Jump to content

Recommended Posts

been having fun with flight school, needed 3 hours solo before I could attempt my flight test. a good excuse to do some local flights, tonight i did a dusk,night flight in Scotland. Everything is default no add on scenery just Orbx Global which it uses for the land class i was impressed with the level of detail around the airports Glasgow looked quite nice, even had nicely detailed airport vehicles, I watched a van scooting round the apron while I was taxiing, and it was nicely detailed. I don't normally fly at night, but I enjoyed this flight , the lighting looks pretty good but the strength of this sim is in the cockpit, there using a PBR Physics Based Rendering engine which has the ability to make all the materials look as close to natural as you can get, the different lighting on the various cockpit parts is amazing, a beautiful gloss or a subtle shine where needed, and very high definition. track IR works perfectly you will need to update to the latest drivers and also update the titles, but it is smooth as.

Frames are excellent often reaching 50-60 with all settings maxed and very smooth. This is just a precursor to the full sim due out at the end of the year and with all the refinements and upgrades to Flight School I think were in for a treat. in the meantime i'm brushing up on my piloting skills and enjoying the new office I really do like the cockpit. I only have the beta so it will be interesting to see what they do to it before release next week. 

Enough talk hees some screen shots , hope this has helped.

Please clickon the images for thefull resolution I captured them at 3440x1440

cheers

Ken

bank2.jpgbank3.jpgsc1.jpgsc2.jpgsc3.jpgsc4.jpgsc5.jpgsc6.jpgsc7.jpgtextures1.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

Everything is default no add on scenery just Orbx Global which it uses for the land class

 

You mean textures I suppose ;)

Edited by Rimshot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

 

You mean textures I suppose ;)

Yes, just the global base, no vector or land class 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for your update Ken. With 1 day to go and 20Gb free before my broadband rollover I did the 10.3Gb Pre-load today which came down in 4:45Hrs. I look forward to giving it a try for myself next week. It looks good for the future of Flight Simming especially by the end of the year. 
 
Joe Lawford of Mutley's fame summed it you very well - "It's like FSX:SE but on steroids and with a new interface, a 1000 x performance boost and no OOMs"
Edited by antonvs
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bodes very well for the next iteration of the genre. If performance is this good on the desktop, let's hope VR users experience the same in the future.

 

I have pre-loaded and await the release next week impatiently.

Edited by Euan Emblin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Euan Emblin said:

This bodes very well for the next iteration of the genre. If performance is this good on the desktop, let's hope VR users experience the same in the future.

 

I have pre-loaded and await the release next week impatiently.

 

And reasonably empowered Laptops again for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DVS uses Orbx Global.

Will it take other Orbx add-ons, such as PNW, or any of the Orbx airports??

If the answer is no, then I am scratching my head as to why they would limit themselves just to Orbx Global??

TTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they want Flight School to be a stand alone, less expensive option to their full flight sim coming later this year. It's not a beta version of that. It has its own rationale. It's a flight training program, with no third party support. It may attract new people to flight simming as a result. Makes sense to me. Otherwise, what would be the difference/point between the two sims from the same company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They intend for this to be as an intro to flying, at the moment it is just up to private pilot licence but they have plans to go up to commercial and beyond, they will have download content as well. 

the flight simulator will be full on with 3rd party content, they expect you to move on to that once your training is done. The lessons are quite good, I'm getting rid of some bad habits that have krept into my flying. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

If the answer is no, then I am scratching my head as to why they would limit themselves just to Orbx Global??

 

It's a safe bet there will be a way to do it sooner or later, but presumably DTG will want to make sure they get a slice of the revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can hardly wait to usher in this new sim .... a clean slate with new potential and HD scenery.        "The sky will now be the limit".     :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried it now but cannot get the graphics right. Released 6pm UK time.

No doubt this topic will be removed soon as it is not about ORBX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't change it Mal. It depends on which graphic settings you choosed. With lower settings it changes on target 60 fps or who knows in something else depending on the system you have. I tested the simulator in my laptop and i was able to reach 45 fps even in very dense areas with almost all the sliders near the max, so performances are really very good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all I have a ch yoke and Saitek  panels  is there a pdf for flying school to set every thing up the yoke is working and the pedals are working just want to set for views ect

regards stewart 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

You can't change it Mal. It depends on which graphic settings you choosed. With lower settings it changes on target 60 fps or who knows in something else depending on the system you have. I tested the simulator in my laptop and i was able to reach 45 fps even in very dense areas with almost all the sliders near the max, so performances are really very good.

