Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This should have been a short hop from Montreal to NYC. But I had to give another name to this destination, for reasons that are obvious to this community, I suppose.

2016-2-11_20-24CYUL.jpg
2016-2-11_20-50Montreal.jpg
 

Climbing out satisfied with OpenLC_NA...

2016-2-11_20-51Montreal.jpg
2016-2-11_20-53-49-591.jpg
 

... before experiencing a slideshow with Windows warning sounds. The last view to La Guardia, with a blurry ground and incomplete autogen. Followed by the classical OOM crash.

2016-2-11_21-26NYC-OOM.jpg
 

I reduced the "texture max load" to 1024, and changed all AI traffic to zero. Drastical measures, but effective - I could successfully get into KJFK:

2016-2-12_21-56KJFK.jpg
2016-2-12_22-5-9-678.jpg
2016-2-12_22-12KJFK.jpg

 

Doubtless the combination of massive autogen, a PMDG bird and lots of traffic is too much for a 32 bit sim. Time is moving...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A very frustrating occurrence any time but more so when you are about to complete a long flight.

I always save the flight just before descent mostly because I am likely to stuff things up but also just in case of the dreaded OOM.

Beautiful shots all the same, the snow is beautiful as is the 777.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Nice cold shots there!

 

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

 

Thank you, Dolf & Iain!

 

 

7 hours ago, RJ said:

NYC is a no-fly zone for me. Great trip and great shots! :)

 

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

Anyway you knew what to do and managed to finish well with these lovely screenshots!

Voyager

 

I think the basic price to pay was the AI traffic put to zero. The 1024 resolution is not such a huge difference in impression.

 

 

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A very frustrating occurrence any time but more so when you are about to complete a long flight.

I always save the flight just before descent mostly because I am likely to stuff things up but also just in case of the dreaded OOM.

Beautiful shots all the same, the snow is beautiful as is the 777.

 

Well, I rarely save, because I hate stuffing files... but once the OOM phenomenon comes closer, it is wise to save (if you can, it depends on the aircraft if one uses more complex ones...). The PMDG T7 allows for doing so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Too bad about the OOM, but you still managed to take some awesome shots! :)

 

Well... before the OOM and after the abovementioned measures...B)

For NYC I know now which settings to avoid. But what happens next time in LAX... in SEA... in LHR?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

 

Well... before the OOM and after the abovementioned measures...B)

For NYC I know now which settings to avoid. But what happens next time in LAX... in SEA... in LHR?

 

Were you using any "add on" type airports in the area?

 

I only ask because (so far) I can fly all over the LAX region airports in SCA with my AI on full blast (Southwest, United, American, Delta, American Eagle, etc.) and AI vehicles clogging the many freeways without an OOM, but a short trip from Friday Harbor over to Victoria and back without restarting the sim and boom - OOM.

 

I didn't know OOM could happen in areas without enhanced airports?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Were you using any "add on" type airports in the area?

I only ask because (so far) I can fly all over the LAX region airports in SCA with my AI on full blast (Southwest, United, American, Delta, American Eagle, etc.) and AI vehicles clogging the many freeways without an OOM, but a short trip from Friday Harbor over to Victoria and back without restarting the sim and boom - OOM.

I didn't know OOM could happen in areas without enhanced airports?

 

Well, I have Drzewieczky Design New York City and KJFK from the same designer, plus WoAI at 40%. And I think at the first attempt I had also Teterboro, Linden and Caldwell add-ons active.

In LAX I would surely have FSDTs KLAX running. Let me see...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

 

Well, I have Drzewieczky Design New York City and KJFK from the same designer, plus WoAI at 40%. And I think at the first attempt I had also Teterboro, Linden and Caldwell add-ons active.

In LAX I would surely have FSDTs KLAX running. Let me see...

 

Hmmm....that NYC scenery while non-Orbx looks like a lot of fun, and with an enhanced JFK I could see the OOM happening.

 

I could be very wrong, but it seems like the "region" airport upgrades don't impact OOM or FPS nearly as badly as the jaw-dropping realism of Orbx, FSDT, etc. - they must consume less VAS?

 

I sure hope AI traffic doesn't hurt VAS too much as I LOVE AI traffic.   I started with the WOAI stuff, but needed Air Canada Rouge flights into my Vancouver and no packages were available.   This started a slippery slope of creating my own AI packages by adding models and flight plans together.   I think it can be a hobby within a hobby, and I'm going to be happy as a clam the first time I land at a Southwest Airlines airport and see one of their new scheme 737s taxi past.

 

And the Orbx GA AI is great - I love seeing the classic paint scheme Cessnas fly in and park.

 

In any case, great photos and glad you made your trip ok!

 

Steve

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Wonderful Triple 7 captures! Did you note any poor visuals with the 1024 setting?

Greetings,

Bermuda

Absolutely not. But the benchmark was OOM, so I was a bit biased... my standard is 2048, BTW.

 

 

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Hi Gerold , have you flown over the North Pole yet ? . I hear it's OOM free , lots of cold and snow however . :ph34r::o:lol:

Cheers

John

John, you have a crystal ball: I just did so! Started a T7F in Fairbanks at sunrise and flew to Iceland. 2 hours after sunrise I went into night again (confuse...), and over Greenland I lost ATC. But the autogen did not cause trouble, as the AI traffic.

A bit boring region to fly, especially in the night. OpenLC did not help... >:D

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great set Gerold despite the setback.

A very frustrating occurrence any time but more so when you are about to complete a long flight.

I always save the flight just before descent mostly because I am likely to stuff things up but also just in case of the dreaded OOM.

Beautiful shots all the same, the snow is beautiful as is the 777.

 

Martyn, one of the benefits of the played ver of FSUIPC is it can be set to auto save the last X number of saves spaced over X number of minutes.

Cheers Anton. (via Tapatalk)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...