Elaine Dixon

The ONLY P3D V3 Announced 09/30 topic

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2015/09/113061/

This Wednesday, September 30th, Prepar3D v3 will be available for purchase and digital download via the Prepar3D Store. Prepar3D v3 allows developers and users to build and experience advanced simulated training environments using a new slate of features that simplify development and augment the training experience.

Prepar3D v3 further simplifies training scenario creation with major updates to SimDirector, the industry leading simulation courseware creation tool. Prepar3D v3 also welcomes enriched training capabilities by incorporating Autodesk® Scaleform® support, which improves the user interface and expands gauge and panel training capabilities. The new release also features a new avatar mode that enables users to exit their vehicle and experience the simulated environment in first or third person for increased realism and situational awareness.

Prepar3D v3 continues the tradition of being the most affordable high-fidelity visual simulation platform on the market. Many of the features and updates were directly driven by the community and the user base of Prepar3D. We look forward to continuing the conversation and reading your feedback on the Prepar3D Forum. The detailed list of exciting new features and capabilities can be found in the What’s New in v3 Release Notes!

What do you need to know before considering purchasing Prepar3D v3?

Below are the minimum and recommended Prepar3D v3 system requirements. Prepar3D v3 features significant memory and performance optimizations, which enable greater volumes of detail and increased realism. Users will now be able to better utilize next generation hardware to achieve an immersive experience that was never possible before.

System Requirements v3
  Minimum Recommended Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit) Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) Computer Processor 2.0 GHz Quad Core 3.0 GHz (Per Core) + Computer Memory 2 GB 4 GB + Hard Drive Space 30 GB (3 GB for the SDK)
Solid State Drive (SSD) is strongly recommended Graphics Card Video Memory 1 GB 4 GB + (GDDR5 or better) Graphics Card Other Full DirectX 11 Support Other Administrator Rights (for installation)
MSXML 6
DirectX 11
1920×1080 minimum screen resolution for primary display Is Prepar3D v3 Compatible with Windows 10?

Yes, Prepar3D v3 is compatible with Windows 10. However not all hardware drivers have been updated for Windows 10 so it is important to check with the manufacturer of your hardware when upgrading to Windows 10.

What are the license options and pricing for Prepar3D v3?

To see which version of Prepar3D is right for you, please reference the License Options page.

Acceptable uses of Prepar3D include Simulation, Learning, and Training. An Academic License is provided at a discount for students. Prepar3D v3 Professional Plus has additional features for military training, which include weapons, countermeasures, and military relevant AI behaviors.

As provided in our End User License Agreement, the Prepar3D application is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.

Is Prepar3D v3 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes. The Prepar3D development team has partnered with several developers to ensure that most legacy content is backwards compatible. That being said there are many different ways to build content, so there are possibilities that some content might not be fully backwards compatible. Your best bet is to check the license of your add-on content to ensure it is licensed to be used in Prepar3D, and to check with the developer of that add-on content.

Are any new vehicles included in Prepar3D v3?

Yes! In celebration of Lockheed Martin’s recent announcement of the acquisition of Sikorksy Aircraft, we are very excited to announce that the Virtavia developed Black Hawk will be included in Prepar3D v3. In addition, Dino Cattaneo and the India India Alpha Foxtrot Echo team will also be including an updated version of their F-35A.

dino_Image2-300x169.jpg

India India Alpha Foxtrot Echo F-35A

h-60-300x169.jpg

Virtavia H-60 Black Hawk

By default, both new vehicles are included in Prepar3D v3 along with all original v1 and v2 vehicles!

I have Prepar3D v1/v2, how do I know if Prepar3D v3 is right for me?

All future updates to Prepar3D platform will be for Prepar3D v3. Prepar3D v3 brings many new and exciting enhancements.

Please keep an eye on Prepar3D.com in the coming days for additional features. In the meantime, please check out some existing links of beta testing videos of Prepar3D v3:

All videos above were shot and edited by beta testers over the past few months.

Will Prepar3D v1/v2 still be available for purchase?

Yes. While development will no longer continue on legacy versions, we will still offer those version for purchase. Many platforms have been developed using legacy versions and we want to ensure that there is no concern or interruption to those companies or efforts.

I have Prepar3D v1/v2, do I get an upgrade or a discount for Prepar3D v3?

If you have purchased Prepar3D v1/v2 within 60 days of your purchase, per the refund policy, you can request a refund and then purchase the desired license of Prepar3D v3. There are no exchanges, upgrades, or discounts available.

