Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stillwater

Hanse cities at the German baltic coast

Recommended Posts

I feel it is time to leave Velgast and to start a little historic tour along the baltic coast. The Hanse was a commercial and defensive confederation of merchant guilds and their market towns. This confederation lasted over a period which seems incredibly long nowadays... read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League . 

Some of these towns are quite detailed in GEN, and I could even include Norway into this lesson (which I skip due to time constraints). 

 

Frank dropped me off at Barth airport...

2016-11-2_20-59EDBH.jpg
2016-11-2_21-6-20-716.jpg
2016-11-2_21-9-21-436.jpg
 

... and soon we headed to the Hanse city of Rostock, ...

2016-11-2_21-16Rostock.jpg
 

... its harbor Warnemünde (now with a detailed harbor, improved to OLC), ...

2016-11-2_21-18Warnemunde.jpg
2016-11-2_21-19-54-430.jpg
 

... Schwerin, ...

2016-11-2_21-45Schwerin.jpg
 

... and the next former Hanse city, Wismar.

2016-11-2_21-51Wismar.jpg
 

A little detour to watch trade ships of the time near Fehmarn (plus a more modern one, https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_34_(Bundeswehr) ...), 

2016-11-2_21-58Fehmarn.jpg
2016-11-2_22-3S184.jpg
2016-11-2_22-7-48-716.jpg
 

... before we pass the sail ship Passat, a true Hamborger Veermaster (added to the scenery by @Fischkopp , many thanks!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passat_(ship) ...

2016-11-2_22-8Passat.jpg
 

... and reach Lübeck, the former Capital of the Hanseatic League. From the aereal view you can guess why the city was founded there.

2016-11-2_22-12Lubeck.jpg

 

Enough teaching for today, be prepared for a test shortly!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent and informative set Gerold.

What an interesting piece of history, something that I never knew.

Now I know the meaning of the name of your national airline too whose planes I was happily flying around Europe until last week.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @Mark Abdey, @Jack Sawyer and @Voyager !

 

23 hours ago, RJ said:

Beautiful shots Gerold and one in a million sub shot! :)

Indeed I was surprised to spot waves and no ship. So I went down to the Fehmarnsund...

 

22 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent and informative set Gerold.

What an interesting piece of history, something that I never knew.

Now I know the meaning of the name of your national airline too whose planes I was happily flying around Europe until last week.

Good to read I was able to add some knowledge to the community. A good excuse for our wifes who might ask why we spend so much time here...

 

20 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Excellent shots and narration, Gerold. I hope the test will be multiple choice ^_^

We´ll see... unfortunately we only have a "poll" function here.

 

8 hours ago, moonman said:

A very scneic tour here Gerold!

Very informative as well - and: Frank has a very nice car!

:)

I wonder if he added that object to the scenery himself. Or if he has friends at orbx...

 

6 hours ago, Stefan1980 said:

It looks really beautiful, I can't wait for Germany South :D

Overall the character of the country & cities is transported well. Even if we locals find gaps...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice shots as always Gerold! I like especially the last one (Lübeck). :)

 

12 hours ago, moonman said:

Frank has a very nice car!

 

Luckily you don't know my real car. If it could speak it would be French and if I remember correctly, it is bright blue - after washing (I intend to do it again in spring or so).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Frank Schnibben said:

Very nice shots as always Gerold! I like especially the last one (Lübeck). :)

 

 

Luckily you don't know my real car. If it could speak it would be French and if I remember correctly, it is bright blue - after washing (I intend to do it again in spring or so).

" Luckily you don't know my real car. If it could speak it would be French and if I remember correctly, it is bright blue - after washing (I intend to do it again in spring or so)."

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanky, @dolf8857 !

 

21 hours ago, Frank Schnibben said:

Very nice shots as always Gerold! I like especially the last one (Lübeck). :)

Luckily you don't know my real car. If it could speak it would be French and if I remember correctly, it is bright blue - after washing (I intend to do it again in spring or so).

Your car wash philosophy is exactly as ours. But I know my car was blue!

 

13 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

Great pics; all of these.  Especially like the last one.  Germany looks great.

