Sign in to follow this  
Aussieflyer38

Running out of fuel

Hi guys, seem to have a problem getting landing permission, and I'm running out of gas waiting. As I have mentioned before I have a back issue so I've taken to flying my heavies where I can, get 'em onto cruise and give my back a break. Haven't flown them for a while so can't remember having this problem before.

In the ATC box I don't get a request to land line to click on to request ATC for landing instructions. I just get "follow me", "list of airports" etc. i'm not sure if I've forgotten something I had to do to activate this or something isn't working right. It doesn't happen with my GA aircraft, only the heavies both Boeing and Airbus.

Anyone help with this please. Thanks

Don     

Hi Don,

From memory you must first select the airport you wish to land at then tune the tower frequency. You then request what you want to do, full stop or touch & go etc.

Hi Ross, 

Most of my flights are PFPX or manual inputs, so have the DEP  and ARR and and in Bris YBBN for example  I normally land on RWY 01 109.5 CRS 016. I thought it might have had something to do with using the aircraft CDU and not FSX flight planner, so I tried that, but that but that didn't work either. With my GA aircraft like the Duke it works fine but not with my heavies. Got me beat. Thanks for your help

Don        

Don, Ross is correct you should not just land without getting clearance from the tower.

Default ATC does a reasonable job of getting you down unless there is somebody on the runway in which case you will get a command to "Go around".

If you have MCE you can do it all thru the mike on your headset.  If not try the trial version it is free.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken, 

I think you misunderstood my enquiry. I cant get permission to land, because There is no command line in the ATC box that I can click on to contact the tower for permission to land. I just get things like, "Flight follow, Open a IFR flight plan, etc, no permission to land line to click on. What I don't understand is that I have it with my GA  aircraft but not my heavies. I pretty much do everything "by the book" so that option should be there. 

Don        

Flight following and flight plan following sounds like your stuck on a centre or approach/departure frequency rather than a tower frequency.  Flight following shouldn't be an option with a tower.  Odd indeed.

Don, you have to be in range of the airport usually about 30 miles.  One of the problems with default ATC if you are at 20,000 feet it is tough to get down in time.

When you click "nearest airport list" you will see a listing of all airports around you inside that contact radius.

If there are more than nine you may see "airports further from you" - try that and see if your destination airport is on this page 2 list.

Some of them are behind you or to the right and left of your desired flight path.

Keep flying until you see your destination airport appear on the list,  it might be for example in position 6 on the list so click 6 and then it will give you access to the tower if there is one.  Request "Full stop landing" and ATC will respond with a runway number.

Not all airports have a tower in which case you will be asked to "Choose a runway for landing"

If you wish you could PM me with your flight plan and I will do it and send images of my ATC window.

I don't understand why the "nearest airport list" does not show if you are in a heavy commercial airliner, gotta check that one myself.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken, 

Thanks, I'll check out your suggestions tomorrow morning, a comment though. If I"m flying my Boeing 767, I'm at about 2500 and 15nm from YBBN when I try to contact the tower for permission to land, I have been told to contact Brisbane centre on whatever freq they give me, but I don't get any acknowledgement regarding landing permission and a runway. Anyway as I said, I'll try again tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes,

By the way, the problem I'm having relates to major airports like YBBN, YMML, YPAD, YSSY etc. 

Thanks

Don        

Don, you have to open an IFR flight plan with ATC, otherwise they have no idea where you want to go. If you have an IFR plan open, you'll be handed over by ATC to the various tower, departure, centres, then approach, tower etc. If you are only using flight following they don't know where you are going, only where you actually are, so don't offer you any option to contact approach, tower etc.

Jack

Edited by Holy Cheese

I believe you still have to load a plain old .pln file when you ask ATC to open an IFR Flightplan for you. I'm not at all familiar with PFPX, so don't know if it will save a flightplan in .pln format or not.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Don,

I use PFPX & think it is a brilliant & comprehensive flight planner however it will only save a plan into your appropriate FSX/P3D folder for current or future use. You still have to open & activate the required plan in the sim when you wish to do the flight. Same as you probably did with the Duke, however you would have planned the whole flight using the sim's planner in that instance. When using PFPX you have to ensure when you set it up you have designated the correct folder for it to save the flight plan to. That's so that when you open the planner in the sim the one done with PFPX shows up as a saved plan. As pointed out you still need to open & activate it.

If you are only seeing "Flight follow, Open a IFR flight plan, etc, then that means you do not currently have a flight plan open with ATC. The type of message you should see once en route from ATC with a plan active is usually to "cancel the flight plan" or to request higher or lower cruise levels.

Thanks Ross, noted. UPDATE. DO NOT ask me how etc. Yesterday I updated my 767 Boeing and had a flight YSSY>>YMML and being the eternal optimist opened the ATC window and there was my ATC  "contact approach" etc. I not a computer Techy so don't know all the ins and outs, so have no idea how  that update would have got things working again, and I'm not going to question it - it just bloody works and thats great. Did another flight in the Airbus A320 YBBN>>YSSY just to make sure, and yep, all good.  

Sometimes flight sims work in strange ways :)

Anyway thanks everyone for your input, your tips helped me understand a few things I didn't before.

Don