka!) -

1. With photo ground in use, the buildings jut up from a low res image. The castle does have a moat, though.japan1.jpg

2. Same place, different angle, without photo ground. I prefer the big structures to have autogen around them. The only drawback is no moat for the castle.

japan2.jpg

3. Another town, another castle, without photo, but still sitting very nicely in land-and-water-scaped grounds. You can see the buildings are fine in relation to major roads.

japan3.jpg

4. My point about industrial areas. Everything fits fine in relation to the coasts, but way too green where I would expect tar and cement.
japan4.jpg

Finally, a general question. I have not played with landclass since FS2004 and EZ-landclass. Do people still do that for small areas, and is there a newer program to do it? I wouldn't have thought small patches for the industrial areas would be too hard, if things are as I recall from older FS. I never got into S-builder, but I seem to recall that did the job with more precision.

Edited by johnfromoz

OK john I got you now. I didn't download or install the photoscenery anyway and I am seeing exactly what you are seeing in the shots without photo.

On 30.6.2017 at 7:46 PM, Mark Abdey said:

Hi Moonman... great to see you here again :)

I think you are right about the Haruo landclass... apart from the obvious inaccuracy around the docks, the overall picture of Toyko, when you compare it to the Google map is actually more realistic on the whole, with the smaller buildings in the wider urban area being more accurate than the taller ones used by default. I tend to fly in more rural areas anyway, so a few urban areas that suffer from poor data, for whatever reason, is something I can overlook.

Is there a better mesh available for the region other than the world-wide products?... In the mean time I'll take a look a what else is available.

I hope you are able to find the time to fly and pop in a bit more Moonman :)

Hi Mark!

In regards to mesh: The worldwide products suit perfectly and are suffiicient for Japan, i just pointed it out because on the other hand the default mesh does not do the japanese landscape any justice at all.

Currently real life is keeping me away from simming, but as soon as i have some more time left, i will jump back into the cockpit right away. I'll just have to get it all started from scratch then i guess, as i am going to get myself a new PC then and so on. In the meantime though i very much enjoy following various flightsim-related websites, such as the ORBX forums here and i am very excited to see all the many developments underway at the moment for all these new or completely overhauled flightsim-platforms currently available.

Cheers, Christoph