For all those that think PayPal is a great security blanket...

Well - I provenly had a total of 5 cards so far burnt when paying vendors of online and "real" products directly through the credit card options on offer and had the hassle with getting replacements (at one time being left with a pretty much empty larder and just 10 EUR for a week before you can access your funds is quite an interesting experience). This never happened in connection when going for a Paypal-payment. Of course nothing is safe on the net, but there is "safer" for the customer. By the way - I even got in contact with one of the vendors when a second card got rendered useless two hours after using it on their site after one before that got smashed an hour after a previous purchase just to hear that it was impossible and could not be their fault. They used the best protection available etc. p.p. Sound familiar? ;)

Cheers

Mallard

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, PNW User said:

You might want to read this article....NOTHING is safe...nothing...

http://bgr.com/2016/01/04/paypal-account-security-hackers/

So what?

In this case (orbx) security is not the problem. But as Oliver already mentioned, spreading your CC informations over various providers doesn't make it more safe, in fact the opposite is the case.

And just to mention: I'm using Paypal for many years now and never had any kind of problem. But in the last 2 years I had 3 problems handing my CC to other stores (and their providers) calling themselves secure.

So hopefully Orbx sorts out their individual problem with Paypal, otherwise they will loose another customer.

• Upvote 1

We should all assume nothing is safe.  Now if you want to or have to use a credit card online the very simple thing to do is get one with a very low limit....say $500 and use it exclusively for online purchases that don't accept PayPal.  The bank will stand behind it if the card gets compromised and in the very unlikely (or impossible) chance your bank does not you are out a max of $500 which sucks but will not ruin your life.  Perspective people!!!!

Edited by mark767

Mark, that is rather a bizarre view. I don't fancy the idea of being 500$/€ whatever down, even if I could affords such a "minor" loss: For some people, a loss of $500 can be the difference between meals on a table or not. Not everyone has a monthly income that can absorb a loss of even this "minor" magnitude. Does that make them lesser customers?

The fact is and remains, solutions such as Paypal provide customers with a one-stop security system. The shop never sees the customer's personal details and just receives the processed amount. You might argue that the Stripe system OrbX uses also never forwards the customer's payment details to OrbX and simply processes the payment. However, I am being required to enter credit card details, including the CVC, every time I use the store. Now, if a third party has compromised the OrbXdirect store, keylogging picks up my details as I type it. My CC details have now just been compromised... for those who do not believe that real-time web-based keylogging is not possible: https://threatpost.com/web-based-keylogger-used-to-steal-credit-card-data-from-popular-sites/121141/

That is just one report. E-commerce plaforms of all natures are under attack.

I quite like the idea of being "kicked" onto a separate site to pay. I do not like having to enter sensitive information every time I wish to purchase something. I use paypal in pretty much every single e-shop I use. Now, I would use a similar platform such as amazon payments or whatever else, if they provided the coverage and simplicity of use. But that would lead to me no longer using the other service any more.

A

• Upvote 1

6 posts here and each one is correct.  Nothing is safe, but using a CC is probably still less safe.

Mark, your financial damage control method is probably the most effective, but very inconvenient.  Now let me offer you some perspective.

ORBX is not the only scenery developer that offers really, really high quality scenery products for FSX/P3D.  There are others.  I cannot afford them all, so having some perspective, I choose the ones I want the most and buy those.  That is generally ORBX, but there are a couple others in the running not far behind, and those are available through other channels which have managed to not get sideways with Paypal.  I think you get where this goes from here.  Call it market perspective.

My wife used to make mostly art things and sold them through ebay and paypal (which is owned by ebay).  She made a nice extra income each month.  However ebay and paypal became more and more anti-vendor and she quit a couple years ago as did a lot of other small vendors.  Reading JV's comments, it was like deja vu all over again, even though my wife's account was never frozen, and it looks like paypal has gotten worse and more autocratic over the last couple of years.  Good luck to John.  I hope he gets it straightened out and gets his money but I'm not holding my breath.  Paypal is fine for the buyer but can be hell for the seller.

6 hours ago, PNW User said:

You might want to read this article....NOTHING is safe...nothing...

http://bgr.com/2016/01/04/paypal-account-security-hackers/

One thing is clear....you know nothing about cyber security. Of course everything is vulnerable. But what we're talking about here is the best of the possible alternatives. If you really think PayPal is a problem then I suggest you just stay off the internet.....but even that may not help.

Doug 

Edited by Triplane
Edited bacuase I can't spel
2 hours ago, Triplane said:

One thing is clear....you know nothing about cyber security. Of course everything is vulnerable. But what we're talking about here is the best of the possible alternatives. If you really think PayPal is a problem then I suggest you just stay off the internet.....but even that may not help.

Doug 

Maybe we can tone down the rudeness on the Orbx forum? It's been relentless for the past 24 hours.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, BladderBoy said:

Maybe we can tone down the rudeness on the Orbx forum? It's been relentless for the past 24 hours.

I didn't even respond. I have been well educated to web security protocol, since the 80's.  His comment didn't merit a response.

I never would have  posted such vitriolic as that to another. 

Have a good one!

Cheers,

• Upvote 3