 

 

Thanks understood, mixed feelings about this really...will give it some time,

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visually I think it's a bit of a mixed bag.  Even given its price point and target audience (decidedly intro level) it feels like a "we need funding to get the full sim out the door."

 

My biggest complaints:
Light effects are all over the place. VASI lights in particular.

Over use of haze.

You can see both problems here: You should be seeing Boston harbour and it should be much more blue and birght. Not to mention the VASI on both runways is incredibly out of whack visually.

26621028424_3b4b4765fe_h.jpg20160524172151_1 by Rick Heaton, on Flickr

 

 

That said, there are points where the scenery is pretty amazing for basically being stock scenery that isn't customized. This is really what I-93 south of Boston looks like during midday. Again you can see the haze issue. Not to mention they seem to be very fond of gray and brown hues.
26622164423_b4e89463aa_h.jpg20160524172605_1 by Rick Heaton, on Flickr

 

 

Again, I don't think this is aimed at the sim community. I think it's aimed at either very entry level folks who might have a stick or maybe an interest, but aren't 'hard core' yet. I get the impression it sits where Microsoft originally wanted Flight to sit. As the stepping stone to bring back a full sim and to get people interested in the idea.

 

Edited by Rick Heaton
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Rick, the haze isn't very good and I find it off putting but yes, it is aimed at beginners.

 

Even though the FPS are good, I'm a bit concerned that with the actual flight simulator later this year that when you start adding addon's it's going to bring it to it's knees again like FSX and P3Dv3.2 (but no so much with P3Dv3.2). Time will tell and even though saying that, it is looking promising!

 

 

Edited by cabnz
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blue haze has been brought to there attention and they are working on it, what their trying to achieve is worth the pain, the autogen is also too dark for me but as this is the starting point and will be used to fine tune the essentials for their flight sim I'm very optimistic, steam products are able to be updated very easily with no fuss or input needed by the user.

for now I am enjoying the flight lessons, I can't believe how lazy I had become with the basics, I also noticed in the CFG file, which is in app data roaming ,not local, there are entries for ground shadows and cloud shadows, I did turn them on during testing and don't advise it, but ground shadows seem fine but cloud shadows are definitely broken at thus stage.

I see this as a tool for improving my flight skills, but mostly as a sneak peek at where their heading and if my 15 bucks helps them to achieve a more futuristic sim then it's worth it. For now P3D is my main focus but this will keep LM on their toes, competition will lift the bar, and that is exciting

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the haze is bothersome, and the graphics are a mixed bag (terrible AA), the flight modeling is actually a definite improvement over FSX.  For one, you actually have to fly coordinated in this sim, and the planes can be trimmed for hands off, but will hunt a bit both in altitude and roll attitude.  That's welcome.  I think for the stated purpose (a flight training sim), it does a good job.  The instructor is actually pretty good from the little bit I've done so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griphos,

I tried sending a PM to you but it said you can't get them. Odd. Anyway was asking what part of the Hill Country. I'm in the Mable Falls area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griphos said:

the graphics are a mixed bag (terrible AA)

 

 I created an Nvidia Inspector profile to help with the AA, you can find it here in the description: 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I played for about an hour and i agree with the comments made so far. As we knew from the outset it is not really designed for us Simmers, but is OK as an intro tool to flight simming. It reminds me of Microsoft Flight notwithstanding a greatly improved and enhanced version. How many Simmers went on to happily use Flight as a replacement Sim ????

For the money I reckon it was worth every penny. I do have positives about the product because i see us simmers as being able to see this as a base of the ongoing DT Flight Simulator development and can advise DT what improvements in various areas can be made or problems rectified for the full sim version. A good product for newbies to get into flight simming and a good tool for us full blown simmers to critique with the aim of helping in the development of the new Flight Simulator.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well for $16.00 Canadian with Global better than average Default AC nothing wrong at all with DTG FS amazing really going to make flight simming extremely accessible for main stream. With this, then next step FSX SE  then a few add-on's. It may just bring new armchair pilots into the community.  Great Job Nothing wrong with this entry level sim at all and with the flight school and unlocking levels with accomplishments fantastic>

 

Dreamer

  

Edited by Yardreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jordan King said:

 

 I created an Nvidia Inspector profile to help with the AA, you can find it here in the description: 

 

In view of this and even more comprehensive tweaking guides already around at Steam: I thought Dovetails promise was to deliver something *finally* making all tweaking unnecessary?

