Hey,

I see that KJAC has all these jets on the airport.  I don't understand why it is very challenging to take off from runway 19 with pmdg 737.  I even set the flaps to 25, and with V1 speeds at 141, I am unable to reach it on the runway, I literally about to run out of runway space and do a take off at 130 knots.

I am mega newbie to pmdg 737, so far it is youtube videos and its basic tutorial for me for now.

How do you take off from this runway with this bird

Thanks

-airwolf

On a hot day, you're going to have to restrict your load and fuel on board.

It's quite a common practice to "weight restrict" a flight... You'll need to basically find the performance you want in the performance charts, the read backwards to see how much max weight you can carry.

On a hot day, you're going to have to restrict your load and fuel on board.

It's quite a common practice to "weight restrict" a flight... You'll need to basically find the performance you want in the performance charts, the read backwards to see how much max weight you can carry.

Thanks Rob,  Looks I will have to learn these charts (I need to find them first).  I had no idea that weight, fuel and temp be an issue.

Also flaps 25 is usually used for landing, creates quite a bit of drag. Normally use about flaps 5 however for short field try 10 or 15 maybe.

Useful tool to give you this info is TOPCAT. Not freeware but if you are serious about flying the big jets it's very handy. Will tell you how much room you will need for take off & landing depending on field elevation, temperature, wind direction/strength & aircraft weight. Also recommended flap setting.

Thanks Rob,  Looks I will have to learn these charts (I need to find them first).  I had no idea that weight, fuel and temp be an issue.

I had same issue with takeoff from KJAC in NGX even I do not study any charts, just set takeoff performance to maximum and unload some fuel.

Also flaps 25 is usually used for landing, creates quite a bit of drag. Normally use about flaps 5 however for short field try 10 or 15 maybe.

Useful tool to give you this info is TOPCAT. Not freeware but if you are serious about flying the big jets it's very handy. Will tell you how much room you will need for take off & landing depending on field elevation, temperature, wind direction/strength & aircraft weight. Also recommended flap setting.

These big jets are way beyond complex for me.  They are fancy graphics and look cool and all but I am more of a Cessna, Mooney, King Air kind of guy. 

I had same issue with takeoff from KJAC in NGX even I do not study any charts, just set takeoff performance to maximum and unload some fuel.

Yeah, I will do that.  Thanks for the Suggestion

Its the altitude mostly, I had a devil of a time getting a Cessna 172 out of West Yellowstone the other day

I am gonna fly the A2A 182 on KJAC on my next sim run.  How is the KWYS P3Dv2 port coming over? I need to get that one too  

These big jets are way beyond complex for me.  They are fancy graphics and look cool and all but I am more of a Cessna, Mooney, King Air kind of guy. 

Big jets are actually some of the easiest out there in my opinion because they pack so much stuff that do many things for you - from navigation to management of the systems. :) The thing is that with speeds and weights associated we often are relatively critical and actually need to utilize those systems and procedures to help us out of there. Often KJAC is "just big enough" for 738, and many destinations normally within reach are not reachable from there because high altitude and relatively short runway will restrict your maximum weight. However all set up correctly, it is just a matter of following some numbers.

You wish you had all that complexity (in a good way!) when you take that A2A Skylane from KBLU for example at full weight, there you will run into similar issues, but without TOPCAT and instrument procedures to help you. You'll note that the runway length available and the altitude mean that you must lean for maximum power before takeoff, and even then if you utilize the short field technique to the letter, you'll need 2/3s of the runway to barely reach 50 ft. Add some weather to that, and you'll have fun time avoiding the clouds while climbing in between the mountains! I like that! :)

I am mega newbie to pmdg 737, so far it is youtube videos and its basic tutorial for me for now ...

Perfectly fine - we all have to start at some point!

Just always bare in mind, that there is literally always something new to learn ... - everyday.

I am currently taking a break from simming, so i certainly will have to do a lot of training again when i am going to fire up the sim again and jump into the PMDG 737 or 777 for instance. Nevertheless ...

As pointed out above in #5 by Ross Casey, i also highly recommend to take a closer look at TOPCAT - it is really worth its money.

The same goes out to PFPX, which may furthermore be very helpful if You intend to get into accurate fuel planning as well some time in the future.

Then and aside the PMDG forums over at AVSIM i for instance also consider some of the Froogle tutorial videos on YouTube to be quite helpful (just search for Froogle and NGX for instance).

There are many more videos available on the web, but i think that Froogle's videos may be a good start.

I also really like the tutorial videos done by Kyle Rodgers, who is a member of the support team for PMDG over at AVSIM.

His tutorial videos are also available via YouTube (just search for Kyle Rodgers and NGX for instance) and certainly most informative and very detailed.

Last but not least i also always consider the "Tutorial Flight 2" tutorial from within the PMDG-NGX documents to be quite useful.

And finally I also always like reading through the NGX tutorial by Tom Risager, which although some years old by now, is still very helpful to become familiar with the NGX (just search for Tom Risager and NGX for instance).

Most important of all though:

Have fun!

Some things may take some time and some trials and errors to really figure out how it all works correctly, but all in all it is really very rewarding certainly worth the effort.

Happy flying and landing,

Christoph

A couple of extra bits of information about the real-life airport that may be of interest;

1. KJAC is situated entirely within the Grand Teton Nation Park, which presents a unique set of environmental and noise issues. Pushback over the decades from both the National Park and nearby local residents has stymied development of the airport, in particular any extensions to the runway. Due to serious safety concerns (24 runway overruns from 2007-2010, including one by an American Airlines 757) there has been an additional small safety overrun pad added at the south end of the runway. You will notice the 300ft extension if you compare your KJAC scenery with the latest Google Maps imagery of the airport. Even so, special procedures are in place for all airlines landing at the airport - you can find plenty of "rough landings" at KJAC on Youtube (including the aforementioned B757 runway excursion).

2. Because of the combination of high altitude, short runway, and high passenger demand, several of the mainline US airlines have used the B757 into Jackson Hole. This jet is famous for being overpowered - perfect for getting a planeload full of holiday makers out of the airport on a hot summer day. I notice that some of these services are gradually being replaced by newer B737-700, A319 and A320 aircraft.

Cheers,

Jarrad

• Upvote 2