Sign in to follow this  
Steve Colbert

Help - New GTX 960 - Same Texture Loading Issues

Well, friends, the good news - I bought a GTX 960, installed it (I was nervous about this, but it worked!) - and installed updated drivers.

It (generally) is a totally different experience - brighter, crisper, better reflections, etc. than my former GTX 745.

Except  - the "texture loading" issues remain - ESPECIALLY around the San Juans.

Was coming into Friday Harbor from Anacortes and the following happened - FHR runway textures not loading, the guy and propeller in my Alabeo Cardinal not loading - same nonsense as before that I thought this much faster card would fix?

So if I have a fast processor and a now much faster card (yes, I know not a 970 but WAY faster than before, and people with slower cards never see this?) - why all of this texture loading lag time?

Is this a hard drive issue?   I wouldn't think the hard drive would be needed to load propeller textures it had just shown a moment ago?

I have some sort of SSD hooked into a regular HD - is that an issue?

Or do I have some .cfg setting or graphics card setting totally set incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated...

bad2.jpg
bad1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jimmy Chan said:

Did you delete your shader cache?

-J

Nope, but a good idea, I'll try that in the AM.

I used to have similar issues years ago.  Others always seemed to have fewer problems than me.  I started buying the best motherboard I could afford, usually in the top 5 or so pricewise.  Since then I've always had much better FSX performance.  Even my last card, the GTX660, ran most sceneries at 2560 x 1440 at 30+ fps, and I never experienced OOMs etc that so many people seem to have.

I have no evidence but I now believe that the cheaper motherboards have second rate CPU to GPU connections etc.  Not saying it applies in your case but it is worth considering if you can't seem to resolve graphics issues.

Thanks for the responses, guys....

I deleted my shader cache and it may have helped a little.

just completed a FHR to Nanaimo flight in my Carenado Navajo with no issues to speak of.

The new graphics card is helping for sure, I just think that my rig struggles with texture loading when trying to load FHR, Orcas, Anacortes, etc all at once.

Why I have this issue and nobody else does may be a motherboard thing or something with my funky SSD fed by a normal HD setup.

I need to remind myself that Friday Harbor isn't the ONLY place to fly - tons of other regions and with NA LC coming it's going to be like one huge region :)

Look at your CPU cores load. If you see a core running at max, try using a different affinity mask in your settings to see if it helps.

50 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Look at your CPU cores load. If you see a core running at max, try using a different affinity mask in your settings to see if it helps.

Thanks, Mike - I'll need to check out how to do that etc.

I'm not sure that I've ever played with that setting in the .cfg or how to monitor my core usage before - something new to learn every day in this hobby.