vbazillio

My "2015 in the air" in 6min5s video

I'm very fortunate to be able to fly. I keep the my finger crossed, hope it last as much as possible. This year, like the previous 10, was packed with plenty of nice flights. The video above summarizes in 6 short minutes and 30 long seconds, most of landings and landscapes encountered last year. Enjoy the video and happy new year !

You'll see at the end of the video that Last December was also my "Orbx Tour" : going in real life on two sceneries I practised so much at home, facing my PC display :

24122206585_84d0dba6ac_b_d.jpg

24014103152_771c5d24d2_b_d.jpg

24039602241_90ef9c59e3_b_d.jpg

23754423629_846fcb47f6_b_d.jpg

Like in this thread, I will describe, comparing flight simulator with Orbx and the real world, the GA flights that bring me for real in a sim world.

• Upvote 3

Superb video, lucky you :) !  I wish you, for 2016, as you say you hope, that  "it last as much as possible" ! So we can get so more nice videos.

Have you ever landed in 29Palms KTNP ?

• Upvote 1

you've had a busy year. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kind regards

Ian

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

2 hours ago, dominique said:

Have you ever landed in 29Palms KTNP ?

Nop. Never. With Yucca Valley (L22) it was the planned destination after Palm Springs last month. But the weather wasn't really compatible (very strong gusting wind) to challenge my cockpitmate (we shared trip legs). Next time ! This two fields in this area are on my list. 

Do you recommend something specific on KTNP ? An FBO ? Transcient parking ? Restaurant ? 

No Vincent but there is an excellent addon airport from the eponym developper I've made my home base with in OrbX SoCal. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dominique said:

No Vincent but there is an excellent addon airport from the eponym developper I've made my home base with in OrbX SoCal. 

Oups sorry. Will follow you advice, 15€ worth a good scenery in SOCAL ;-)

On 2 janvier 2016 at 4:27 PM, dominique said:

Because of you, I just acquire the scenery :-) And also because, during a not-yet-planned flight in SOCAL, I may practise a real field I have practised before in the Sim. By the way,  the scenery is awesome. Thanks to point it me out !

I saw your video twice back to back.  I am in awe of it.  Amazing footage and perfect soundtrack.

Thank you for sharing 

Do you planes both here in US and Europe?

9 hours ago, vbazillio said:

Because of you, I just acquire the scenery :-) And also because, during a not-yet-planned flight in SOCAL, I may practise a real field I have practised before in the Sim. By the way,  the scenery is awesome. Thanks to point it me out !

It is a nice addon indeed, very moody, not Orbx but very much in the OrbX tradition  of countryside smallish airports  ! Can't wait to see your landing there. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Airwolf said:

I saw your video twice back to back.  I am in awe of it.  Amazing footage and perfect soundtrack.

Thank you for sharing 

Do you planes both here in US and Europe?

I am lucky to be part of serveral airclubs. Several in France (to have choice and availability in rental) and one San Diego (PlusOne Flyer).

Thanks again to you all for you comments ! I just added Youtube english subtitles for part of the video where ATC/passenger talk in french.

1 hour ago, Gavin Stewart said:

Brilliant video. How is it that you manage to fly in so many different places ?

Thank you ! First of all, I'm just PPL (VFR and some minor ratings like complex, high perf, tailwheel, night VFR... but not at all IFR).

As previously stated, I am member of several airclubs. My budget is split on vital things... and aviation passion.

But most of all, since I learned flying I discover and met a lot of pilot's enthousiasm ! Meet passionate people creates a lot of opportunities to fly. It's the same in the sim. world. Break the virtual wall of forums and web sites and online flying and go ! Engage with real people around you ! Once a friend mentionned he will be in SOCAL early 2015. Several discussion and chat after, we were 6 pilots flying around Vegas, San Diego, Big Bear, Tucson... ;-) Later last year, another friends mentionned he loved to share flights in SOCAL. It matches a professional travel that I put close to 1 week of hollydays to practise for the first time Monterey, Half Moon Bay and Palm Springs (an small Orbx Tour in real world).

Some of passengers of real flights were only nicknames and virtual friends met on IVAO or simming forums. They became real people and I was delighted to share real flights with them. You can see one of these on the backseat of the Cessna 182 at the begining of the video retro 2015.

I'm based in France and surprisingly I'm not traveling this much in France. It's more two days weekend with my awesome wife. Going somewhere to discover and have some rest and taking the plane as a transportation mean.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, vbazillio said:

Thank you ! First of all, I'm just PPL (VFR and some minor ratings like complex, high perf, tailwheel, night VFR... but not at all IFR).

