On the other forum someone started a thread on anonymity and why do we use screen names as opposed to our real names.

Spud told us how he got his in the Navy. And I got mine (birdguy) from the staff at the wildlife refuge I was volunteering at because I always had my camera around my neck and was taking bird pictures while performing refuge chores.

It might be interesting to read how others got or picked the screen names they are using.

Noel

Mine's not very exciting.  The first time I set up an email account back in '97, I had just moved to Alaska and was kind of homesick, so for my login name I tried using the names of various places in New Mexico.  Ojito was the first one that wasn't taken.  I've had it so long it's just how I'm known online.  Ojito didn't work on here, so added an extra 'i'.

Hi,

Mine is simple:

Buck Danny is a pilot comic's star here in Belgium (1947-2008) so:

Bug, because I'm not so serious....

and Dani is my first name...

So BugDani is a contraction of both....

• Upvote 1

Just dunk me in a cup of tea (English Breakfast).

Some time ago I used to play an MMO called Everquest. My characters name was called Kruunch Hobnobs. Simply because I had a packet of Hobnobs on my desk while trying to decide what name to have. Hobnobs wasnt allowed as a first name so I came up with Kruunch and added the Hobnobs as a surname.

I use Hobnobs a lot on forums...

I simply used my initials... 'van' is a very common in-between-first-and-last-name thing in my country. Don't know what you call that in English.

Since this is a rather boring story: in the past my usual nickname was hellogoodbye. The email I use for forums and junkmail still uses that. When I had to register to a forum for the first time I didn't plan on staying there long: I just wanted to ask a question and leave after getting my answer so hence the hello and goodbye: I wanted to get in quick and get out quick. I stuck around though and so did my nickname. People always thought I based that name on the Beatles song (also because I am a Beatles fan) but I didn't. Later on they thought it was based on a Dutch TV-program with the same name. Anyway, after a few years I didn't like the name anymore, it somehow doesn't sound positive, I didn't like the Beatles and TV references and it just didn't feel like me. Using my real name online everywhere is a no go for me so I decided to start using my initials.

BTW Some of you already know (thanks to Avsim) the J stands for Jeroen. You may guess what the E stands for. But I won't tell if you are right or wrong. ;)

I drive what is known in Germany as a "duck" (the Citroen 2CV), I can quack (and fully articulate words) like Donald - and I was inspired by an ad (hamilton cigars?) in which a flight of ducks in air force gear dive-bombed and repelled a duck hunter. Their leader had "Mad Mallard" on his helmet :)

Cheers

Mallard

• Upvote 1

Being a Welshman, I was known as Taff, (which is nickname taken from the river Taff which flows through Cardiff), but being in a darts team which included a number of Welshmen there was a Taff double F, Taf single F, and  Taff F treble F, (his second name began with an F) my second name also starts with an F so I became Taff ph. The other explanation is am a Welsh Irish dyslexic and this is the Irish spelling. Take your pick either works for me.

• Upvote 1

I'm using my first name ! And being the conservative type, I've used the same avatar for more than 15 years in all the forums or "social netwoks" I've participated.  I don't even remember where that charming litlle flying green bird comes from !   

8)

Way back, when I was a professional mechanic, a friend started calling me Pennzoil.  He said I always smelled of gas and oil after work. Well yeah, mechanics do...  So when I needed an email handle, it became Penzoil3, because other versions weren't available.  It's sort of a tribute, to a biker buddy who's long gone.

Sue

• Upvote 1

My alma mater (Purdue), and the contraction of my first name that all of my friends seem to naturally use in conversation...  8)

(Surprisingly, very few of the other several thousand or so Kevin's who went to my school seem to be using that screen name, as I rarely find that it is already taken when I sign up for a forum online  ??? )

Mine is because back in 1996 I was going to flight school at CYTZ Toronto Island Airport (now Billy Bishop). I registered my email account on hotmail back in 1996 as ytzpilot when that first came out so I have been using it for 19 years now. Even though I live in New Zealand now I think I will just leave it be. Something comforting about a 19 year tradition

"FlexFlier" is a contraction of Flexible Flier which refers to the fact that I flew both fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft professionally; it is also a pun on the snow sled I had as a kid (I'm now 74...you can do the math) called the Flexible Flyer (think of Citizen Kane's "Rosebud").

Back in the Computer Dark Ages I wanted to be "da_webster" as a pun on D.A. Webster (Daniel Webster, a famous American politician and statesman in the early 1800's) and Webster's dictionary (a different Webster) because I like playing with words. However, it had already been taken.

Gumbypickett:  The name Gumby was given to me by my brother in law

many many years ago, to this day I have no idea why. Isn't Gumby just

a plasticine character of which I look nothing like?  MMM :wacko:

Depends if your brother-in-law watched Monty Python or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbys

Well, as I´m one of the guys that don´t have any need to hide behind an aliasis, my name Jack J Jackson was given to me by my parents, that is, I was baptized as Jack and my surname comes from my parents.  :D

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I guess I should have added, when I tried to get my name for and email address, it was gone. I am not the only Mark Smith, fancy that. I just kept using the alias, I have nothing to hide, I am a supervisor and a controller in Iceland on Vatsim and live on the prairies in Manitoba, Canada.

Been to Lincoln and Capitan lots of times azkid.

Does anyone remember the character actor Richard Farnsworth?  He had a place in Lincoln and we used to stop by his place and ask permission to fish in the creek below his property.  He was a very nice a guy and always invited us in for a coffee and a chat.  He loved to tell us war stories of when he was a stunt man.

Unfortunately when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer he went out in his back yard and took care of the problem himself.

Which is the only reason I am hanging onto the last gun I own.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The first SAAB 340 in Australia was VH-KDK first with Kendell and then REX.

Flew on this plane many times from Mildura to Melbourne and also down to Tassie.

Like the SAAB 340 and the very friendly crews that used to fly KDK.