Hi all,

We'd like to introduce you to a new way to purchase Orbx products. We're calling this OrbxDirect.

Simplicity is key. We've made it as simple as possible to purchase products and have them stored in your Orbx account. 

Our homepage was getting a bit cluttered, so we decided to move all of our products into easy to find categories which are accessible via the "products" menu at the top of the page. The new website is also faster and better looking on mobile devices.

QH9ErqB.jpg

When you're on the categories page, you'll find the products grouped by their product type, and then displayed in large cards with the simulator compatibility easily viewable.

lFCsRAZ.png

Product pages have received an upgrade too! We have bold, larger thumbnails for our product screenshots.

LR2QU6R.jpg

Products can be purchased using credit card or PayPal. Please note: we won't support any other forms of payment such as bank transfer.

HIsxuSm.png

Once you have purchased a product, it is then stored in your Orbx account, where it can be downloaded easily via FTX Central v3, or using a manual .zip download.

sVRzLRG.png

Freeware has not been forgotten. Each freeware item now has its own independent product page.

AB3gxga.jpg

FTX Central v3

HsuZ5re.png

We have a lot of improvements planned for FTX Central v3. We started to experiment with downloading product updates in FTX Central v2, but we're taking this a step further in FTX Central v3. You will now be able to download your entire Orbx product library via FTX Central.

Coupled with a UI refresh, this will be our biggest FTX Central update yet! 

Migration from The FlightSim Store
We've been working with The FlightSim Store to easily migrate a customer's Orbx products into an Orbx account. This is not an automatic process and it will require your permission to opt-in to the OrbxDirect store before we can access your FlightSim Store data. We will have an easy to use online wizard to help with this migration. Once migrated, all your purchase history with The FlightSim Store will move to OrbxDirect.

Physical DVDs

We will continue to outsource the shipping of physical, plain wrapper DVDs to The FlightSim Store.

If you're a new first-time Orbx customer, the process is even easier - just create an account and you're good to go.

It's important to note that Orbx products will no longer be available to purchase from The FlightSim Store once the OrbxDirect store goes live. We anticipate this to be sometime in August. Stay tuned for more information.

• Upvote 9

OK fine.

Who does the customer support then, in the event there is glitch?  ORBX or FSS?  Or is this really just an extension of FSS storefront?

Now that sounds great! Does this mean we don't have to enter licence data anymore when downloading and installing via FTX Central? Will there perhaps also be a "install all" function, so that when I want to reinstall my complete PC I can just press this button, go to sleep and have a fully installed ORBX environment in the morning?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheGreenToad said:

Now that sounds great! Does this mean we don't have to enter licence data anymore when downloading and installing via FTX Central? Will there perhaps also be a "install all" function, so that when I want to reinstall my complete PC I can just press this button, go to sleep and have a fully installed ORBX environment in the morning?

I must say, that would be too good to be true.

• Upvote 1

Since we're not dealing with Microsoft then everything will work out just fine. ORBX is way better! :)

Looking very good, the FTXcentral is really improving a lot with each new update. I hope that the flightsimstore will still remain in business but getting all ORBX products directly into an ORBX store makes very good sense. 

1. Can we still DL and buy from the FSStore if we so desire? and 2. I pay with Paypal, is this still an option? Teecee.

Edited by teecee
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, teecee said:

1. Can we still DL and buy from the FSStore if we so desire? and 2. I pay with Paypal, is this still an option? Teecee.

Ben did make the following statements in his original post:

6 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

Products can be purchased using credit card or PayPal. Please note: we won't support any other forms of payment such as bank transfer.

It's important to note that Orbx products will no longer be available to purchase from The FlightSim Store once the OrbxDirect store goes live.

Sounds good. I have a few questions.

- Will the new direct store infrastructure support multiple people downloading new products on release ? Hate to see big new releases hit, and DL at dial-up speeds.

- Will FTX Central 3 support resuming downloads that were interrupted like the download managers we use to get big products from FSS, or will a hiccup at 3.9 gigs of a 4 gig product require us to start over ?

- Will FTXC3 support multi-part downloads (simultaneous connections) like download managers used for FSS, again to hopefully avoid abysmal DL speeds and other connection hiccups.

- Will the download and install of a new product be separate things, or combined. Either way, will we be able to select where the product is downloaded to for installation, so that it doesn't end up on a slow spindle drive, and take forever to unpack and install to the SSD our sim resides on ?

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do to make our sims better. Happy flying. :)

Edited by Captain Z
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

Will the senior member still get their discount?

Patience Pat - think you will find all the moderators are airborne on their way home from the FlightFrenzy .....

It's important to note that Orbx products will no longer be available to purchase from The FlightSim Store ...

This certainly sounds very convenient, but, I worry that Adrian is being cut out of the loop and will loose out on his commission. He has worked hard and provided a great service. My guess is that Orbx products made up a large part of his business.

Edited by tuisong
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, tuisong said:

It's important to note that Orbx products will no longer be available to purchase from The FlightSim Store ...

