Is SDK necessary for FSX?

I do not have SDK listed on my PC. I do not  know where this message came from.

I am trying to recover from a blue screen episode, many things changed.

By the way great video.

spinker

I  appreciate all the responses and videos that have been sent. But I still don't have my answer.

Do  need "simconnect" for FSX. I do not see SDK listed in my FSX directory and never have seen anything related to simconect on my computer.

spinker

Hi Spinker,

It is probably a good idea to have it installed but you don't exactly "need" to install simconnect unless you are using more than one computer to run addons outside of your main sim to help take some load off of the main sim computer or if an addon specifically asks for it to be able to run. for example, I run ASN, Air Hauler,panel builder, Plan g and what ever else I can on my 2nd computer, Simconnect connects some stuff and WideFS (FSUIPC) connects other things, (you have to pay for WideFS)

You can find your SDK on your FSX install disks if you have the "Gold" edition.

Plenty of info on how to install the SDK and how to properly install simconnect with a quick Google if need be as well.

I believe that FSX Steam edition also comes with the SDK as well.

Hope this helps :)

Greg Z

It is also required if you run a program outside FSX at the same time on the same computer that needs to "connect" to FSX to see what FSX is doing.

I have the following programs that need simconnect to work :

REX - for weather injection.

UT2 - for AI injection

PlanG - for mapping

ADE - for airport design / modification

FScloud - for multiplayer

and there are probably others that don't announce that they are "simconnecting".

Simply put: a regular user only needs SimConnect if you have addons that need it. SimConnect connects the sim with the addon. And as a regular user you never need an SDK.

Afaik FSX should install SimConnect automatically but if something went wrong with it, install it manually anyway. This may prevent things not working in the future. It won't hurt anything to have it installed even when it is not needed.

I myself need SimConnect for TrackIR and my A2A planes. I think nowadays you only will need SimConnect SP2 but again, installing the older versions also won't hurt.

For setting up SimConnect, Frooglesim on YouTube has a great and easy to follow video on how to do it properly. The video goes for 30 mins approximately, so is nice and detailed with a step by step talk through.. It also answers all the questions about Sdk, and where too find everything you need. It's a good one stop shop trying video and I don't think there is anything out there that is better.

Best of luck

Spacey

For setting up SimConnect, Frooglesim on YouTube has a great and easy to follow video on how to do it properly. The video goes for 30 mins approximately, so is nice and detailed with a step by step talk through.. It also answers all the questions about Sdk, and where too find everything you need. It's a good one stop shop trying video and I don't think there is anything out there that is better.

Best of luck

Spacey

You only have to doubliclick on the SimConnect SP2 .msi and after 5 seconds it has been installed. I don't think the OP needs a video that takes half an hour for that...? ::)