I have a developer’s license for Prepar3D v1/v2. How do I update to Prepar3D v3?

If you are a monthly subscriber, you can cancel your current subscription and purchase a new Prepar3D v3 developer subscription. If you wish to keep your v1/v2 monthly subscription you can keep renewing it and purchase a new Prepar3D v3 developer subscription. All major versions can be concurrently installed on the same machine. If you have purchased a pre-paid developer subscription and wish to change it out to a v3 developer subscription, please emaillicensing@prepar3d.com with your request.

Please keep an eye on Prepar3D.com in the coming days for additional features. In the meantime, please check out some existing links of beta testing videos of Prepar3D v3:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gchzl3DlqQc

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13xgWWnz_Q

Just dawned on me...All my Orbx regions, airfields, global, vector etc will have to be "V3 compatible" or are they already?

Plus my rex 4 and all my v2.5 aircraft...a2a comanche, Majestic Dash 8...etc...bugger! :(

Here is a summary of most of the features that will be relevant to most of us.

• Enter and exit vehicles in Avatar Mode
  • Avatar fully controllable in first and third person views
  • Third party avatar support
  • ATC window now transparent and can be docked into main view
  • Fixed controller/joystick dropping issues with Windows 8.1
  • Oculus Rift VR headset fully integrated into core. Headset now appears in camera mode list if connected.
  • Platform now supports SpeedTree models which are high quality 3D trees, with wind animations and smooth LOD transitions
  • Virtavia Sikorsky H-60 Black Hawk
  • India India Alpha Foxtrot Echo F-35A
  • Updated HDR to increase default brightness and enhance color clarity
  • Fixed issues with water reflections that were affected by secondary views
  • Improved memory management reducing overall VAS usage and spikes
  • Optimized texture unloading during loads
  • Unused terrain detail textures no longer loaded
  • Fixed issue where certain clouds would disappear at certain camera angles when on the ground
  • Fixed bug with wave animation wind offsets
  • Optimized particle system by better utilizing GPU and system resources by reducing CPU side work, supporting indirect draw calls, and improving sorting algorithms
  • Fixed bug where batched scenery objects would flicker across multiple GPUs

i am really excited about v3 but if it's still 32 bit, we are gonna have the same old vas issue problems, thats upsetting.

• Upvote 2

i am really excited about v3 but if it's still 32 bit, we are gonna have the same old vas issue problems, thats upsetting.

But, from the What's New in v3 Release Notes: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v30.html

"Improved memory management reducing overall VAS usage and spikes"

So I'll certainly be giving v3 a try, while keeping my v2.5 installed for a while to come (to allow for the migration process over time with Orbx and other 3rd party sceneries).

• Upvote 1

So.. How will this impact Orbx products?

In the thread from last yeat JV stated:

"With regards to Prepar3D Version 3.0 we will be charging a nominal upgrade fee for any Orbx products ported to it, depending on the complexities of the P3D3.x engine and work required. Since V3.0 is very far away I wanted to go on record and give you a heads up that our policy moving forward is to charge a nominal fee for upgrades to new sim platforms. The same applies for any 'point' release of existing products, i.e. like the charge for YMML when it went from 1.x to 2.x"

However, I at least interpret that to mean the next "REAL" overhaul of P3D, which this release despite being named v3 is not.... Seems to be mostly cosmetic, bug fixes and a slight improvement or two...

Is it LM's fault that Pete Dawson goes on holidays every year? (YES, he really is). Tradition is important! :D:P

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm reading some Sylvia Plath while listening to Edith Piaf and drinking a very large Scotch.

-Jim

So,absolutely nothing to get excited about whatsoever then.Still the same patched up crappy software and they want more money to boot you gotta laugh really.

Oh well there is the "improved memory handling",well the that's well worth the money,,,,,,,,,not.

Ah well keep looking and waiting for something better to,maybe come along,I for one shall be sticking with 2.4 and see no reason to move from that.

Until some quantum leap comes about it is simply not worth the hassle of breaking all the compatible stuff I have installed at the moment and the thought of the reinstall from 2.4 to 3.00 just not worth the sweat.Progress ? not

There IS always X-plane, which does look phenomenal.  I don't know, P3D v2.5 on Win10 works pretty darned great, as I just upgraded and I can't complain. :)

-Jim

• Upvote 1

I always struggled with the general interface with X Plane, I did have it installed for a while but found,for me anyway,too many parameters to set before flying.

