A Full Guide to All 25,000 FSX Airports...

Caution:

Be selective about activating the airport locators eg. stick to regions, states or even countries. Trying to activate whole continents or the World at one time will bring GEarth to its knees.

VPMC

• Upvote 1

Very much appreciated.

I had downloaded and installed Carl Vokes work along the same line and each area had to be installed separately.   This is totally comprehensive and a much more thorough job.

Greatly appreciate your sharing this with us.

Bryan

• Upvote 1

Hi Wombat, this is for Google Earth and GE Pro.  It has no direct connection to which FS sim you are using other than the list of default airports in FSX and P3D V2 are most likely identical. So you should be able to find any specific airport in FSX or P3D which have the same base set of airports, unless in the process of making P3D they removed or added some airports.

Hi Wombat, this is for Google Earth and GE Pro.  It has no direct connection to which FS sim you are using other than the list of default airports in FSX and P3D V2 are most likely identical. So you should be able to find any specific airport in FSX or P3D which have the same base set of airports, unless in the process of making P3D they removed or added some airports.

Hi fltsimguy, thank you for your help, I have GEPro so will try that today, looks like a great freebie, should become a sticky.

Thanks also to VPMC for all the work involved in this.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to all for your comments!

The real credit however should go to the folks at OurAirports.com who compiled a downloadable CSV list of 50,000 airports with all the associated Wiki links. I initially used this to do a World Airport directory for my own use, because the KMZ was too large to upload to these forums (11MB vs 4MB limit).

I then got the idea of restricting it to FSX airports and adding runway data. An XML file with this info can be generated using Peter Dowson's MakeRwys utility (http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html). The readme file associated with this utility allows the output to be used to "satisfy one's data needs and the needs of other users of FSX".

It wasn't a hard job to programatically merge these two data sources and generate a KML file, load it into GEarth and export it as a KMZ file that was less than 4MB in size.

All in all just under 3 days work.

Regards

VPMC

• Upvote 1

VPMC...firstly, thank you so much for what must have been a mammoth task - a labour of love I guess!

Secondly, apologies if this a really dumb question, but..."Unzip the attachment into a KMZ file..." How to do that?

Thanks again,

Don

To donbrindles:

The file you download is a compressed ZIP file. R-click on it and select whatever unzip option your system offers...this extract the KMZ file and you take it from there.

Rgds VPMC

Hi VPMC,

:smile: Been born in a multi-racial country, a sentence ,we speak sometime consist of a few languages, so it is,

Selamat datang di Singapura,  æ­¡è¿Žä¾†åˆ°æ–°åŠ å¡ , Welcome to Singapore, etc.... and if you do fly here, don't

blink eyes or you may just find yourself fast in our neighbour airspace. Certainly, That's for laugh and hopes this

cheers everyone reading this post. :)  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...