When I was a kid I was obsessed with the wondrous Edgley Optica. In the 80's it was hailed as a revolution and to me looked like a type of insect with it's helicopter cockpit. A shame the company failed after a fatal accident and after more weren't made. Apparently a new company is re-evaluating the programme with the intent on making modernised versions. 

I got to see and look around one a few years ago at an Old Warden airshow and it hasn't lost it's appeal. Fingers crossed.

Anyhoos, my mission to cover the whole of ORBX Scotland landed me in the Argyll and Bute region starting in Bute then on to Machrihanish (I refuse to call it Campbelltown :D) where I once spent an annual camp in my cadet days. Lovely place... Dull camp. It was windy, rainy, little flying and endless promises of possibly witnessing a visiting SR71 or even the mystical Aurora which never bore fruit and probably had the staff there amused all week. We saw a lot of "special" planes with lots of dangly pointy bits but if I told you what they were I'd have to kill you.:D

Annoyingly not long after that camp photos of the Ekranoplan off the coast there emerged in the press. Doh!

I digress... Flew on to the tiny Gigha strip onto Islay, Colonsay, Oban, Glenforsa Mull then Tiree before ending up and beating the sun to Coll. Still love ORBX Scotland and the eagles that popped up now and then to keep me company.

Belter.

Enjoy.

3ErVjvI.jpg

5bJdA0W.jpg

BChghEk.jpg

5OlsmJu.jpg

vURwjgR.jpg

qa8tSmu.jpg

0aDXTj6.jpg

mseENJC.jpg

utjD4T0.jpg

Ulowg5M.jpg

G1FBoOr.jpg

dVuk5Kx.jpg

RgTnrGy.jpg

NnI8e37.jpg

HPDmHVj.jpg

ik54XAf.jpg

X6NVsOF.jpg

QqJzUBf.jpg

MwF3SX0.jpg

aw3H7ZE.jpg

yMe66BC.jpg

5y0zrkG.jpg

lwH0bdY.png

UPVKIdr.jpg

3tOKkZQ.jpg

SWcmXK6.jpg

liIqLtX.jpg

chSprvt.jpg

xkbjUR7.jpg

DX5mzRm.jpg

NhVszkW.jpg

0DfrtYZ.jpg

cY4kWO7.jpg

riyTsdj.jpg

3ApXUNL.jpg

2mQ4G0j.jpg

DNvZ31N.jpg

LUU0QWx.jpg

YqjaXBr.jpg

3MSdg6y.jpg

Erc12ot.jpg

6AEV32C.jpg

edBLncH.jpg

ZiQFtfP.jpg

HyV3o9N.jpg

8xC2EV0.jpg

Tt1maaZ.jpg

FRhX2C2.jpg

yB5pAcU.jpg

XUZR6zT.jpg

uJjZVa2.jpg

yUSHmCr.jpg

XflRWNw.jpg

pTHuslE.jpg

zT6MxxF.jpg

DsFfqLp.jpg

3txfakA.jpg

6JdX4rE.jpg

QIkDYel.jpg

UDyRvFL.jpg

uWYKGpw.jpg

Edited by Lane Thomas Hewitt
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, magicgriff said:

Interesting looking Plane! Nice set of shots along the way.

Cheers M.

It is a cool plane. Quirky to fly much like the original by all accounts. It's so STOL it's quite hard to land. I read one pilot say it's a work of evil and he flew it twice and deemed never to do it again. Haha. Apparently those who master it adore it though but that's probably down to all the damned effort they have to put in to do so.

Lovely shots, Lane. I have Scotland (and the Optica) on my system but never seem to get the pleasure out of the place that you obviously do. Possibly because I don't know the real place, but your trips are proving to be a good guide as to where I should go exploring, so thank you.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely shots, Lane. I have Scotland (and the Optica) on my system but never seem to get the pleasure out of the place that you obviously do. Possibly because I don't know the real place, but your trips are proving to be a good guide as to where I should go exploring, so thank you.

Cheers Andy.

Yeah Scotland throws up some lovely surprises especially little things like salmon and trout farms but also old disused military airstrips oil rigs and some castles (and that certain watery beastie of course). I can't find certain things such as Balmoral Castle, Inverness Castle and the like but they may come in an upgrade or be positioned wrongly. Not sure. My system has a low graphics processor so on some of the shots I have to pause and wait a bit before screen dumping but it's worth the wait. I've still to tackle Glasgow, borders, Fife and Aberdeen and Dundee. Still a lot to see if not as rugged. 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent mega set, enjoyed looking at them all.

Wonderful scenery and some formation flying with Goldie in some of your shots.

I love Scotland but never went to the west coast which is a shame.

Saw an Optica at the Bicentennial Airshow at Richmond NSW in 1988, always wondered what happened to them.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent mega set, enjoyed looking at them all.

Wonderful scenery and some formation flying with Goldie in some of your shots.

I love Scotland but never went to the west coast which is a shame.

Saw an Optica at the Bicentennial Airshow at Richmond NSW in 1988, always wondered what happened to them.

Cheers Shaun.:)

Hopefully they are making a return. The design was excellent, ahead of it's time. With all of the composites available now and modern systems and powerplants it could find a space.

• Upvote 1

Huge set. There goes my download allowance:) If it is not too much trouble could you please advise the names of airfields from start to finish as I would love to duplicate your trip especially as I do have the Orbx Scotland scenery. FSS Order Number: 0218223    Cheers Dan.

I agree with your decision to use original Scottish names as my Great great grandfather was at Culloden on the right side but we lost. ;D(come on, such a long time ago moderators, surely not a political comment such a long time ago;)

Edited by Bassman
correct punctuation
6 hours ago, Bassman said:

Huge set. There goes my download allowance:) If it is not too much trouble could you please advise the names of airfields from start to finish as I would love to duplicate your trip especially as I do have the Orbx Scotland scenery. FSS Order Number: 0218223    Cheers Dan.

I agree with your decision to use original Scottish names as my Great great grandfather was at Culloden on the right side but we lost. ;D(come on, such a long time ago moderators, surely not a political comment such a long time ago;)

Bute, Campbeltown, then on to the tiny Gigha strip onto Islay, Colonsay, Oban, Glenforsa Mull then Tiree before ending up and beating the sun to Coll.

• 1 month later...