Don Whyte

Global products recommended with Regional areas?

I'm about to dive into the Orbx products with a purchase of NA Northern Rockies. Will the Global packs provide any changes or improvements to the looks or performance of this regional area?

Thanks

Don Whyte

Hi Don,

PNW is great and as Doug says - it is complete. You might want to look at some of the airports for PNW. They are all very good.

My favourite (by a very small margin) is Orcas Is.

Paul

13 hours ago, Don Whyte said:

Will the Global packs provide any changes or improvements to the looks or performance of this regional area?

While the Global packs will not improve the NRM region as stated above, but it certainly improves the region's surroundings. If you fly near the border without a Global package, you'll encounter the default textures which are very different from the region and not a nice sight. With Global, the transition is more fluently.

For instance, when I do not pay attention to my whereabouts, I easily end up in Global scenery without noticing leaving a region. :)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Don Whyte said:

I'm about to dive into the Orbx products with a purchase of NA Northern Rockies. Will the Global packs provide any changes or improvements to the looks or performance of this regional area?

Hi Don, just a thought, as I don't know your level of attachment to that particular region, but another option would be to go for FTX Global Base and FTX Global openLC North America. If you do that you'll get a very fine representation of the entire Northern American continent, including Canada, Caribbean, Central America etc, at a level of detail that's not actually that far short of the individual regions themselves. 

Thanks all for your comments. I will for sure get some of those regional upgrades. I've started with NA Northern Rockies since it's close to home, excellent.

Andy I installed FTX Global Base and FTX Vector. They do indeed provide a wonderful improvement to the stock scenery. In the sim that is important for more than just "eyecandy" if you are flying by visual references.

However I do notice there are areas where the Base and Vector upgrades display glaring anomalies such as buildings in the water and holes in runways. For instance at Hay River (CYHY) in Canada's Northwest territories and at the Hinton /Jasper-Hinton airport (CEC4) in Alberta. From what I read in the Vectors subforum these errors are usually due to faulty airport data and mesh errors in the default P3D/FSX scenery.

Edited by Don Whyte