Hi all. My wife and I have spent the past six months enjoying various BBC and Australian and New Zealand tv shows via Netflix (plus the gloomy Scandinavians, but that's another question). I have a question for Forum natives of those areas. What are your recommendations for best tv from your country? I know that we can't get them all here in the USA, but the wife and I are on a roll and would try to get whatever Netflix will supply. (Sorry, we don't have internet access and so can't stream). Thanks!

You might want to try 800 Words

It is about an Australian father and teenage kids that move from Sydney to a remote beach town called Weld in New Zealand after he losses his wife. It has great shots of New Zealand and is a good comedy. 

You should be able to get it in the USA as my mother in Toronto gets this show where she lives, she really enjoys it.

In my humble opinion, the best TV show to come out of NZ is The Insiders Guide To Happiness.  Outrageous Fortune gets a highly commended (somewhat more 'R' rated though).  You might find you're not the target demographic for either, so might not be your thing.

There is a lot of good Australian stuff, but again, can be a bit 'R' rated.  Now I need to remember some of the names...

UK from the '80s, Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.  Political satire at its best.  I've been watching off and on lately.  It's frightening to see how little has changed.  Also going back a bit - Only Fools & Horses.  'Allo 'Allo, about the comings and goings in a cafe in occupied France in WWII.  For a si-fi twist, Doctor Who, which has been running off and on since 1963, and Blakes 7.  The special effects are quaintly '70s BBC, but there are some great characters in both.  Kerr Avon is possibly the greatest anti-hero ever...

Edited by Mickel
  • Upvote 1

Maybe its an age thing, but most of the Brit stuff I'd personally recommend is of a certain vintage now. Some of it has been mentioned above, but an absolute British classic (still getting weekly airings) was 'Dads Army'. Another one that might appeal would be Faulty Towers! I'm not sure how the humour would translate across the pond, but both are considered National treasures over here!

• Upvote 1

"Open all hours" is ddddddddefinitely one of my all time fffffffffavourites as is "Only Fools and Horses" both of which star David Jason who does not get enough credit IMHO. 

Also I would give a favourable mention to "Minder". I also agree with Norfolk Mike, there is nothing that competes this day to the classic british humour of 80's in which there is very little "canned laughter" because it was not needed. The theme songs to "Minder" and "Only Fools and Horses" are also stand out classic themes which I cannot resist humming every time I hear them. I do admit that the theme song to Bonanza is also way up there!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Anything with Ronnie Barker in it is superb viewing and many top quality programmes have been mentioned here already.

The Two Ronnies with Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, one I only recently watched for the first time and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

All Creatures Great and Small based on James Herriot's veterinary experiences either side of WW2 is one I must get around to watching again.

Keeping up Appearances and Steptoe and Son two more outstanding comedy series.

Wallace and Gromit animated series may appeal.

Living on the USA I miss the Aussie lifestyle and humor, so I watch almost everything that comes along.. but for a good insight into the Aussie psyche and humor (but only if you are not prudish) watch "Rake". Teecee,

Edited by teecee

I agree with 'Teecee'.  The Aussie "Rake" was great - the US tried it but it died on the vine.  Check the DVD files in your local library - might be some good finds there.

Edited by olderndirt

Rowen Atkinson as "the Black Adder". Hilarious and sarcastic as only the Brit's can do. Another oldie if not already mentioned is "Are you being served"? As well as "Keeping up Appearances". Lol I am still laughing after all these years when I think about these shows.

• Upvote 1

Since the flood gates are open:

One Foot In The Grave

Last Of The Summer Wine (particularly early on - sadly, the age of the characters meant the actor turnover was high and I'm not sure it ever maintained the standard the first three achieved)

On a more slapstick note, Benny Hill.  Would be considered horrendously inappropriate today.

• Upvote 1

Glad to say that almost all of the recommendations above are available through Netflix. My wife and I now have a waiting queue that will last us longer than our doctor can guarantee us for. Thanks a  lot, folks, for good suggestions. We will enjoy! (PS: Except for Benny Hill. The wife says no way no how. I can't understand her lack of good taste.)

