Majestic DHC-8 Q400 Pro DIY Waypoints KLGA EXPY RWY31 Approach

New York in Vector and Global glory. Can't wait for OpenLC NA Pt. 2.

This is for all the Dash lovers out there who've been digging around in all the new features in the Pro version.

I built a mocked-up company RNP/GPS approach using the Pro Q400's new FMS functionality, Google Earth and a few other hacks. 

Not really realistic. Certainly not legal to fly. Fun, though, to explore the possibilities and figure it all out.

Best,

Marshall

Edited by HamSammich

Very good Marshall! 

However, nothing to do with your good job, but I could not help but notice that the airport polygon (RWY 31 of KLGA) moved over the waters. This is a Vector issue.

565835dc25aee_KLGA-RWY031advancesonwater

Thanks,

Voyager

Edited by Voyager

Great videos, I appreciate the time taken to make all of these.  As a former Dash 8-100 pilot, I learn something every time, usually about the FMS.  I think here, your VNAV didn't work out for the approach because you reached your selected altitude, 2500, so VNAV was finished.  I bet if you had rolled it down lower it would have worked.  Maybe even dial in a descent rate to your final waypoint.  Just a thought.

Back in the '80s, I would order (by mail) aeronautical charts and approach plates for various airports, just for fun, long before I had my license, and remember constructing my own approaches to LGA for MSFS on our IBM.  Flying an approach on that thing in overcast down to mins, using the keyboard for all controls, was a thrill for a 10 year old wannabe pilot.

That's quite possible. Gonna keep an eye out for that. Not sure whether it ends VNAV guidance or merely continues, but flashes an msg that the alerter is above current altitude. I suspect some of it has to do with it not being designated as an approach in the database. I think "official" approaches do what you suggest. They generate a glidepath (whether it's good or not is another story) from the final fix to TDZE.

Separately, I'm told the earlier Dashes were more enjoyable to just toss around the sky. More Otter-like, I suppose you'd call it. Was this your experience?

Best,

Marshall

Edited by HamSammich

The -100 was a little twitchy, and definitely a fly-by-the-numbers plane, as opposed to the Twin Otter, which is like a 172 on steroids but with a couple of its own funny things.  Having said that, the 100 was very nice to fly by hand once you got a feel for it, but you still couldn't look away too long or a slight attitude change would quickly become a large airspeed or altitude change.  Autopilot Inop was not appreciated on the longer flights.  Sometimes in good weather we were able to go VFR, and flew from Anchorage to Valdez at 1500' the whole way, hand flying through Portage Pass and such.  I loved the Dash and miss it, especially the way we flew it.  Majestic depicts the handling pretty well, even though it's a -400 which I haven't flown.  It's great to see your enthusiasm for it, it's a pretty awesome model.

Cheers...

I do enjoy it. Of all the sim aircraft out there, the Dash is one of just a few that even remotely feels like anything real. IRL, I’m learning to fly in a Cherokee and a Bellanca Decathlon, and even though those clearly don’t fly like airliners of any sort, many of the sensations I encounter in the Dash correspond surprisingly well to those in a real plane.

Searching, probably in vain, for a control-loading, FF yoke, from a company that isn’t some flaky one-person operation. Properly recreating control and trim forces would help a lot.

Of course my buddy, who flies real 777s (and the Decathlon) does not understand my fascination with the Dash.

OTOH, he’s flown it, and the PMDG 777, and was blown away by the fidelity of both. They modeled their version of his airline’s 777 after one of the tail-numbers he actually flies. Creeped him out a bit. Said it reminded him too much of work.

Desktop simulation has come a long way.

Best,

Marshall

Nicely done, Marshall enjoyed it very much, have flown  into castlegar a few times my self in my own  plane ,I fly the q400 in the sim and picked up a lot of good info from you

thanks

Terry