Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm sure a lot of these topics pop up all the time but I just wanted to shout out to the team behind the Tapani experience...after installing it I've been pretty much hooked to it with all the strips to explore and the amazing detail, even between the strips. Thanks guys!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Each new Experience package is addictive. The problem comes when you sit down to the computer to fly--should it be this one, or this one, or this one...? Sometimes I spend more time deciding where to fly than I do flying. I always blame Tim Harris and company for that donkey-between-two-haybales paralysis.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about the Goilala and Moresby-Kokoda-Emo Mission sceneries is that they abut each other resulting in great choices of flight plans with environmental and weather challenges thrown in - hard to get away from :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TerribleT said:

The great thing about the Goilala and Moresby-Kokoda-Emo Mission sceneries is that they abut each other resulting in great choices of flight plans with environmental and weather challenges thrown in - hard to get away from :-)

Yes I found this too - start at one and can almost do a one way trip stopping off at all the strips along the way. Good variety. I certainly look forward to more of these! It would be fair to say I pretty much bought Global Base & Vector just to get the experience packages....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the great feedback, Our aim was to provide entertainment outside just the main strip area, short hops with plenty to do, and as much attention to detail as possible, hoping that when the VR headsets become more popular it will be a great addition to the immersion, I've been a bush pilot flying single seat ultralights and recreational aircraft for years, we had plenty of river runs and paddock landings in that time and it is the most fun flying you can do, for me anyway

PNG will continue to be our ongoing project with a plan to expand the area as long as you guys are enjoying it, with any luck PNG could become a region in it's own right.

cheers

Ken

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, afcraig2010 said:

Are there any charts available to aid in visually navigating between the strips? I don't want to have to use the GPS :)

Do you have Tapini installed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The package comes with a kmz file (as do all regions AFAIK), which you can use in Plan-g or Google Earth.

 

TapiniGEkmz.th.jpg Tapinikmz.th.jpg

 

You can use the Moresby VOR/DME to find the airstrips until you know the terrain well enough for pilotage.  The highland weather tends to be so fickle that it's a good idea to have IFR set up for the return trip anyway.

 

Plan-g, if you don't have it, is an excellent nav/mapping utility which is excellent for preparing any sort of VFR/IFR route.  And it's Free!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, afcraig2010 said:

Are there any charts available to aid in visually navigating between the strips? I don't want to have to use the GPS :)

 

Get it period.... even if your lost that is the whole point.

 

Ben

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Benny said:

Get it period.... even if your lost that is the whole point.

Enjoyed they video very much, thanks 

the bush packs are a test of your skills for sure, that's what makes them fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What aircraft are people using for Tapini?  I've been using the A2A cub which struggles a bit with takeoffs at some of the higher elevations, as well as the A2A C182.  I'd like to find a good taildragger that would make sense for those strips (i.e. no A2A Texan, for example,) and I'm having trouble finding good bush planes that are at least *close* to A2A quality that work in P3Dv3.

 

-stefan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best aircraft for operating off these strips are the ones used in real-life...so think DCH-6 Twin-otter (aerosoft), BN2 Islander (flight1), C206, C185 (carenado) etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of those options, it looks like the Stationair, Caravan, and the Twotter (I own the old version of this for FSX, I wonder if I ever bought it for P3D and forgot about it) are the only three that have native P3D versions, and I'm not purchasing anything new at this point that doesn't support P3D natively.  I generally dislike Carenado because while they're pretty, they tend to have very basic aerodynamic models, but that may not be the case for these and I'll have to check some reviews.  Thanks for the input, guys!

 

-stefan

 

Edited by shortspecialbus
Link to post
Share on other sites

The AS Twotter Extended is pretty good in P3D, but it's perhaps a bit big for some of the smaller strips, e.g. turning circle unless you have a dual throttle maybe. You can use pushbacks to do a 17-point turn ;)   The A2A C182 is also not bad in the role - while not a taildragger, it's pretty sturdy and does short field quite well, and has all that accusim realism. The FR Supercub Ultra is very capable and works fine in P3D, though it's not typical there IRL.  Many of us are waiting for the upcoming Pilatus Porter by Marcel Felde, over at AS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2016 at 8:07 AM, jabble said:

The package comes with a kmz file (as do all regions AFAIK), which you can use in Plan-g or Google Earth.

 

TapiniGEkmz.th.jpg Tapinikmz.th.jpg

 

You can use the Moresby VOR/DME to find the airstrips until you know the terrain well enough for pilotage.  The highland weather tends to be so fickle that it's a good idea to have IFR set up for the return trip anyway.

 

Plan-g, if you don't have it, is an excellent nav/mapping utility which is excellent for preparing any sort of VFR/IFR route.  And it's Free!

Hi jabble

can't find a KMZ file in the download,only an EXE file.does it extract it somewhere??.I've looked in orbx folder ,just can't see it.

I have pago pago and Tapini

 thanks

  steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevehowe said:

Hi jabble

can't find a KMZ file in the download,only an EXE file.does it extract it somewhere??.I've looked in orbx folder ,just can't see it.

I have pago pago and Tapini

 thanks

  steve

Ah, it's actually called "Goilala Bushpack.kml" in "...\Orbx\User Documents" (inside your flightsim directory), and will appear there when you've installed the package.  A kmz is just a zipped kml.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6 May 2016 at 10:39 AM, Ken Hall said:

Thanks for the great feedback, ..., with any luck PNG could become a region in it's own right.

cheers

Ken

 

Now your talking Ken.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-05-08 at 3:17 AM, jabble said:

The AS Twotter Extended is pretty good in P3D, but it's perhaps a bit big for some of the smaller strips, e.g. turning circle unless you have a dual throttle maybe.

 

The TO can land on a dime and almost take off as fast in real life (True STOL). Since it's also suited for float and ski... it as no real competition.

 

His reputation is simple: The tank of the air. It can take a lot of abuse and as the strongest landing struts. 

 

It's not pretty in my book but was not meant to be.

 

Some great reading...

http://www.vikingair.com/viking-aircraft/dhc-6-twin-otter

 

And Aerosoft did a great job!

 

Ben

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/05/2016 at 1:57 PM, Benny said:

The TO can land on a dime and almost take off as fast in real life (True STOL). Since it's also suited for float and ski... it as no real competition....

 

Thanks for the link! Indeed, the AS TO is one of my regulars - I tend to use it as a long-distance bush plane.  It's very STOL and rugged - no problem landing on beaches and riverbanks, as well as dirt strips.  However, some of the PNG airstrips are narrow and surrounded by trees, and after landing it's hard to turn around for takeoff.  I reckon a dual throttle would help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...