As previously stated, I am member of several airclubs. My budget is split on vital things... and aviation passion.

But most of all, since I learned flying I discover and met a lot of pilot's enthousiasm ! Meet passionate people creates a lot of opportunities to fly. It's the same in the sim. world. Break the virtual wall of forums and web sites and online flying and go ! Engage with real people around you ! Once a friend mentionned he will be in SOCAL early 2015. Several discussion and chat after, we were 6 pilots flying around Vegas, San Diego, Big Bear, Tucson... ;-) Later last year, another friends mentionned he loved to share flights in SOCAL. It matches a professional travel that I put close to 1 week of hollydays to practise for the first time Monterey, Half Moon Bay and Palm Springs (an small Orbx Tour in real world).

Some of passengers of real flights were only nicknames and virtual friends met on IVAO or simming forums. They became real people and I was delighted to share real flights with them. You can see one of these on the backseat of the Cessna 182 at the begining of the video retro 2015.

I'm based in France and surprisingly I'm not traveling this much in France. It's more two days weekend with my awesome wife. Going somewhere to discover and have some rest and taking the plane as a transportation mean.

You seem to have it all worked out, Vincent:) Thanks for the advice. You have seen some truly amazing places. It's funny how one can do so much with only a PPL. A friend of mine here in South Africa has a PPL but at least once a year he goes over to the USA to test-fly spacecraft for X-Prize..

If you ever come here on business, let me know, I have a plane I can use whenever I want. 

Having a job that makes you travel obviously helps you to get around. I would do the same if traveling was part of my job.

Happy landings

Edited by Gavin Stewart
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Gavin for the invitation ! I never went to South Africa... yet ;-) Lucky you are !

18 minutes ago, Gavin Stewart said:

You have seen some truly amazing places. It's funny how one can do so much with only a PPL.

Have you seen my other trips ? in 2011 : Bahamas and Florida ? Have you seen that with a PPL VFR you can land in Atlanta Hartsfield (KATL) without PPR, no flight plan, VFR ?

5691243258_3538b060ca_b_d.jpg

Have you seen this awesome overfly of New York Central Park at 1500 ft, VFR, in a Canadia registred Cessna, no flight plan, no prior pilot request ?

Did I mention St-Barth ? And Juliana in Piper PA28 ?

Unfortunetely no Orbx scenery yet for these locations ;-)

Edited by vbazillio

Superbe! Et Bravo

What stuck me is the clarity of the french """ controleur aérien""" (air controller)  compare to some US one.

As you seem to be pretty bilingual did you have some difficulty with some of those.

I was flying in Northern Florida some years ago and I had some controller repeat a few time.

Bon vol

Ben

• Upvote 1

Than you Ben.

Frankly speaking I would love to be bilingual. It's not the case. I need an adaptation period of time at every of mine US trips. Years ago, it last 1 or 2 days to become agile. Now, it's a matter of hours. Before every US trip, I play a lot of Youtube videos (nor only mine) because Live ATC is fine but when you're on one channel, you're listeing only of type of messages and it doesn't reflect the overall of an GA flight.

In this "My year 2015 in video", I put only short and clear french ATC chatters. I'm sure that if I paste the ATC chatter when arriving at Lyon Bron (you have just a brief extract in this video) you may change of mind. 

The problem when not mastering 100% the foreign ATC langage is not when ATC stay wihtin the book (clear to, report, blabla...). The problem arise when ATC get away from the book.

It this next video shot in 2008, you have my worst day in US. Arriving in Las Vegas Bravo airspace. For those wandering, I came here (KLAS, Atlantic FBO) several before this video and several time after this video... without a glintch. A bad day ;-)

For the joke : my best options are "Say again" (but the previous video shows the limitation) and "Unfamiliar" ;-)

Edited by vbazillio

Hello Vincent,

as usual, very very nice video!

I love it since I know some parts of the places you've visited in U.S.

BTW, It seems there is a problem to link your blog!?!

Have a good and happy 2016 year!

Bug.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bugdani said:

Thank you very much Bug. Best wishes as well for 2016. Thanks for the warning about my signature. It should be ok, now.

Thanks for sharing, not only the vistas, but the fun you had, that's the best part of your videos. Those of us who understand French can hear it in your conversations and that beats any  soundtrack IMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dominique said:

Thanks for sharing, not only the vistas, but the fun you had, that's the best part of your videos. Those of us who understand French can hear it in your conversations and that beats any  soundtrack IMHO.

I have had the english subtitle in this video.

Dominique, you may like this other one, with my friend Frank in St-Barth :