I treated myself to a new high spec P.C, loaded FSX-steam, and via my  fast Broadband service  couldn't wait to download my NA Northern California and Alaska sceneries.
Started at 6pm yesterday and decided to leave the P.C alone and check the download before going to bed at 11pm. When checking at 11pm FCX Central displayed 30% download at 433.4Kbs - Ok, goodnight.

7am, getting ready for work and thought I'd have a quick look at the download result....Download had froze sometime during the night at 40% !!! URGH !
Downloaded again and went off to work. Arrived home at 5pm, wife going out with friends so great, I can have an uninterrupted Sim session. Checked the downloads...downloaded 90% but had stalled again  - WHAT !! This is a complete joke.

I'm downloading again while letting off steam writing this..
I am surprised that ORBX have such a loyal customer base willing to spend their money on what is a good product, but a lousy delivery service. It seems forever that ORBX have been working on solving the 'download' problems, but they aren't really any closer. It is probably true that the majority of customers don't have issues downloading ORBX products, but those that do are still paying customers and deserve not to have their purchase experience ruined by bad delivery.

Lots of suggestions have been published on the forum how to improve the download times etc, most don't make any difference when tried, but my point is the majority of customers are not computer geeks,  we just want to download a product, enjoy it and get on with our live's. Instead, we are not treated like normal paying customers ! Where else would you expect to pay (not cheap) for a product then have to fiddle and mess around on Forums seeking advice on how to get the product onto your system ? It's laughable if you think about it !

I have been in business for 46 years, and no way would I have survived if I'd expected my customers to give me money then expect them to suffer frustration and anger trying to receive the product I'd sold them.. It just beggars belief when you really think about it. I truly believe this will be the down-full of ORBX, namely the terrible reputation they have for the mess in actually  'delivering' the product they sell. I for one, don't look forward to buying their products anymore because of the hassle I'm likely to have trying to receive it.

Ok, I've taken a break from typing this and taken a look at how my download is progressing - over 17 Hrs after my first attempt ! Guess what it say's - " the download was interrupted do you want to try again"....NO I BL###DY DON'T, I've had it with this company. ORBX please be reminded -you provide a product for mostly the 'hobby' market. Simmers will survive without your products. There's a lot of good quality alternatives out there. We don't NEED you. Not having ORBX on our P.C's is not the end of the world....we will cope, and continue enjoying our Sim experience without you !

Tell you what...Put the files on a disc and post off to customers. Simple, easy to install, no fuss, and we'd have a back up when we change P.C's or whatever. Until that happens I'm going elsewhere with my hard earned money.

Now gonna attempt to get my money back..
Oh yes - Can someone explain how I can uninstall ORBX from my P.C please?  Or have I upset too many loyal/ gullable customers ?

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your rant :)

Please visit this topic and test your connection speeds on the new CDN we are rolling out:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replying John. With all the download failures so far I've had good download speeds averaging over 400/Kbs. The downloads just don't finish !

What exactly do the Orbx libraries do ? I'm downloading it now (well I hope it completes). It looks like it's gonna be way over 2-3Gb.

If I eat humble pie and attempt to download NA Northern California and NA Southern Alaska one more time, if successful, will they automatically override any partial previous download. I really don't want to go messing about with files I don't understand.

One other thing - Should the FTX central V3 automatically find the FSX sim without me doing anything ?

Regards...

18 hours ago, joned said:

Thanks for replying John. With all the download failures so far I've had good download speeds averaging over 400/Kbs. The downloads just don't finish !

What exactly do the Orbx libraries do ? I'm downloading it now (well I hope it completes). It looks like it's gonna be way over 2-3Gb.

If I eat humble pie and attempt to download NA Northern California and NA Southern Alaska one more time, if successful, will they automatically override any partial previous download. I really don't want to go messing about with files I don't understand.

One other thing - Should the FTX central V3 automatically find the FSX sim without me doing anything ?

Regards...

I found out that my downloads did not finish, because there was not enough space available on my C-drive for the temporary files needed for installation (although my copy of P3d3 is installed on a different drive). It took me a long time to find out that this was the reason for the downloads not to finish. With older versions of FTX Central you got a warning that there is not enough space available, but unfortunately not with FTX Central 3.

Please also see my post # 9 in this topic:

Edited by wolfko

The download speed is chancing here too (but it will not stalled or something). However, I end up downloading the ZIP file from the website directly. And then used the manual installation option within FTX Central. The download speed from their website is maximum for me. So that worked as a charme. I just have to re-download it, for a fresh install, if there is a new version.