An image heavy jaunt in a Diamond DA40 in fine weather with the odd bump from Barra, through Plockton then Stornoway for a cuppa up the west coast of Scotland and across to Wick for a snack before exploring the little airfields scattered around the Orkneys before parking up for a whiskey at Kirkwall.

ORBX Scotland almost fully explored now and it marvellous.

Cheers,

Lane.

1iUSEph.jpg

hK0z8tO.jpg

D6XDFuV.jpg

xm1Lox7.jpg

s2Gh207.jpg

4Nw7JXT.jpg

FzoZJkh.jpg

1j0GTzB.jpg

OEkWwlp.jpg

Z3D2Y2Q.jpg

4vBULg1.jpg

TPdUWgf.jpg

KiVE65B.jpg

bc1u18n.jpg

Hoqmyqa.jpg

caJdutA.jpg

sCCs2aC.jpg

p5yxK8D.jpg

NdM80tt.jpg

enH1zPD.jpg

o1NL7Qj.jpg

9WWoSvW.jpg

tw7vwne.jpg

UwTgVVE.jpg

eaGYKtJ.jpg

5r8aSh9.jpg

9Q2jhTy.jpg

r234ta0.jpg

3Dxb60l.jpg

Aforipf.jpg

oxumcAz.jpg

0Vg9ORC.jpg

mHpHDGk.jpg

KMAz4Ur.jpg

7L9Dy5B.jpg

4nOtqLC.jpg

KVyZeyn.jpg

8QWg2Sp.jpg

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That must have been one FUN trip!  And those mountains are just beautiful.

It was fun Jack. I'm going to have to explore Scotland more I hadn't spent much time on the western side before other than island hopping. I'm going to buzz around the inland mountain areas it was great scenery. ORBX have done a great job.

Cheers,

Lane.

4 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Beautiful scenery in these, are you using any shader tweeks to get that blue haze?

cheers

Cheers Ken,

It's a mixture of the visibility settings (20m), light bloom and camera flare before flying then playing around with bog standard MS Photo to add a bit of depth and focus in an attempt to make the pics look like a photo as best I can. It can be tricky because of the lens flare effects.

Lane.

9 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Scotland is another place that I need to find time to fly in more often.  Can get challenging real quick, too, with a bit of weather thrown in.

Cheers Ripcord,

You're not wrong. I've flown around with realtime weather around the highlands and been forced high a lot. When I decide to do a screenshot flight I set the weather myself to avoid it.

Lane.

I visited Barra in the Twin Otter shuttle from Glasgow the week before last. From the back of the plane I could see the water, then the headland passing and lastly the beach below...I wasn't concerned but apparently those on the ground (they get a crowd of about 20 at this time of the year in the afternoons at least, times of flight being dependent on there being sand to land upon) were amazed to see us emerge from the mist. In short the 2nd scheduled flight of the day was cancelled and I was in effect 'marooned'.

No worries the people of Barra are very hospitable and I was well cared for.

There are no trees, not even bushes near the airport. Just long grass. I was shown a small tight valley in which there were small bushes and was told that was the extent of tree life on Barra....Fraser in Dad's Army described it as 'a wild and windy place' and I cannot disagree.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Haydon the Womble said:

I visited Barra in the Twin Otter shuttle from Glasgow the week before last. From the back of the plane I could see the water, then the headland passing and lastly the beach below...I wasn't concerned but apparently those on the ground (they get a crowd of about 20 at this time of the year in the afternoons at least, times of flight being dependent on there being sand to land upon) were amazed to see us emerge from the mist. In short the 2nd scheduled flight of the day was cancelled and I was in effect 'marooned'.

No worries the people of Barra are very hospitable and I was well cared for.

There are no trees, not even bushes near the airport. Just long grass. I was shown a small tight valley in which there were small bushes and was told that was the extent of tree life on Barra....Fraser in Dad's Army described it as 'a wild and windy place' and I cannot disagree.

Yip, It's all sand, grass, rocks and gorse.

Thoroughly enjoyed your fantastic flight.

The mountain textures are wonderful.

On ‎19‎/‎9‎/‎2559 at 8:11 AM, Ripcord said:

Scotland is another place that I need to find time to fly in more often.  Can get challenging real quick, too, with a bit of weather thrown in.

A top place to fly around and your observations on the RT weather are spot on.