I guess I am easily confused ,lol

Can't wait for John V to step in and speak about 3.0

Dave

So.. How will this impact Orbx products?

In the thread from last yeat JV stated:

"With regards to Prepar3D Version 3.0 we will be charging a nominal upgrade fee for any Orbx products ported to it, depending on the complexities of the P3D3.x engine and work required. Since V3.0 is very far away I wanted to go on record and give you a heads up that our policy moving forward is to charge a nominal fee for upgrades to new sim platforms. The same applies for any 'point' release of existing products, i.e. like the charge for YMML when it went from 1.x to 2.x"

However, I at least interpret that to mean the next "REAL" overhaul of P3D, which this release despite being named v3 is not.... Seems to be mostly cosmetic, bug fixes and a slight improvement or two...

Check out JV's recent statement on v3 here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103046-a-huge-concern-i-have-for-p3d-v3/#entry930534

Considering some of the hype and rhetoric being bashed about by one over at another sim forum this does appear to be a let down.

Maybe there's some kick back of some sort going on, maybe a little cash for comment.......who knows.

You know, I was super excited when P3D V2 came out, I thought it was going to be a game changer but for me personally I was pretty disappointed with it.

I could never get it set up properly on my system and when I got close they would update it and I would have to start all over again. Don't get me wrong I think it is awesome that LM is keeping the ball rolling with flight sim but to charge for a "new version" (really does seem like a patch) and not even offer a discount for existing customers doesn't sit so well with me.

I'll be sticking with FSX until my rig dies because it is running so well right now but P3D Vx is definitely in the future for me just not the near future.

Where ORBX goes I go :)

• Upvote 1

The only way I could justify P3D 3.0 is if:

VAS problems are eradicated.

Critical Add-ons(Orbx FTX, A2A, REX, ASN, RealAIr, PMDG, etc.) will install with minimal updates at no extra charge.

Otherwise, forget it.

C.

• Upvote 1

The only way I could justify P3D 3.0 is if:

Critical Add-ons(Orbx FTX, A2A, REX, ASN, RealAIr, PMDG, etc.) will install with minimal updates at no extra charge.

Otherwise, forget it.

C.

As mentioned in the comments on this video 

They didn't get any OOMs during testing, and "It wasn't for a lack of trying". So we shall see.

As for the add-ons, straight from the release page

Is Prepar3D v3 still backwards compatible with legacy content?

Yes. The Prepar3D development team has partnered with several developers to ensure that most legacy content is backwards compatible. That being said there are many different ways to build content, so there are possibilities that some content might not be fully backwards compatible. Your best bet is to check the license of your add-on content to ensure it is licensed to be used in Prepar3D, and to check with the developer of that add-on content.

So again sounds like it might, but again time will tell best.

Pretty much what some of the beta testers are confirming on other forums.

Looking forward to this... progress is a great thing for our hobby, call it 2.6 or 3.0 no fussing here.

Both FSX:SE and P3D improve/modernize things from FSX, glad to see both humming along.  I've previously made the jump to P3D and excited about v3.  I'll buy it simply to support the development, and enjoy the improvements along the way.

• Upvote 1

This video of the L1011 at Flightbeam KSFO..

How the serious hell is that so smooth? Is that improvements from P3D V3 alone or did they edit the video to make the FPS look better?

If I can get this kind of FPS in P3D V3 with a complex plane, it'll be an instant buy for me!

95% items - "Fixed"  .. why we have pay for repairs ? ...... 

Exactly 2.XX was a beta,,,,,, I won't be giving them anymore money.

• Upvote 2

This video of the L1011 at Flightbeam KSFO..

How the serious hell is that so smooth? Is that improvements from P3D V3 alone or did they edit the video to make the FPS look better?

If I can get this kind of FPS in P3D V3 with a complex plane, it'll be an instant buy for me!

Probably a $3000 computer. :)

It's running at a locked ~30FPS, but the poster Rob is always preaching how to achieve these results and happy to help over on Avsim.  Granted, he has about the best machine possible, but claims it's ultimately due to running his monitor at a 30hz refresh rate.  My monitor doesn't support it so no idea if that actually matters, but tons of reading about it from him over there.

EDIT: Tried to quote "Outrage" but apparently I haven't figured out these boards yet ha... Outrage, hope you see this.