Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Greetings,

 

Other than the upcoming Germany South (I'm excited for that) have there been any announced future regions? What will be the next Open LC area? Also, is Half Moon Bay airport (for NCA) still in the works? 

 

Excited for 2017,

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are Maurizio's Nice, Jarrad's Innsbruck and Finni's Hammerfest. Plus there is the Buildings HD project, wherever is has been stuck in the pipeline.

 

If you ask me for my completely not authorative opinion, ORBX might well be working with some resources towards support for the upcoming 64 bit simulators. Of course without telling us as these are top-secret yet.

 

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to JV the next Open LC product will be for South America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

 

 

Edited by wolfko
Double Post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Colin M
9 hours ago, JohnE77 said:

Greetings,

 

Other than the upcoming Germany South (I'm excited for that)

 

 

So, Germany South is definitely in the works, Yes? I asked here a couple of days ago but with no reply assumed it wouldn't be happening any time soon.

 

Good news if is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Misha Cajic said:

I'll be finishing Half Moon Bay off after Santa Barbara is done :)

 

Misha

That's good to hear.  Been wondering what happened to KHAF...

 

Gar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank Misha, 

Looking forward to HMB too.  hopefully it will work okay with Nor Cal regoion well as KSFO and KLSQL are Frame monsters just by themselves

\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in order of release but releasing within the next 0-5 months :

 

Innsbruck 

San Diego

Santa Barbara

Bilbao

 

openLC South America

Germany South

Buildings HD

 

Project A

 

And another 15 projects through 2017 ...

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping there has been successful sales of Bar Harbor.  The East Coast (USA) currently has a WONDERFUL supply of  freeware airports, but I am so hoping that future plans include some creations that are NOT on the West Coast :(

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I so agree with vjcarlo!!!  Bar Harbor is great.  I just bought Block Island, but other than a quick look I've not tried it out yet (I'm currently on the west coast [SoCal, NorCal, PNW], and greatly enjoying it. But I do not believe in the "go to airport" menu selection, so it will be a couple of weeks before I fly back home to KFRG, and start flying New England again).  The west coast scenery is absolutely superb, but I agree with vjcarlo that I'd like to see some of the same applied to the east coast.

 

Whatever;  the Orbx scenery is great, at whatever level.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vjcarlo said:

Here's hoping there has been successful sales of Bar Harbor.  The East Coast (USA) currently has a WONDERFUL supply of  freeware airports, but I am so hoping that future plans include some creations that are NOT on the West Coast :(

 

 

Have you got KBID? Was released on 18th December. https://orbxdirect.com/product/kbid

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that the reason the East Coast hasn't been developed more is that it really doesn't have that much to offer, scenery wise. A 2000' hill in Vermont for example qualifies as a mountain and has a ski run. Denali, Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta are mountains. Alaska is scenic. I'm sure your interest lies in the areas where you reside, but I've just never seen that much on the East coast that would compel me to fly there. Prove me wrong. I'd be happy to take a flight to see what's so interesting on the East coast that would warrant further development.

 

My point being, everyone wants more development in their own neck of the woods but ORBX will appeal to the masses, which only makes business sense.

 

jsapair

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ORBX has said before that they don't make places that would be interesting to fly so much as they feel there is market demand for the product.  FTX Caribbean, for example, would be a super awesome project that'd be really fun to fly in, but it was specifically mentioned by John Venema a while back as a very unlikely product because there's just not a lot of market for that product (by whatever metric they use - I'm obviously not privy to it!)  I suspect that if the sales of their eastern US products are high, they'll continue to make more even if the area is somewhat dull compared to SAK or whatever.

 

Personally, I REALLY want that FTX Caribbean I mentioned, after spending 7 nights in Virgin Gorda last week, including the flights in/out on a BN-2 Islander, but I suppose I can understand where they're coming from on that.  I don't think that the Grenadines are one of FlyTampa's top sellers (based on forum posts - the only metric I have) despite being extremely well done and what I would use as the baseline for a good Caribbean product.

 

-stefan

Edited by shortspecialbus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. How many people would fly the Caribbean in the winter versus Poughkeepsie, NY? I consider myself blessed because I live in NCA and my area is covered by a full-fat region. But, unfortunately, not everyone has that. So come fly in my neck of the woods. Pretend you have a base cabin in AK...like Misty's Place in RTMM land. Fly from there, if you're into bush flying. Or if you're into the heavies plan a trip from L.A to SFO to Seattle to Ketchikan and THEN grab a puddle jumper bush plane.

 

I know "pretending" sounds a little juvenile on the surface, but we all do it, right? It's what immerses us into our hobby.

 

Using the above scenario I'd imagine myself a film producer from L.A, scheduled to meet Kevin Costner in Ketchikan with the idea of making a movie about the Alaskan wilderness. So I'd fly a semi-heavy, DHC-5 Buffalo from L.A to Ketchikan, doing all the radio freqs, the glide slope, the whole nine yards, at all the airports in between.

 

Then me and my new buddy Kevin Costner would pick up a Twin Otter Turbo at PAKT and go explore everything SAK had to offer; from Anchorage to the Aleutians, looking for filming locations. Got a lot of mileage out of that little scenario. Kind of gave me a reason to go flying to another location. Besides, he proved to be a very capable co-pilot and he bought dinner and drinks.