This certainly sounds very convenient, but, I worry that Adrian is being cut out of the loop and will loose out on his commission. He has worked hard and provided a great service. My guess is that Orbx products made up a large part of his business.

Business is business, anyone running one will tell you there are always tough choices to make

Regarding the "Download via FTX Central" option, will that download an installer that can be run multiple times over time (such as when installing new P3D versions)? 

You can to choose to either download/install via FTXcentral, or download a traditional zip containing an installer,

From the testing I've done as a mock-customer its a slick clean and exceptionally easy operation from whim-to-sim

I presume if I decide to opt out of the migration process to ORBX Direct the situation at present stays the same and all my personal information and existing product licences will remain with The FlightSim Store. Until I am completely satisfied that the new purchasing and downloading scenario works as smoothly as it is at present I'm not changing a thing as I'm happy with the way things are. If I am forced to change to ORBX Direct to buy ORBX products then maybe I'll rethink any future purchases. 

• Upvote 1

My main concern is download speeds. The FSS downloads speeds were absolutely GREAT, while in FTX even the small data from  the Freeware Packs takes ages.

I loved the idea someone above posted regarding download and install ALL after a new sim reinstall. That would be a dream!

Two concerns to be frank :

- With FSS, I've had, since day 1, full and swift access to all my downloads without any interruption whenever I needed them. On the other hand, the OrbX forums have had an history of regular outages (I don't speak of the recent events). Not to be able to connect to the forums is a very minor annoyance, I would not say the same for not being able to connect to my account for few days in a row. I may wait a little bit before migrating to be sure that all the necessary redundancies are in place. 

- FSS has had, for us Europeans, an important edge, sparing us the wretched VAT.  I hope that OrbXDirect will be based offshore Europe and sensible enough to continue this tradition.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, dominique said:

With FSS, I've had, since day 1, full and swift access to all my downloads without any interruption whenever I needed them.

Hi,

do you need this so often or frequently?

Spirit

Just now, spirit_66 said:

Hi,

do you need this so often or frequently?

Spirit

Is it your business what I do or do need ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, dominique said:

Is it your business what I do or do need ?

No, for sure not, That was only a curious question. Why so unfriendly Monsieur?

Spirit

4 hours ago, tuisong said:

No one will care, but I am old-school and share your thoughts. Adrian has provided a great service for many years indeed. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, dominique said:

Two concerns to be frank :

- With FSS, I've had, since day 1, full and swift access to all my downloads without any interruption whenever I needed them. On the other hand, the OrbX forums have had an history of regular outages (I don't speak of the recent events). Not to be able to connect to the forums is a very minor annoyance, I would not say the same for not being able to connect to my account for few days in a row. I may wait a little bit before migrating to be sure that all the necessary redundancies are in place. 

- FSS has had, for us Europeans, an important edge, sparing us the wretched VAT.  I hope that OrbXDirect will be based offshore Europe and sensible enough to continue this tradition.

Being from Europe as well, I share both of Dominique's thoughts.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 3

Wow, amazing how most glasses here seem half empty... I would have expected everyone to be very excited about the fact we will no longer have to use the Flightsim store wrappers anymore. No more entering of all these individual purchase numbers, dates and codes. That makes me very happy. Thanks Orbx for this very user friendly solution.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Wow, amazing how most glasses here seem half empty... .

I will compare and judge both of them - after having used the new scheme for half a year.

Kind regards, Michael

Sorry for the pun, but doesn't that sound like "full Steam ahead" for FTX Central? What I mean is, isn't the concept similar to that of the Steam app and store?

Could work out rather fine here as well, but I would be interested in the V.A.T. thingy, too.

• Upvote 1

If I read this I'm remembered at the Aerosoft Launcher; except the shopping process. The launcher wasn't accepted by the community and is dead. I think European like me don't like these models very much.

Kai

• Upvote 2

After the disaster I've just gone through with FTXCentral2 I really doubt I'll ever try v3. If that means no more ORBX purchases so be it. Now seems to be the time to re-download everything from FSS. I simply don't trust another "migration" process. It's all going on my machine under my control. Once burned.........

Doug

• Upvote 3

Will our FSS installer still be usable after August?

Greetings
Tim

What about purchasing and downloading ORBX products from a computer other than your flight sim computer? Will that be supported?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pmb said:

No one will care, but I am old-school and share your thoughts. Adrian has provided a great service for many years indeed. 

Kind regards, Michael

Another old-schooler here, I've always had a great experience with FSS so I share your concerns.

I'm also a bit wary about having to rely on a Steam-type interface for downloading. My home broadband service is, on a good day, usually running at about 4Mbps. It's usually ok for downloading airports but for larger areas forget it. Luckily I'm an IT bod and have a superquick uplink at work so at the moment accessing larger files isn't a problem. Will we still be able to download the files required from another computer without having FTX Central installed on it?

Simon

• Upvote 2