Yes, Lübeck is an excellent example (out of the many very good ones) how Orby has really upgraded the city looks. Good work, great impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BradB said:

Wow - Impressive tour and shots Gerold !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks, John! Good to read your comments here - even if the currently get rare. Sure you´ll intensify again after mid December...

 

8 hours ago, luckyb52 said:

Nice set, Gerold. Super plane as well!

Cheers

Lucky  :)

///////////////////

Thanks Lucky. The 337 is a fantastic "expedition" bird, fast but useable on short runways. And even safe for ETOPS flights over the sea.

 

3 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fantastic set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks, Iain!

 

1 hour ago, Ripcord said:

Gerold, I enjoyed this one.  I hope you do more.  Thanks.

Sure I will, Mark, sure...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That's it.  After all these beautiful Germany shots I will be buying this today.  I have to go and explore all those awesome POI's.

 

Sorry Jack. Or better: Welcome to the club, you will surely find all these details amazing. I look forward to your screenshots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Sorry Jack. Or better: Welcome to the club, you will surely find all these details amazing. I look forward to your screenshots!

Thanks Gerold, Acronis'ing now then install as it's already bought on my other computer.

 

As soon as the backup is done I install GEN.

 

Now, please tell me where would be a good first airport to start from in a chopper.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

where would be a good first airport to start from in a chopper

My suggestion would be one of the detailed cities: Berlin or Hamburg. Plus, both have multiple airports to travel between.

Have fun...!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stillwater said:

My suggestion would be one of the detailed cities: Berlin or Hamburg. Plus, both have multiple airports to travel between.

Have fun...!

Thanks!  Berlin it will be.  Can't wait!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Now, please tell me where would be a good first airport to start from in a chopper.

 

 

Welcome to the GEN Appreciation Society Jack.

EDLE Essen Mulheim would be a suggestion.

Head off west and then follow the Ruhr to the Rhine, plenty of industry and other goodies to look at, although I have found any direction there is so immersive.

Ah Gerold has got in first and his  suggestion is ideal and he knows the place personally!

Maybe you can head to Essen next week as there is so much to see in Berlin!

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I was JUST about to make a post in the help forum because twice in a row it said it was checking my Orbx purchase.  And froze on that screen.  So I waited and waited and quit it twice.  Then just as I come here it starts downloading.  So according to my DSL I have 313.71 KB/s download with 7:26 HOURS left to go!  Yikes!  Oh well, if that's what it takes then I fly very late tonight.

 

Thank you both for offering some destinations to fly.  I've been to Germany in real life only once, for a month is the USAF in the 80's when I was in the UK.  I went to Jever and that's all the area I saw.  I remember it was Christmas time and VERY cold and had lots of beautiful snow.  I loved the food, the beer, and the people were nicest and most polite people you'd ever want to meet.  Also, there were zillions of Mercedes and BMW's!  Even the taxis were Mercedes!

 

EDIT: Gosh, 21 hours left to go! :o

Edited by Jack Sawyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gosh, I was JUST about to make a post in the help forum because twice in a row it said it was checking my Orbx purchase.  And froze on that screen.  So I waited and waited and quit it twice.  Then just as I come here it starts downloading.  So according to my DSL I have 313.71 KB/s download with 7:26 HOURS left to go!  Yikes!  Oh well, if that's what it takes then I fly very late tonight.

 

Thank you both for offering some destinations to fly.  I've been to Germany in real life only once, for a month is the USAF in the 80's when I was in the UK.  I went to Jever and that's all the area I saw.  I remember it was Christmas time and VERY cold and had lots of beautiful snow.  I loved the food, the beer, and the people were nicest and most polite people you'd ever want to meet.  Also, there were zillions of Mercedes and BMW's!  Even the taxis were Mercedes!

 

EDIT: Gosh, 21 hours left to go! :o

It took me 4 days to have it on my HD. A good time for housekeeping & wifey-well-doing, before you dive into the new region...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

It took me 4 days to have it on my HD. A good time for housekeeping & wifey-well-doing, before you dive into the new region...

Just got up and checked.  It finished as soon as I sat at my desk.  It took about 15 hours!

So I printed out all those pages of airports.  Quite a lot!  Loving that.

Will try to make a flight as soon as possible, looking forward to this new region.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...