Aussieflyer38

Flight Yoke recommendations please.

Hi Guys,

I'm fed up with the stuttery operation of my Saitek yoke. It jerks and sticks particularly when trying to flare. I've tried to lube the shaft with silicone lube - doesn't work, so as I can't get it to work to my satisfaction, I'm shopping for a new yoke or stick controller.

I'd really love it if somebody could recommend a good one that doesn't jerk and allows me to fly/flare as I should be able to. Thanks

Don 

I have a C-H yoke.  I used to use silicone spray because that's what they recomended. I had the same sticky jerky problems as you. Then several years ago I started using petroleum jelly.  It completely eliminated the sticking.  Just remove all the silicone before you apply it.  Also every few months wipe it off and apply new coat. This will remove any dirt that the petroleum jelly attracts. Hope this works for you.

PFC , with hall sensors, is pricey , I found it hard too swallow cost , but figured this is the one control my hands spend most time on. I bought the desktop cirrus version , as I thought it the best one that replicated the 737 for desktop. I too had a saitek for years, & tried too improve the stickiness to no avail , I own a cnc router as well so tried all sorts of fixes to the saitek but nothing real worked. Sorry to say but saitek is great value for money , but personally this is one of those things where you get what you pay for comes too mind. I've opened up my pfc yoke for a look, & there isn't much in there but the product is made with solid parts.

Good luck

Cheers

Riche

I had similar issues with "stickiness" with my Saitek Cessna Yoke. I replaced it with a CH Flight Sim Yoke, and I've been very happy with the switch. I've found the CH yoke to be much smoother than the Saitek yoke, and flying with it is much easier and more enjoyable. I also found the Saitek yoke's center detent very annoying, and the CH yoke lacks this center detent, making it even smoother. The CH yoke can be a little heavy toward the extremities of its range of movement (such as during the flare), but, as I understand it, this is pretty realistic. I should point out that I have not had as much time using the CH yoke as I would like, since my desk (or, rather, table) is not very conducive to a flight yoke. (I'm still trying to get around to building a new desk.) When I have used it, however, I've been very happy with it. I personally think the CH Flight Sim Yoke is probably the best option for a budget yoke. If you're willing to spend a lot more money, though, I'm sure you can get something better.

• Upvote 1

I modified my Saitek Cessna Yoke so it no longer sticks and has no detectable centre point just like a real one.

Seemed like a better option than junking it completely. Modifying it will invalidate the warranty but mine was over a year old when I did it anyway. 

Lube will only get you so far because the design of the Saitek yokes is flawed to begin with. Sometimes you just have to get right in there and give it a good seeing to.... 

Edited by Hobnobs
Damn you Apple autocorrect

I too use the CH Flight Sim Yoke Don and would thoroughly recommend it. I don't have any problems (yet:ph34r:) with it sticking, maybe I'm lucky or just such a bad flyer that I don't notice:lol:.

I did the Saitek spring mod and, while it is better than stock, still has flaws. This year I made the leap and went with the PFC Saab yoke and it is 100 times better than anything I have used. It isn't cheap but, being the most used piece of hardware I have, it is very smooth and just feels right. Landings are so much more enjoyable.

I just use a stick.  My Saitek yoke is in the closet.  I never had a problem with it but I'm too lazy to set it up every time I want to fly.

I have a Saitek X52 that I can leave hooked up permanently and just push to the back of the desk when not in use.

Another advantage of the Saitek stick over the yoke is that it has many more buttons and knobs to program my controls to.  The stick has 3 push buttons,2 hat switches, 3 two-position lever switches, and the trigger and little finger actuators.  The throttle has 5 push buttons, 2 rotary potentiometers (I use for mixture and prop), and a hat switch.  That's 18 controls in addition to the stick and throttle themselves.  The Saitek yoke only has 10 controls.

I'm partial to sticks anyway since the aircraft I first learned to fly had one (Luscombe 8E).

Noel

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ba543 said:

PFC , with hall sensors, is pricey , I found it hard too swallow cost , but figured this is the one control my hands spend most time on. I bought the desktop cirrus version , as I thought it the best one that replicated the 737 for desktop. 

+ 1

I also have a PFC desktop yoke which I use for GA flying, they are sold bits of kit, and without doubt something that enhances my flying immersion.

I am using the CH Eclipse yoke without any problem. No sticky problem and no center detent. As I am flying without Track IR (I use EZDOK), I really like the many buttons and the 2 hats the Eclipse has and also the throttle, mixture and propeller levers. Great value for the price. It comes with 2 years warranty.

• Upvote 1

I use the PFC Cirrus yoke with the SAAB handle(gives you more buttons) and Hall sensors. It is exceptionally smooth and precise. It is worth the money if your budget can stand it.

Greg

I also have a PFC SAAB desk yoke. Have had it for five or six years now. Still smooth as silk, would never go back to a Saitek, had three of them & all were sticky & two of them squeaked in roll mode.Had a couple of CH prior to that. Have not tried the Eclipse so it might be better.

PFC is expensive, especially for us buying from Oz but will last you a life time. Very solid. Makes a huge difference when flaring.

Thanks guys for all your input, helps a lot.

I fly both  GA and a A318, also I'm try to learn to fly the PMDG 737NGX, so, am I best to change to, say a Saitek X55 Rhino and being Saitek is it any good, or as a few of you have recommended the CH yoke. I haven't used a stick so will it work okay on GA, I assume it would. Which would I be better with?

The PFC SAAB really looks the goods, beautiful piece of equipment, but is way out of my budget.

So to wrap it up, your opinions on which way you feel I should jump. Thanks

Don

I have been using the CH yoke and pedals for the best part of 16 years and highly recommend them. 2 years ago because of bad legs and poor circulation in my feet I upgraded to the CH Eclipse yoke. It has rudder pedals on the yoke that can be used with the thumbs and is very easy to use. This meant that I was able to dispose of the CH rudder pedals (as in selling them) and there has been little difference. There are also more buttons you can programme for things like setting the parking brake. You can also programme for your elevator trim and rudder trim which leaves some switches free for things like aileron trim. I also have the CH throttle quadrant which I have programmed for battery switch, avionics switch and start for 4 engines.

• Upvote 2

Ross,

Have you any idea where I might purchase one of those PFC SAAB Yokes? I'm guessing not in Australia.

Thanks

Paul

I'm in Australia , & it was sent from US Too hawker pacific at Bankstown airport Sydney where I was able to pick it up 3-4 days after ordering it . Great service.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Condor said:

Ross,

Have you any idea where I might purchase one of those PFC SAAB Yokes? I'm guessing not in Australia.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I purchased it direct from PFC themselves. Back then I wasn't aware of anybody distributing in Australia.

Freight at the time was very expensive also however at the time my daughter traveled to Canada to attend a friend's wedding so I had the unit shipped there & she brought it home as luggage.