Sign in to follow this  
hwh86

To be or not to be.....

I am seriously thinking about dropping PayPal. Once I close my account they will never open one ever again. I have been using them wherever I could so, it is not an easy decision to make. On the other hand I am absolutely livid that they have the power to stifle the start of a successful new venture by locking up somebody's account for an indefinite period. I am warming to the idea of using Stripe but they are not available at eBay, Flightsimstore or any other merchants I deal with except Orbx. So the thought process goes on and on and on.

I am with you - almost.  From what I hear, PP has overstepped their bounds a bit with manner in which they provide their oversight, and they treat the developers with disdain.  Stripe goes the other way -- developer is king, but they seem to provide no consumer protection at all.  In fact they make no representations whatsoever to the consumer (other than 'best efforts' to protect your CC), so handling there 'oversight' is not a problem with Stripe.  There is none.

Like you, I'd love to tell PP to pack sand, but they enjoy huge market share so all I am doing is hurting myself, as a consumer.  Tempting to make an emotional decision, but money demands at least some level of practical/rational thought.  Give me a good alternative, one that is truly equal, or even close to equal, and I am ready to bail.

2 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Like you, I'd love to tell PP to pack sand, but they enjoy huge market share so all I am doing is hurting myself, as a consumer.  Tempting to make an emotional decision, but money demands at least some level of practical/rational thought.  Give me a good alternative, one that is truly equal, or even close to equal, and I am ready to bail.

The simple answer is - there isn't one. They have you by the short and curly. You are right, we can't afford to cut off our nose to spite our face. I am no closer to solving my problem, the only thing in my favour is that Orbx is also in Australia so, using a CC may not be as risky as it might be for guys living in other countries.

4 hours ago, hwh85 said:

Orbx is also in Australia so, using a CC may not be as risky as it might be for guys living in other countries.

Well, I suppose.  But honestly, if I had a concern with Stripe I really wouldn't be on the fence.  I'd not even be having this discussion with myself.  That CC security discussion and the discussion of the fees seems to be the big areas where Stripe and PP are 'close enough' in my view. 

There are just other considerations that made/make feel good about using PP.  Once I had a dispute with a vendor and PP intervenes on your behalf -- at least they look into it long enough to see if you have a legitimate gripe.  Plus don't hit you for foreign transaction fees, which to me is a big deal.  And you can pay directly out of your bank account, to fill up your PP account.  There are just a few things that PP does for the everyday consumer that Stripe just doesn't really even try to do.  Stripe makes no warranties or representations AT ALL to the consumer, their sole focus is the seller and creating a seamless process (which is nice for the buyer, sure).

OK now maybe I come around on Stripe eventually.  Maybe I find a credit card with a small enough balance that I can use, and just live with it -- just for ORBX.  But it would not replace PP for all the other things I use it for, other than ORBX.  So we will see. 

I see the real problem here that Orbx was simply not properly prepared. Because, as you quite rightly point out, a large number of other flightsim-related sites have paypal - and no problems whatsoever. I don't recall FSS having come under such difficulties each time a new Orbx release was made available and their servers crashed due to demand. Or do you hear REX or Aerosoft mentioning moving away from paypal?

No - as with the bandwitdth issues Orbx did not recognise what was coming at them and got caught out. But it's not for us, the clients, who should have to be the ones to suffer the consequences, but for Orbx to get things settled if they want to play with the big boys. Or they should offer their products on other sales-platforms that allow us to continue purchasing as before.

Just my (probably unpopular) 2 eurocents...

Cheers

Mallard

• Upvote 3

I stop using regular CC a few years ago, for different reason and some personal one. At my shop taking CC and especially from customers farther away (just entering the # and not having the actual card in hand) because of the overwhelming RISK FEES.

I got away with also not having one fro me for about a year. But after that I was simply needing one for different reason.

No way I was going with another normal CC. They got me in trouble financially (my fault of course).

So I simply got a prepaid / self loaded one. It's hooked to my bank account so I put whatever money I need on it in second via my phone or whatever.

Otherwise I leave it empty.

I just can't imagine that even in Germany you can't get a similar CC.

PP is nice but it's no better then any other bank.

Ben

3 hours ago, Mallard said:

I see the real problem here that Orbx was simply not properly prepared. Because, as you quite rightly point out, a large number of other flightsim-related sites have paypal - and no problems whatsoever. I don't recall FSS having come under such difficulties each time a new Orbx release was made available and their servers crashed due to demand. Or do you hear REX or Aerosoft mentioning moving away from paypal?

No - as with the bandwitdth issues Orbx did not recognise what was coming at them and got caught out. But it's not for us, the clients, who should have to be the ones to suffer the consequences, but for Orbx to get things settled if they want to play with the big boys. Or they should offer their products on other sales-platforms that allow us to continue purchasing as before.

Just my (probably unpopular) 2 eurocents...

Cheers

Mallard

+1

Nothing more to say, I think.

Cheers Uwe

Edited by Red1963
typo

My wife was an ebay merchant for years.  She sold handmade purses and works of art and made a nice extra monthly income.  Couple years ago, ebay and paypal (owned by ebay) started getting anti-merchant so she quit.  We have not used paypal or ebay since then.  We've found Amazon Prime to be an excellent alternative.