Flew through that region in an AN-2 the other day & it was very spectacular scenery.

Your rendition is looking very good, captures the sparse/cold sense of the location.

If you run more screenshots, 4 seasons for 1 foliage  location near the airport would be interesting to see.

TTM

Yesss! I always considered the Prince William Sound as the big cold brother of the Milford Sound, a favorite of mine. Looks fabulous.

Did you pry that project from Alex' warm living hands? :lol:

This is great, because I fly into this airport quite often when I fly the SAK region. Thanks for the previews. :)

Yes this was a damn fine choice, this one right here.  Definitely one of those on my wish list for this region.

Looks good, and I would say it looks like it is pretty far along, as well.  Hope we'll get our hands on it here in a few weeks, if all goes well with testing (it has to be close to testing at this point).

Just now, Juanvito said:

Is the shipwreck visible (in real life and in here)?

It never sank, just ran aground on a reef in the sound (I am assuming you are referring to the Exxon Valdez).

Excellent choice to build this field!!

looking very forward to this one!! :)

Oh ho ho, if you don't mind umpire.

Thought I my dyslxeia was playing up again but it is true.

Excellent news and wonderful first shots.

Excellent choice ! I loved this airport from the beginning of Orbx adventure in Alaska, i have noticed this place, surrounded by high mountains.

A good spot between Juneau and Anchorage, thanks

Dom Mason

Finally a new airport for my long-time favourite region. PAVD is such a logical choice as well. Looking forward to the finished product!

Cheers!/Andreas

Wohoo! Something new for the Southern Alaska region at last. Great choice! And when you are finished with this project please consider doing some more SAK airports (I'd like to see Seward as a full airport addon for example)

Love it! More Alaska stuff, and one of my favorite GA stop-bys! If it will be as friendly to frames as Yakutat is, I'm 10/10!

-Esa

This is fantastic, it is great to see more southern alaskan destinations - I've bought them all!

I have this secret wish that ORBX will eventually expand west to include Talkeetna, McGrath, Unalakleet, Nome.... Talkeetna with it's picturesque town which deserves a complete model, is begging for the ORBX treatment. And it is the gateway to the Mt Denali tours! Don't forget Don Sheldon's hut on the glaciar :) *fingers crossed*

Back to Valdez - it already gives the sense of cold wilderness... Just beautiful.

Hi Marcus. Thanks for the previews, the detailed mountain scenery is really a beauty, well done! Looking forward to explore this one soon...

cheers

Thorsten

This is very much encouraging me to hurry up and get my PC working again!

24 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Amazing scenery and screenies.  I love the SAK landscape and your scenery just puts the icing on the cake.

Cheers,

well, i'd rather have icing in the Sound

Edited by dominique

This will be a nice addition to the area, definitely on my purchase list.

Thank you giving us Valdez, one of my favorite places to fly into.  I worked as an engineer/superintendent in the mid 70's on the terminal.  I used to ride an Alaska Airlines 727-100 from Anchorage to Valdez.  I currently "fly" my 737NGX on my simulator on that route quite often, even though in real life they stopped flying jets into there decades ago.  Your new scenery will make the flying awesome.  It's just like being there.  Here are some neat things to do which the old 727 actually used to do:

1.  Valdez gets 500 inches of snow a year and 70 to 90 mph winds right down RW 6 from the glacier on ocasions.  All the mobile homes and outhouses had to be tied down or they would blow over.  When we were landing on RW 6 with those kind of winds, the cars on the road from town against the bottom of the mountain to the north would actually keep up with or actually pass us at our approach speed of 140 kt.  The winds also made it exciting to take off on RW 6 because you had to bank hard right at low speeds to avoid the mountain in front of you and when the wind hit the bottom of the plane , it would try to roll it over and make it lose altitude.

2.  If the winds were from the west, we would land on RW 24.  That meant making a 180 degree left turn toward the runway and leveling out just as the mains hit the runway.  Those Alaska Airline pilots that fly in Alaska have got to be some of the best in the world.

3.  It is usually cloudy and raining with ceilings at 2000 to 3000 feet in Valdez.  In the 1970's there were no instrument approaches to the airport, but if it was VFR under the clouds, the pilot would fly under them through the "narrows" at the west end of the bay and head for the airport.  It was like flying into a huge room with the clouds as the ceiling and the mountain sides as the walls.

The photo below was taken of the inaugural flight in April of 1974 in Valdez.

Valdez_0005.jpg

Edited by CycloneMike
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2016 at 3:41 AM, CycloneMike said:

Thanks for sharing your memories, Mike !  I'll keep those in mind when flying there now  ! I have to try that RW 24 landing.  I flew there today with a 737-200 using the Mineral Creek NDB approach (hand flying as the aircraft has only a Sperry 77 :))  Flynig over the ridge from the IAF is such a spectacular arrival ! 

On 2016-09-04 at 3:41 AM, CycloneMike said:

Thank you giving us Valdez, one of my favorite places to fly into.  I worked as an engineer/superintendent in the mid 70's on the terminal.  I used to ride an Alaska Airlines 727-100 from Anchorage to Valdez.  I currently "fly" my 737NGX on my simulator on that route quite often, even though in real life they stopped flying jets into there decades ago.  Your new scenery will make the flying awesome.  It's just like being there.  Here are some neat things to do which the old 727 actually used to do:

1.  Valdez gets 500 inches of snow a year and 70 to 90 mph winds right down RW 6 from the glacier on ocasions.  All the mobile homes and outhouses had to be tied down or they would blow over.  When we were landing on RW 6 with those kind of winds, the cars on the road from town against the bottom of the mountain to the north would actually keep up with or actually pass us at our approach speed of 140 kt.  The winds also made it exciting to take off on RW 6 because you had to bank hard right at low speeds to avoid the mountain in front of you and when the wind hit the bottom of the plane , it would try to roll it over and make it lose altitude.

2.  If the winds were from the west, we would land on RW 24.  That meant making a 180 degree left turn toward the runway and leveling out just as the mains hit the runway.  Those Alaska Airline pilots that fly in Alaska have got to be some of the best in the world.

3.  It is usually cloudy and raining with ceilings at 2000 to 3000 feet in Valdez.  In the 1970's there were no instrument approaches to the airport, but if it was VFR under the clouds, the pilot would fly under them through the "narrows" at the west end of the bay and head for the airport.  It was like flying into a huge room with the clouds as the ceiling and the mountain sides as the walls.

The photo below was taken of the inaugural flight in April of 1974 in Valdez.

Valdez_0005.jpg

That is such interesting stories about Valdez! Thank you so much for sharing. When working with a product like this for months and you start wondering about the life in the town and how it is to be walking at that apron or fishing by the water, its very nice to hear from someone who has actually been there and experienced it.

Maybe you have more memories and maybe even some pictures from the town from your time being there? Would love to hear more.

Also, hope you'll like the way our version of Valdez turns out and you feel in some sense back to those days when you fly there in the sim.

Cheers,

Marcus, the developer.

• Upvote 1

And thank you everyone else for that matter for the friendly words!

For those of you asking for more attention to the Alaska region, I have to say it's been a lot of fun making Valdez and I have some other candidates on the list for future developments that might be appealing ;)

One thing at the time.

• Upvote 2