Sign in to follow this  
pilot100

holgermesh versus freemesh x

I read that Holgermesh is 76m and freemesh is 32m definition respectively,  am I likely to see much difference in the Australan landscape and how do I uninstall Holgermesh if I want to change to freemesh?

thanks

Brian 

I installed FreeMeshX after I already had Hogermesh installed.  I was more focused on the very evident improvements to South America and Africa and haven't been flying Australia enough to notice a change.  At double the resolution, I would bet that you will notice changes if you look for them.

Until your post, I had forgotten that I didn't need Holgermesh.

Holger explains how to un-install it here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/96587-au-holgermesh-uninstall/#comment-876106

Here is a quote of his answer:

--------------------------------------------

Hi there,

to uninstall AU Holgermesh simply remove its entry in your scenery library menu, shut down FSX, then delete FTXAA_HOLGERMESHin \ORBX\FTX_AU and also scenerylib_AU_HOLGERMESH.cfg in \ORBX\Scripts.

Having said that simply unchecking the entry in your scenery library menu will 100% deactivate the terrain mesh files, allowing you to do a quick cross-check whether the issue has anything to do with Holgermesh AU, which I doubt.

Cheers, Holger

---------------------------------------------

Hi Matt,

thanks for the reply, I have downloaded most of the areas that I want and will give it a shot. Hard to know what difference on some of he add ons.

Brian 

FreeMeshX says it is LOD 10 (38m) for North America, South & Central America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania & Australia.

It says it is LOD 9 (76m) for Antarctica, Greenland, and Russian territory north of 60 degrees.

Holgermesh is 76m mesh for Australia and PNG.

The sim should always choose the 38m FreeMeshX over the 76m Holgermesh.

The Holgermesh isn't hurting anything, it is just taking up a little bit of space (only 239MB for AU and 74.5MB PNG).

By comparison, FreeMeshX Australia & Oceania is 3.4GB 

having installed  Freemesh X I can say it is excellent especially  Africa and South America , in regards to Oz Honestly can't see a lot of difference fom holgrmesh, but Oz is relstively flat, so not too surprised. 

my opinion for what it is worth.......