• Upvote 1

One series up to date and the best on British tv at the moment "Line of Duty" about an Anti-Corruption unit. At the moment we are in Series 4 and just over half way. The script and acting is superb.

2 hours ago, Jock7 said:

One series up to date and the best on British tv at the moment "Line of Duty" about an Anti-Corruption unit. At the moment we are in Series 4 and just over half way. The script and acting is superb.

Agreed on that one. The plot for this current series is ingenious and the showdown meeting in the most recent episode was quite simply the best written and acted scene I've ever watched on TV.

So many others I can think of....Peaky Blinders, Broadchurch, Happy Valley, The Night Manager....besides the better known one's like Sherlock. 

Edited by uncle_adolph

Hi all. If anyone is considering this thread as a possible guide to their own viewing pleasure, let me say that you have a great resource in hand here. The submissions have been outstanding--the wife and I have been binge-watching the list and have enjoyed it immensely. Thanks again to all who have added to the menu--it's a real feast!

I've been trying to come up with some Australia stuff, but it's all been a bit grim lately.  Since you're in to Tassie scenery at the moment, The Kettering Incident might be worth a watch, for the scenery alone.  The story its self fell over with an episode and a half to go, sadly.  Up until that point it was good.

Underbelly was another series of good stories, but it's all about the drug trade and all that goes with it.  Interestingly, one of the lawyers involved in the one about Terry Clarke (the second one I think) was asked about the accuracy of the story.  I believe the response was along the lines of 'Well, we can't sue'.

The Slap... another well written, grim drama.

I gather Tangled gets good reviews.  The wife watches it.  I've not seen it - just heard bits over the drone of the sim.

Upper Middle Bogan is somewhat lighter!

Since movies have slipped in, Hunt For The Wilderpeople is delightful.  Came A Hot Friday. Footrot Flats (animated). Goodbye Porkpie. Boy.  All very good NZ movies.  (On a somewhat sad note, the author of the Footrot Flats series, Murray Ball, and the voice of Wal in the movie, John Clarke, both died recently.  They leave big holes on each side of the ditch)

Edited by Mickel
7 hours ago, ccb777 said:

And don't forget 'Allo 'Allo and Dad's Army.

We didn't (points up) :D. I was just thinking, quite a few of those 70s wartime sitcoms were filmed in my home county of Norfolk.

Allo Allo was filmed around my town and the cast drank in the local pub. I met Herr Flick on the North Yorkshire moors a couple of years ago (with Helga) ....Okay, don't ask :D, and reminded them of their antics in the Red Lion, to which he put a finger to his lips and urged me to "say no more" :). You don't argue with Herr Flick!

Dad's Army was also filmed locally, and apparently the cast stayed overnight in the Brandon House Hotel when they were filming a scene at the local station. My dad owned the bloody hotel at the time (parents separated), and I never forgave him for not inviting me over to see Captain Mainwaring and the boys!

"It Ain't Half Hot Mum" was filmed in a local quarry (Brrr), but it has since been considered too un-pc to be repeated on the BBC :D. Only us Brits could place a cast in an English Gravel Pit, strip them to the waist, cover them with Glycerine to emulate sweat, point a smoke machine into some trees to give the impression of humidity, lob a plastic Crocodile into a lake and call it Burma :D. Those were the days!

Last ones...

Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures.

and Little Acorns... Nine five minute webisodes about life in a well-to-do city day care centre.  Wrong on so many levels (R-rated, again...), but very funny...  Google will find you the YouTube channel.

Edited by Mickel

Some ORBX folks may be wondering about the above lists. As the originator of the posting, let me tell you that there is a ton of good watching listed above. My wife and I have found a number of new series, several great stand-alones, and a general whole new watching world through the above suggestions. Good stuff, mates! Thanks and more thanks!