Jump to content
Alex Goff

announcement Introducing KBID Block Island: Bermuda of the North

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Perk said:

Tell me there's going to be an AI Downeaster Alexa somewhere in Block Island Sound??!

 

I have some extensive AI ferry routes mimicking the summer ferries from Long Island, Newport, and New London. High speed and regular, all coming in and out multiple times per hour :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mickel said:

Excellent.  I used this airport a lot in FSII days to test my VOR navigation.  A really good choice.  Looking forward to it.

 

You may be interested in knowing that the Sandy Point VOR was actually in danger of being decommissioned due to interference from the nearby windfarm:

 

http://www.blockislandtimes.com/article/faa-will-not-decommission-airport-navigation-device/33486

 

Also a fun stat from the article that Block Island is the busiest airport between JFK and BOS during the summer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mickel said:

Excellent.  I used this airport a lot in FSII days to test my VOR navigation.  A really good choice.  Looking forward to it.

:lol:  I used to do the same exact thing!  Man, those were the days of learning VOR nav and it actually worked too.  This looks spectacular Alex, a Catalina of the East.  I grew up in Boston (but I'm okay now :D) and I remember this little out of the way island.  Another must buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking very good Alex.

Plus having the new FTX Global North & South America Freeware Dec'16 just released with 80 new airports, 55 of which are in the New England/Maritimes regions - this is an inspired piece of new product placement.

Not sure if it was all coordinated, but it will ensure there are plenty of better quality destinations to fly to in the North East, from Block Island.

 

As regards the the Summer ferries - are they track able back to port of origin, or appear & disappear within X miles of Block Island??

TTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex,

Another master piece - mighty fine looking airport - you've certainly mastered your craft...

I've missed Vauchez's Flight Scenery Zone of the area from FS9 - it was a favorite - so this is like seeing an old friend.... All we need is KPVD... I'll be picking this one up for sure...

Don't forget to grab a Dell's Lemon Ice down by the harbor - I've been known to drive to RI from NY just to get one - they're THAT good...

I've landed @ KBID a bunch of times - looks like you captured the area extremely well... It's a nice relatively short runway - frequented by crosswind - that usually requires a little focus... I hope it does well for you...

Hah - now if only Bill Womack would finish that Nantucket of his....

Thanks for throwing us East Coasters a bone !!!

For comparison...

KBID-1_zpsiqvb2ldx.jpg

Regards,
Scott


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

Looking very good Alex.

Plus having the new FTX Global North & South America Freeware Dec'16 just released with 80 new airports, 55 of which are in the New England/Maritimes regions - this is an inspired piece of new product placement.

Not sure if it was all coordinated, but it will ensure there are plenty of better quality destinations to fly to in the North East, from Block Island.

 

As regards the the Summer ferries - are they track able back to port of origin, or appear & disappear within X miles of Block Island??

TTM

 

The ferries all return to their origin after waiting at Block Island a few hours. They're matched as closely to the real world as FS AI scheduling will allow, although I trimmed a few so they wouldn't collide squeezing in and out of the harbor. In the real world during the summer there are four or five ferries to the island, each departing almost once per hour. It gets busy!

 

49 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Alex,

Another master piece - mighty fine looking airport - you've certainly mastered your craft...

I've missed Vauchez's Flight Scenery Zone of the area from FS9 - it was a favorite - so this is like seeing an old friend.... All we need is KPVD... I'll be picking this one up for sure...

Don't forget to grab a Dell's Lemon Ice down by the harbor - I've been known to drive to RI from NY just to get one - they're THAT good...

I've landed @ KBID a bunch of times - looks like you captured the area extremely well... It's a nice relatively short runway - frequented by crosswind - that usually requires a little focus... I hope it does well for you...

Hah - now if only Bill Womack would finish that Nantucket of his....

Thanks for throwing us East Coasters a bone !!!

For comparison...

KBID-1_zpsiqvb2ldx.jpg

Regards,
Scott


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Scott's picture here is what started this project, when it was posted way back in the spring ;)

 

FlightZone RI was my first run-in with Block Island also, I remember being so disappointed it was the only non-photoreal area! But it put the airport in the back of my mind for the next few years and now here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you able to get the High School grounds, sports fields, [tennis courts]??, in, per Scott's photo.

Just to the right of the nose of the aircraft.

There's a tennis court on  one of the approaches to Telluride, so they are doable.:)

TTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex,

Hah - yeah - now I recall he didn't extend the photoreal to KBID - still I spend a lot of time in the area... You guys are doing things now we couldn't even dream of when FS9 was he "go to" sim...

Hmm - maybe I should go through my photo album more often - LOL...

Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Scott


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to this airport.  I flew there from Islip (KISP) back in 1991 after just getting my private pilot license and KBID was still a grass strip.  Spent the day at beautiful Crescent beach.  That was a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember flying out to this airport from the Manhattan area in subLogic's early rendition of Flight Simulator. I would plot my route out to it on the actual paper map that came in the software box, and then try to navigate out to it and back. I remember how excited I was the first time I managed to properly tune in the Block Island ATIS...I think for many of us, KBID was used for these early training sim flights in so many ways. For me, I was practicing my VOR nav skills like Jack and Mickel above, figuring out how to tune in the COM and NAV radio's, reading the compass and heading indicator...so many little skills. Oh, how far we have progressed. Great stuff!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I remember flying out to this airport from the Manhattan area in subLogic's early rendition of Flight Simulator. I would plot my route out to it on the actual paper map that came in the software box, and then try to navigate out to it and back. I remember how excited I was the first time I managed to properly tune in the Block Island ATIS...I think for many of us, KBID was used for these early training sim flights in so many ways. For me, I was practicing my VOR nav skills like Jack and Mickel above, figuring out how to tune in the COM and NAV radio's, reading the compass and heading indicator...so many little skills. Oh, how far we have progressed. Great stuff!

+10000

:lol: I did the same exact thing!  Loving it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Were you able to get the High School grounds, sports fields, [tennis courts]??, in, per Scott's photo.

Just to the right of the nose of the aircraft.

There's a tennis court on  one of the approaches to Telluride, so they are doable.:)

TTM

 

There are tennis courts there now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

+10000

:lol: I did the same exact thing!  Loving it!

 

I knew I was not alone :) Those early days were fun times. I had no idea back then just how far this hobby would progress, Truly amazing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

 

I knew I was not alone :) Those early days were fun times. I had no idea back then just how far this hobby would progress, Truly amazing.

I agree Sniper!  I used to LOVE doing that.  And now with P3D and Orbx I wouldn't have believed it if I had seen it back then.  We've come a long way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks beautiful. I grew up in Atlanta but my grandparents lived in East Greenwich, RI. When I would visit them as a child, we would ferry to Block Island for day trips. Many fond memories. Look forward to experiencing from above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this one is a real treat for me.  Born and raised in CT, I have great memories growing up and flying with my father.  Just a short flight from Robertson (4B8) in Plainville, CT, he would often fly me and a couple of friends out to spend the day at the public beach, grab something to eat and come home.

 

Ever since he passed away I recreate with a virtual flight on his birthday in late January.  Looks like it will be even more special this new year :) 

Edited by Tomesk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice to see you're moving into the Northeast area, the screenshots look awesome! Since you're at Newark I'm sure you'll be working back across Long Island upgrading the few airports we have. Lufker/Spadaro, Matituck, Grummans Calverton, Brookhaven, Islip, Republic Farmingdale.

Lufker/Spadaro especially since it's fighting the threat of closure. I built an experimental Zenith CH-701 that I fly and keep in my hangar at Spadaro.

Every summer I do a flight to Block Island for the weekend.

Lots of history at each of these airports and Long Island. 

 

Brian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BrianU said:

Very nice to see you're moving into the Northeast area, the screenshots look awesome! Since you're at Newark I'm sure you'll be working back across Long Island upgrading the few airports we have. Lufker/Spadaro, Matituck, Grummans Calverton, Brookhaven, Islip, Republic Farmingdale.

Lufker/Spadaro especially since it's fighting the threat of closure. I built an experimental Zenith CH-701 that I fly and keep in my hangar at Spadaro.

Every summer I do a flight to Block Island for the weekend.

Lots of history at each of these airports and Long Island. 

 

Brian

 

 

Even closer, I'm in Jersey City! 

 

I've given some thought to Long Island airports, it's just a matter of picking one really. I don't want to be stuck within the performance confines too close to NYC, so all except Republic are in my mental list. I'd love to drive out and take my own photos like at Bar Harbor. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to come out to Spadaro one day we'll give you the complete tour and a look inside the hangars, rides in RV-4, RV-7, RV-6, Zenith 701 and  place to stay overnight if you want to make a weekend with your partner. Also we go up north to Goodspeed and Sky Acres for lunch. We can fly you around to the other places like Montauk, East Hampton, Calverton, Brookhaven, Talmage, and Fosters Farm in Sagaponic. You'll have a good time and get some good research done. 

 

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Alex and bravo for this new scene of the coast is! I would just like to know if you envisaged a young traffic HAVE "New England Airlines, Caps Air) for this zone. It would be one more as for the scenes of Oceania of ORBX. Thanks to you and good continuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...