Well then chaps me and ayiesha and m rolo have been evacuated from our home because across the street a very serious fire is raging this started in a pub complex around five hours ago it looks like the whole building has gone. Ten fire crews are still fighting the blaze according to the police it will be a good few hours yet before they know when we can return to our homes the whole Street has been moved out. 

At least we are all safe.

cheers

Iain

FB_IMG_1484183530534.jpg

The important thing is safety and if you're so then that's great. In the end everything will work out fine! 

Edit: Hadn't seen the raging fire image. Hope everything turns out fine for everyone. 

Whoa! SO glad to hear you, Ayiesha and Mr. Rolo are all safe. I hope the fire gets taken care of with the least amount of damage to the neighborhood as possible. Again though, most happy to hear that you are all safe.

Just heard an update it's now 02.30 and we are not going to be getting back into the house until at least 10.30am after the next tele conference from the fire chiefs. The gas board are out turning the mains off and assessing the damage.

There's still 55 firemen tackling the blaze.

Cheers

Iain

2 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Just heard an update it's now 02.30 and we are not going to be getting back into the house until at least 10.30am after the next tele conference from the fire chiefs. The gas board are out turning the mains off and assessing the damage.

Cheers

Iain

Looks like it is going to be a long night for you but it is good that they are keeping you informed.

The gent in your pic reminds me of  Arthur Askey!

Ongoing: Building fire
(Barrow-in-Furness)
11 Jan 2017

At 20:56 firefighters were called to a report of a fire on Abbey Road in Barrow-in-Furness. When they arrived crews confirmed that there was a significant fire in a building believed to be Bar Continental. Hose reel and main water jets are being used to tackle the fire. Eight fire engines and a Aerial Platform was brought to the scene to deal with the blaze. It is likely that crews will remain at the scene for some time. UPDATE 22:15: Firefighters continue to battle the fire which has impacted on all of the three storey building. There are now 12 fire engines at the scene.UPDATE 22:30 An evacuation of people living around the incident has now taken place. Those not evacuated are being advised to stay indoors and keep their windows and doors shut. The fire is still burning and there is a chance that the building could collapse. UPDATE Midnight: Firefighting is continuing crews are likely to be there throughout the night. Those living close to the incident should remain indoors and keep their windows closed.

Glad you and yours are safe and well Iain, on the upside after the insurance investigators &  bulldozers clear the site, you will have some cleared prime realestate across from you. Hope they build / rebuild something nice to look at compatible with the area.

Its now 0925 and we went home to see if we could go in to our house the police let us in for ten minutes to turn our heating and electric things off and feed mr rollo and let him use his litter tray.

They have told us its still very dangerous because they are expecting the back wall of the building to come down.

So we have left again and will wait and see later.

Your safety is the most important thing - hope it is not too cold where you are staying. At least you have a home to go back to, unlike the landlord.

Now it's Barrow-in- Furnace ! If you will forgive my Geordie humour.

Poor Emmsie, best wishes to you and the nearest and dearest...and Rollo. Your house didn't burn down, that's something positive at least. Wait a second, the pub burnt down?! Ooh the humanity!

Cheers!/Andreas

Edited by addman

I hope you are able to get home soon and all is well Iain... Many years ago the house opposite ours caught fire in the middle of the night; the fire brigade got it under control quickly, so we didn't have to leave, but it was still terrifying. Being woken to screams of "FIRE!!!" is something I'll not forget, or want to hear agin.

You and yours are safe which is the main thing.

Thank you all chaps we are now back home, No damage to our house or any of my neighbours the building is being knocked down as we speak, What a night its been not one I would like to have again in a hurry.

The main thing everybody is well and nobody got hurt, We had around sixty firefighters at the peak of the fire here doing a fantastic job in putting it out hats off to them.

Here is the Grade 2 listed building before the fire.

_93538498_barrowpub.jpg

And after the fire.

4d1889ea-1f8a-4906-86af-b9f60f9709c3.jpg

cheers

Iain

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Thank you all chaps we are now back home, No damage to our house or any of my neighbours the building is being knocked down as we speak, What a night its been not one I would like to have again in a hurry.

Good news now, but what a night you (and especially Mr Rolo) had. Do you remember the generation of our parents, they were routined in leaving home during the night to seek shelter somewhere else. My Grandparents always had a suitcase packed with the most important things, even decades after the war.