Elaine Dixon

The ONLY P3D V3 Announced 09/30 topic

Why don't we wait until reports come in from users at large before we start trashing the product? What I am kinda interested in is SpeedTree support in version 3. Would that be an opportunity for Orbx to give us absolute real life vegetation? Any comments from the good folks at Orbx would be appreciated.

Fixed bug where GPU terrain would shift at high altitudes

Also kinda important :)

Makes me wonder whether Orbx will simply skip straight to V3 for the remaining high-altitude airports (KBZN, etc) not yet ported to V2.

And, what about all the high-altitude airports already available for V2 with their own custom terrian/tessellation shift fixes--will they need rework for V3? Am just wondering from a technical perspective.

I intend to purchase V3 on the day it is released--I look forward to trying out the VAS memory management improvements and see whether they are effective in preventing/reducing my OOM issues. Along with all the other fixes/improvements, including Avatar mode.

It's running at a locked ~30FPS, but the poster Rob is always preaching how to achieve these results and happy to help over on Avsim.  Granted, he has about the best machine possible, but claims it's ultimately due to running his monitor at a 30hz refresh rate.  My monitor doesn't support it so no idea if that actually matters, but tons of reading about it from him over there.

EDIT: Tried to quote "Outrage" but apparently I haven't figured out these boards yet ha... Outrage, hope you see this.

Yup! Will check him out!

So,absolutely nothing to get excited about whatsoever then.Still the same patched up crappy software and they want more money to boot you gotta laugh really.

Oh well there is the "improved memory handling",well the that's well worth the money,,,,,,,,,not.

Ah well keep looking and waiting for something better to,maybe come along,I for one shall be sticking with 2.4 and see no reason to move from that.

Until some quantum leap comes about it is simply not worth the hassle of breaking all the compatible stuff I have installed at the moment and the thought of the reinstall from 2.4 to 3.00 just not worth the sweat.Progress ? not

Yes, I would have to agree,  will also be sticking with 2.4, it has been working fine for me so why bring on the mental anguish of updating to 3.0. But I will keep an open mind and follow these threads to see if there is a hidden benefit to upgrading?

Cheers

Martin

i am really excited about v3 but if it's still 32 bit, we are gonna have the same old vas issue problems, thats upsetting.

You really need to read the release at LM before posting uninformed statements like this. You may be pleasantly surprised

Moe

• Upvote 2

Question for Orbx: v3 supports speedtree, some special kind of new trees. Afaik the default trees in v3 will be those kind of trees. And afaik all Orbx scenery add ons use their own trees.

- Will installing Orbx scenery overwrite those new trees? Or is it possible to keep on using the new default trees with Orbx scenery?

- Will the Orbx trees (specially the HD trees) be updated or replaced with this new technology?

I love flying low over extremely dense forests and am very happy with HD trees but if the new trees look better or more real (without too much of an impact on performance) it would be nice to have those in my FTX regions!

There is no new Speedtree autogen in V3, the release adds support for the Speedtree SDK to allow developers to introduce new trees and grasses into scenery. It's far too early days at this stage for us to comment on how this will be implemented until we spend more time with the SDK.

If you're expecting trees and grasses swaying in the breeze worldwide, that isn't going to be the case.

LM has finally implemented Speedtree at my recommendation to them about two and a half years ago, it's something we've been wanting in a sim platform for a long time so we're pleased the support for is there now.

As to how we tackle any eventual upgrade to all our products to add Speedtree, that is a whole other story. You will likely see it introduced in newer projects, much like we introduced NatureFlow moving trees and grass from 1WA6 Fall City onwards, and then only selectively.

Finally, expect a FPS hit with Speedtree - you don't get millions of animated polygons in your FOV for free, that's dreaming :)

• Upvote 4

Hmmm... I seeing this in the V3 release notes:

New Content:

• 18 new scenery library models of 3D trees (powered by SpeedTree)

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v30.html

gb.

That has probably to be seen in this context:

SpeedTree models can be placed using SimDirector

So it seems that they are not replacing default trees but come with their own GUIDs.

There is no new Speedtree autogen in V3, the release adds support for the Speedtree SDK to allow developers to introduce new trees and grasses into scenery. It's far too early days at this stage for us to comment on how this will be implemented until we spend more time with the SDK.

If you're expecting trees and grasses swaying in the breeze worldwide, that isn't going to be the case.

LM has finally implemented Speedtree at my recommendation to them about two and a half years ago, it's something we've been wanting in a sim platform for a long time so we're pleased the support for is there now.

As to how we tackle any eventual upgrade to all our products to add Speedtree, that is a whole other story. You will likely see it introduced in newer projects, much like we introduced NatureFlow moving trees and grass from 1WA6 Fall City onwards, and then only selectively.

Finally, expect a FPS hit with Speedtree - you don't get millions of animated polygons in your FOV for free, that's dreaming :)

Thanks for the detailed answer!  :)

The only way I could justify P3D 3.0 is if:

VAS problems are eradicated.

Critical Add-ons(Orbx FTX, A2A, REX, ASN, RealAIr, PMDG, etc.) will install with minimal updates at no extra charge.

Otherwise, forget it.

C.

100% Agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will purchase when released.. hope that overall performance will be better and OOMs mostly gone... If not... there is refund policy, so who cares :)

thanks jv for ringing in, i would like to know your personal opinion on p3d v3 and your thoughts. i am sure some of the community would like to know as well.thank you in advance.

thank you JV i will anxiously be waiting for the release, i am really hoping i can have all my addons installed and run without vas problems, i think that was one of the major goals.your team makes such wonderful products and now i hope i can venture into purchasing more and be able to enjoy your orbx  products the way they were meant to be played.looks like i will be buying the majority at christmas sale time, thank you again, i am very happy to be part of the forums here where the ceo answers questions.

again thank you my friend. ::)

well I am interested. I may wish it was an update but you know what they say about wishing.

and ability to adjust the HDR an also the speedtree stuff (which I know nothing about but sounds interesting) and throw in the claimed great memore usage improvements...and Ill be getting it. not tomorrow for sure though.

Think positive folks, at least you are getting progress with P3d. If the OOM`s have been made less of a problem then I would suggest that's a major plus. If Mr Venema thinks its a good step forward then I`m confident that it is.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

The HDR adjustments are very fun to play with, some very realistic color schemes can be created with it. It pretty much makes ENB obsolete. 

• Upvote 5

The HDR adjustments are very fun to play with, some very realistic color schemes can be created with it. It pretty much makes ENB obsolete. 

I had the same thought about the new HDR settings making ENB obselete.  After reading through the feature list, it appears there are other things that make 3rd party programs obsolete.  the more I hear, the more I like it and the more I will wind up upgrading.

-Jim

Well that's it,   im looking forward to this too.   Loads of new bits and bobs 

Most of the improvements you see are directly based on feature requests Orbx fed back to LM over the years and it's encouraging to see the custodians of this branch of the sim code listening to what developers want, something long overdue.

Can you guys ask them for more realistic helicopters? :)

So I found this recent statement by PMDG...

"Our testing internally leads us to conclude that Lockheed Martin's development team has succesfully updated Prepar3D so that it will unload data that is no longer needed in memory. More specifically, our testing seems to conclude that data accumulation in VAS related to scenery being seen or over-flown is no longer a factor for simmers using Prepar3D. [...] running those same tests with Prepar3D v3 yielded far lower VAS volumes than we have ever seen, even when moving between very intense scenery areas."

If this holds true then V3 will be  MUST BUY.

I'm really enjoying it, plus its being actively worked on by a team that actually listens to what we (users/devs/simmers) say and ask for, you just cant ask for much more than that.

• Upvote 3

John , 

What other airports have speedtree in them?

Thanks

John , 

What other airports have speedtree in them?

Thanks

No existing airports have Speedtree, the support for the tech has just been introduced with P3D-V3, thats all

No existing airports have Speedtree, the support for the tech has just been introduced with P3D-V3, thats all

actually sir Fall city does have tree movement. that's why I was wondering if their were others.  Maybe it's called something else on the Orbx side :).  

I am still installing my copious number of FTX addons into my recent purchase of v2.5 !! then v3 arrives before I've even finished.

If I upgrade to P3D v3 will my FTX v2.5 products install OK ?

I am still installing my copious number of FTX addons into my recent purchase of v2.5 !! then v3 arrives before I've even finished.

If I upgrade to P3D v3 will my FTX v2.5 products install OK ?

V3 is a new installation and isn't an upgrade over v2.5...you can have both v3 and v2.5 separately installed.

As for the FTX question: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103534-prepar3d-v3-free-multi-installers-coming-for-orbx-regions-vector-olc/

actually sir Fall city does have tree movement. that's why I was wondering if their were others.  Maybe it's called something else on the Orbx side :).  

Actually no, those are just plain old animated 3d trees

Speedtree is a 'tool' for creating 3d trees http://www.speedtree.com/, this method of making trees is now supported in P3D-V3 onwards

I can understand that v2 customers are complaining about a "paid bugfix". However, as a potential new customer that does not apply to me.

I will wait a couple of months. If it turns out that LM really has fixed the VAS issue and my favorite addons will work then I will definitely buy it.

OOMs are my number one grieve in FSX. I can live with low frame rates and occasional stutters but there is nothing more frustrating than an OOM after hours of flying.

Also I appreciate that LM is actively developing the product. I think it is the right thing to reward this. If the Prepar3d division does not make money then it will be shut down just like the Aces team. That would be very bad for flight simulation as a whole.

I hope I will be proven wrong but as a long time Rail"sim" player I don't see how Dovetail can deliver a Flight Simulator that deserves the name. Currently I place my bets on LM.

The P3D team makes 99.9% of its income from internal LM customers who on-sell to end-users that can't be talked about publicly.

The money taken from Developer and Academic licenses is a rounding error in LM daily revenues.

• Upvote 4

I don't get why people feel a need to "choose sides" when it comes to flight simming. I currently have DVD FSX, P3Dv2.5 and X-Plane 10.40 installed side by side, hand in hand. They all have their own strength and weaknesses, FSX: For the best backwardscompatibility and great performance, P3Dv2.5: Well, for the eye-candy mostly and for new releases and X-Plane 10.40: Because of the best freeware of all flightsimming and beautiful night environments. It also has THE best third-party freeware and payware add-on scenery for the country I live in, it even has a payware rendition of my own home airport, EFVA.