 

jsapair

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterGraves1980 said:

I am personally waiting for more news on Project P

Right O , Peter :)  I've been really selective on buying anymore expensive aircraft like the Boeing 717 til I know when "P" is close to being done and coming out of the oven.  I loved this last line in the change logs on the last Prepar3D client update " 

Thanks again for your support and we will see you all in 2017 with some major news!

 

:)

 

Edited by FireRx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, shortspecialbus said:

ORBX has said before that they don't make places that would be interesting to fly so much as they feel there is market demand for the product.  FTX Caribbean, for example, would be a super awesome project that'd be really fun to fly in, but it was specifically mentioned by John Venema a while back as a very unlikely product because there's just not a lot of market for that product (by whatever metric they use - I'm obviously not privy to it!)  I suspect that if the sales of their eastern US products are high, they'll continue to make more even if the area is somewhat dull compared to SAK or whatever.

 

Personally, I REALLY want that FTX Caribbean I mentioned, after spending 7 nights in Virgin Gorda last week, including the flights in/out on a BN-2 Islander, but I suppose I can understand where they're coming from on that.  I don't think that the Grenadines are one of FlyTampa's top sellers (based on forum posts - the only metric I have) despite being extremely well done and what I would use as the baseline for a good Caribbean product.

 

-stefan

 
 

 

For me, cross country over water is as visually stimulating as watching paint dry unless you turn off the GPS, go back to 50's era navigation and must search for those low clouds on the horizon and the other clues Mother Nature provides you.  

Of course, you could always call ahead, give them a long count and ask for an ADF Vector.

 

Want excitement?  Turn on the rain, set the time to 30 minutes before sunset and try to find your Carrier before you have to do a night trap in the rain.

 

312 Hours as a CAC chasing subs around the Caribbean 1955-1957 in the Grumman AF and S2F's of all stripes. 

 

OOPS. once again the "Old Foggie" memories just had to express themselves.

 

Gypsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cross country over water with no landmarks is indeed rather boring for a sim pilot, although if you hold at least some altitude you can follow islands entirely for most flights, even if it might not be the most efficient route.  From Virgin Gorda to San Juan there's plenty of islands to follow even at a couple thousand feet, and San Juan to Miami you can follow the Bahamas or Cuba for the most part.  Still, I get your point, and as much as I'd really like it, I'm not expecting anyone to ever make it.

 

-stefan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The upcoming products are nice, but I'm also looking forward to updates to openLC North America and Vector.

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any more airports in Germany North planned? I know right now there are some nice freeware airports and a commercial one, but I would like to populate Germany North with some more.

 

Robert-Jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2017 at 7:46 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

 

For me, cross country over water is as visually stimulating as watching paint dry unless you turn off the GPS, go back to 50's era navigation and must search for those low clouds on the horizon and the other clues Mother Nature provides you.  

Of course, you could always call ahead, give them a long count and ask for an ADF Vector.

 

Want excitement?  Turn on the rain, set the time to 30 minutes before sunset and try to find your Carrier before you have to do a night trap in the rain.

 

312 Hours as a CAC chasing subs around the Caribbean 1955-1957 in the Grumman AF and S2F's of all stripes. 

 

OOPS. once again the "Old Foggie" memories just had to express themselves.

 

Gypsy

Gypsy,

Night ASW never a dull moment!  A bit after you (1961) but night IFR always below 250' does keep the juices flowing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2017 at 8:50 PM, jsapair said:

My guess is that the reason the East Coast hasn't been developed more is that it really doesn't have that much to offer, scenery wise. A 2000' hill in Vermont for example qualifies as a mountain and has a ski run. Denali, Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta are mountains. Alaska is scenic. I'm sure your interest lies in the areas where you reside, but I've just never seen that much on the East coast that would compel me to fly there. Prove me wrong. I'd be happy to take a flight to see what's so interesting on the East coast that would warrant further development.

 

Having grown up in NY/GA/TN, and now being a 12 year resident of SoCal, I agree with you completely. The west coast is stunning and offers vast diversity. But I would argue that, while completely flat, the Florida Keys by Orbx would be a very popular scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would also love to see the Carabbean added.  I imagine it would be similar to that great scenery that Holger Sandmann gave us for, unbelievably, free.....PNG.

 

JimNZ

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer the northeast of the USA and people will buy it. I would in a second. People like to fly where they live, and more people live jammed into the northeastern US than just about anywhere in the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Oldar said:

Offer the northeast of the USA and people will buy it. I would in a second. People like to fly where they live, and more people live jammed into the northeastern US than just about anywhere in the country. 

 

Block Island and Bar Harbor await... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've heard a rumor that an unnamed developer is going to announce Martha's Vineyard - sure hope it's you, Alex!

 

It would be a great addition to all the islands released in that area over the last year.

 

I'm hoping for Oak Island with a treasure Easter Egg to find. No runway, though, have to take a floatplane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oldar said:

Alex, I have Bar Harbor and Block Island!

 

Then I'll have to make some more airports in the northeast for sure :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alex Goff said:

 

Then I'll have to make some more airports in the northeast for sure :)

I'd pay double for KBOS! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alex Goff said:

 

Then I'll have to make some more airports in the northeast for sure :)

Then I will have to buy them for sure:D.

 

Thanks Alex,

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...