 

Kind regards, Michael

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I agree, so far so good. Good to see ORBX Global scenery and trees. I got it going today and have logged up 5/6 steps towards LAPT as well as 4:20hrs of free flight. I never really did any formal training in FSX so I'm already enjoying the Flight School process.

 

I commend DTG for what they have produced. I have only found a few simple things that time can easily fix. When you do the initial dual instruction I didn't realise that whilst the basic functions worked on my joystick, some buttons were not mapped, like flaps so I failed the landing lessons until I went for a free flight and worked out that the old FSX F7/F8 keyboard buttons work. I have yet to discovery how to map the joystick buttons.

 

Overall I like the UI and the experiance. As I opted to go for FSX:SE in preference to P3D I foresee a time, most likely well into next year when I will be enjoying DTG's full Flight Sim. The only down side I see at this point in time is the cost of replacing around $6000 worth of 3rd party addons. Such is the lure of a 64bit FSX replacement system.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, pmb said:

In view of this and even more comprehensive tweaking guides already around at Steam: I thought Dovetails promise was to deliver something *finally* making all tweaking unnecessary?

 

Kind regards, Michael

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about the $15 as a Kickstarter donation for the eventual DG Flight Simulator at the end of the year and it's money well spent. You get to do some flight training with a much improved flight model and for kicks you get to fly the world over using FTX Global. It's a case of bottle half full, not empty.

 

As for the cockpit shadows, they will be patched soon. The HDR hues/tones is a DTG internal creative decision and we've given DTG plenty of feedback about that so let's hope that they tweak it towards further realism.

 

You can see the effects of the PBR lighting in the cockpit material surfaces and it's a step in the right direction. The new sim-wide lighting system is why the autogen and ground is darker than usual (in FSX/P3D the autogen is self-lit, not in this sim though) so again this is just something that will be sorted out during the next seven months of the full sim development cycle. I'm pleased that the fundamentals are there already.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cabnz said:

I agree with Rick, the haze isn't very good and I find it off putting but yes, it is aimed at beginners.

 

Even though the FPS are good, I'm a bit concerned that with the actual flight simulator later this year that when you start adding addon's it's going to bring it to it's knees again like FSX and P3Dv3.2 (but no so much with P3Dv3.2). Time will tell and even though saying that, it is looking promising!

 

 

 

I can assure you it performs very well also with extra dense sceneries ;) Obvious that more things you add, you can have a slight drop in performances but it seems that with a high end pc you can manage well the simulator.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, antonvs said:

And I agree, so far so good. Good to see ORBX Global scenery and trees. I got it going today and have logged up 5/6 steps towards LAPT as well as 4:20hrs of free flight. I never really did any formal training in FSX so I'm already enjoying the Flight School process.

 

I commend DTG for what they have produced. I have only found a few simple things that time can easily fix. When you do the initial dual instruction I didn't realise that whilst the basic functions worked on my joystick, some buttons were not mapped, like flaps so I failed the landing lessons until I went for a free flight and worked out that the old FSX F7/F8 keyboard buttons work. I have yet to discovery how to map the joystick buttons.

 

Overall I like the UI and the experiance. As I opted to go for FSX:SE in preference to P3D I foresee a time, most likely well into next year when I will be enjoying DTG's full Flight Sim. The only down side I see at this point in time is the cost of replacing around $6000 worth of 3rd party addons. Such is the lure of a 64bit FSX replacement system.

 

 

 

For those who are using the Saitek X-52 the flaps are mapped with the left lateral button just on the stick (increase flaps) and the rear button of the stick (decrease flaps). Curiously i failed the lesson for the same reason, so i tried to figure out if the flaps were mapped because i didn't find them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

 

I can assure you it performs very well also with extra dense sceneries ;) Obvious that more things you add, you can have a slight drop in performances but it seems that with a high end pc you can manage well the simulator.

Thank you for the info Maurizio :)

Edited by cabnz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video posted above shows how to map controls, for those who haven't figured it out yet. DTG has never been very good at UI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...