Sign in to follow this  
Stillwater

Berlin, du bist so wunderbar

Inspired by some wonderful screenies here on the forum I had to make a short flight at dawn over our Capital - with the challenge to decide on the corresponding music first. In contrast to MartynAir I did not choose the Beatles, but something with a little slideshow as a starter...

OK, mates, here we go from Tempelhof (where else?)...

2016-11-13_16-29BerlinEDDI.jpg

... to the Sowjet Memorial ...

2016-11-13_16-30sowjetmem.jpg
2016-11-13_16-32Sovjetmem.jpg
2016-11-13_16-33-24-709.jpg

... and one of the sponsored-name arenas where I refuse to remember the current name (usually this pays off for me).

2016-11-13_16-34O2world.jpg

Alexanderplatz, ...

2016-11-13_16-36Alex.jpg
2016-11-13_16-38-7-84.jpg

... and the political center. Too many POIs on this picture to name them. At least the "pregnant oyster" with her remarkable roof needs to be mentioned.

2016-11-13_16-43Oyster.jpg

The Goldelse in perfect light.

2016-11-13_16-44Else.jpg

And back to the airport across the Kurfürstendamm, ready for christmas shopping.

2016-11-13_16-46-10-548.jpg

• Upvote 3

I like the slideshow and unusual music to start with Gerold, even though I don't know what they are singing about!

Some amazing close ups of the POIs around Berlin.

Just shows how much work has gone into GEN, you have really put the developers to the test and they have come up with flying colours.

Lovely shots, Gerold. I've almost no knowledge of the layout of Berlin so the only POIs I've found there have been stumbled upon. I ought to educate myself with a guide book and go back round again - you've shown me some gems here.

• Upvote 1

What a superb trip, Gerold. The first time I saw the "pregnant oyster" was, when her roof had collapsed a few days before. As you can imagine, that was a few days ago, aaah, make that years, aaaah better decades ;)

22 hours ago, Red1963 said:

Nice!

Great set.

Cheers Uwe

Danke, Uwe!

22 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I like the slideshow and unusual music to start with Gerold, even though I don't know what they are singing about!

Some amazing close ups of the POIs around Berlin.

Just shows how much work has gone into GEN, you have really put the developers to the test and they have come up with flying colours.

Well, the song was not so fascinating to my passengers. But the level of detail, especially in twilight, was.

22 hours ago, RJ said:

Another one of your amazing posts! Fantastic! :)

Thanks, RJ!

22 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Hervorragende Bilder von deinem Ausflug! - Exceptional images of your outflight! ;)

Bitte sehr, immer gern. Ich sehe ja auch gern gutes von Dir...

21 hours ago, Taph said:

Danke Schon fine set Gerold

Bitte schoen, master of the postcards!

20 hours ago, Voyager said:

Pleasant views and nice starting clip.

I liked them all.

Voyager

As mentioned above: It was not the music that made me select the clip. It was the POIs, with many of them depicted in GEN also.

15 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely shots, Gerold. I've almost no knowledge of the layout of Berlin so the only POIs I've found there have been stumbled upon. I ought to educate myself with a guide book and go back round again - you've shown me some gems here.

Thanks, Andy. Google Earth with the GEN.kmz file can help, and I have even transferred the POIs I did not know into PlanG.

15 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

What a superb trip, Gerold. The first time I saw the "pregnant oyster" was, when her roof had collapsed a few days before. As you can imagine, that was a few days ago, aaah, make that years, aaaah better decades ;)

Oh yes, I do remember. Der gespannte Stahlbeton was not of superior quality... I think it was just some months ago.

14 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

This has made me decide to try to fly in GEN much more often.  I'm astonished at how many POI's there and the quality of them.

Berlin surely is one of the areas with highest POI density, so suited for the ultralight or a copter. Somewhere else you would even need to take a real plane to go from point to point!

14 hours ago, Bluebear said:

wunderbare Bilder ,

wonderful pictures , Gerold !!

Cheers

Bluebear

Danke, Bluebear!

11 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Very nice Gerold. " Ich bin ein Berliner" as Jack Kennedy said.

This would be a useful post title for another city tour here...

11 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Really nice detailed shots, well done.:huh:

cheers

Gumby

Just the use of light & scenery, Gumby... B)

2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Nice city tour and thank you for naming the POI's. I've learned a lot.

I am not sure if the Berlin names of the sights are well known outside the town. I have left out naming the "washing machine", the "powder box" is hard to recognize in the last shot, and the "battleship" is not well depictet in GEN (yet). Sure @Kasi31 can give us even more of these nicknames.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Julio Garcia said:

Berlin war, ist und wird immer wunderschön sein. Great Serie.

Haha, great song ;).

And we can say: GEN has supported the beauty.

Great pics sir!... I've just taken my first flight in GEN and I chose Berlin as a starting point.

I've got some pics uploading, but your's are better B)

Thanks, @Iain Emms!

2 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Great pics sir!... I've just taken my first flight in GEN and I chose Berlin as a starting point.

I've got some pics uploading, but your's are better B)

I am never sure whose pictures are "better". However the key points to me are inspiration & motivation. I´ll keep an eye open for your shots!