Having spent some frustrating hours trying to have fun, I need to share. Trust me, you don't need to read this. 

In past incarnations I have worked with companies to whom ergonomics was a word and little else. So it is a 'thing' with me.

I have some time on my hands and decided to get into flight sim. I have many fatal flaws and one of them is 'upgradeitis'. So I found myself drifting towards Prepar3d, as FSX is so last decade in terms of graphics. (And I guess this is also where you are coming from). I went down the scenery upgrade route, marvelling at the whole enthusiastic amateur aspect of tweaking FSX.

But - probably inevitably - Prepar3d made it's way onto my desktop when I eventually  figured out I was an 'academic', but not before I had Orbx stuff on board. 

Reinstalling Orbx is not fun. I think it  has finally reinstalled after all of the usual fun and games - reboots and etc etc etc etc. Some little foibles. Where the heck is the ability to un-install Orbx? not even Revo UnInstaller Pro sees it. Where are the instructions ?

Forums are fine - if you want to spend hours poking around in corners and either gaining abstruse knowledge, or in my case getting very confused. I was about to post a long accoubt of my attempts to sort but one last attempt to launch "FTX Central"  came good. 

So, I may even get to learn how to fly a flightsim. But guys, putting stuff on YouTube with lots of insider warnings about little catches to an installation is not substitute for an install that works reliably. 

Any body want to tell me either a) where to get stuffed or 8) where to learn about navigation!

I have everything OrbX has put out, over 120 regions and airports. I have NEVER had a problem with one of their installer not functioning.   There is also a search function on the forums.

Sue

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/25-faq-answers-to-frequently-asked-questions-here/

Abstruse means difficult to comprehend.  I Googled it.  Bentflights problem with flight sim is a bit abstruse.  Its not clear why he needs to uninstall Orbx.  Perhaps he can say a bit more.  

I find navigation a bit abstruse, so I just follow the red line.  When I run out of other flight sim things I am interested in, I can take up navigation.  I fly RC a lot. I tell new guys there is no substitute for stick time, its the only way to get good at flying, and its the best way to learn how to repair airplanes.  Flight sim is well, similar.  There does not seem to be any easy way to learn the ins and outs other than just doing it. You see a problem you want to fix, so you do some digging and find the solution and fix the problem, and then on to the next problem.  But there is no book to follow so you have to find help where you can,  Frequently the best source is in the various forums.  I find the Orbx and A2A forums the most helpful, knowledgeable, and considerate. I have picked up a lot of info about FSX, computers, and real world aviation on those two forums. Maybe someone else knows some other good forums.         

Just a quick heads-up that the OP might not be a native speaker. In German, for example, the Word "abstrus" does pop up from time to time.

One thing regarding his questions about uninstalling  - and seeing repeated questions on several other topics like the "radio button", "insert disk 2" or the landscape changes around LA in the support part of the forum does raise the question if there might not be a possibility for a better placed (or more easily navigated) ;) FAQ part of that neck of the woods. Perhaps switching the FAQ part around to the first stop before one gets to ask a question in the support forum might help a little bit? Because that otherwise very useful part of the forum clearly is being overlooked by a lot of people...

Cheers

Mallard

It's surprising how long it takes to spot a spelling mistake. :smile:

As to the FAQ section, it is good but has to be read to be

appreciated.

When I read, as I did yesterday that someone "hates" the

Search function of forums because they never find anything,

I realise that for some people there are only questions and no

answers to be sought first.

Didn't mean to be ergonomically incorrect, nor abtuse in my use of abstruse, so excuse any abuse I may have used in my use. It's no excuse. I heard Dr. Seuss passed.

jsapair