birdguy

What's your favorite war movie?

Some great movies already mentioned.

I also would recommend First Light (based on the book by Geoffrey Wellum), Enemy at the Gates (set in Stalingrad) and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

We Were Soldiers Once must also be considered a classic along with those opening scenes from Saving Private Ryan.

Bill.

Face it folks,  there are a great number of good movies still around.

Yes, indeed and one of them is M.A.S.H. the movie.

Spirit

Hogans Heroes ::) and Battle of Britain for me. I have always had a thing for Susannah York since I was a lad.

I bought a video capture device and converted all my old WWll VHS tapes to DVD.  Pretty cool. Play the VHS through a VHS player and the device and save it your HD, then burn it to DVD like you would music to a CD. What I bought was a Diamond One Touch, if I'm allowed to mention the name. Directions are a little vague...they ain't from around here...but pretty much self-explanatory once you get it hooked up. Record anything off your TV DVR box too. I did HBO's The Pacific series and Saving Private Ryan that way. Just need to get a video cord from your TV box to the device, which is hooked to your 'puter via USB. I'm almost VHS free. Got the whole "Attack in the Pacific" series left to go. Love those old "Victory at Sea" episodes.

jsapair

One TV war series I enjoy is Black Sheep Squadron.  I watched an episode this evening.  It's on every Sunday evening here.  Dog fights and Corsairs.

Noel

• Upvote 1

I also want to mention not necessarily real but was still pretty cool movie "The Final Countdown" especially love the Tomcat scene taking care of business against those Mitsubishi A-6M's

I bought a video capture device and converted all my old WWll VHS tapes to DVD.  Pretty cool. Play the VHS through a VHS player and the device and save it your HD, then burn it to DVD like you would music to a CD. What I bought was a Diamond One Touch, if I'm allowed to mention the name. Directions are a little vague...they ain't from around here...but pretty much self-explanatory once you get it hooked up. Record anything off your TV DVR box too. I did HBO's The Pacific series and Saving Private Ryan that way. Just need to get a video cord from your TV box to the device, which is hooked to your 'puter via USB. I'm almost VHS free. Got the whole "Attack in the Pacific" series left to go. Love those old "Victory at Sea" episodes.

jsapair

I have bought one capture device too, so to acquire in my laptop from VHS, anyway the quality didn't satisfy me at all..... If you record a VHS directly into a DVD recorder the quality is 10 times better. Anyway good to play a bit with that 65 € device, that records only from VHS. I tried to record from my miniDV player but the image is all distorted, so i understand they applied a filter directly linked to the signal strongness produced by a VHS player (different when you have a digital output).

The defeat i watched in my device is that the image is a little too much pixelated to be used for my customers even when the VHS output is very good.

I suggest these type of devices only to play a bit :)

Das Boot, Stalingrad, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Tora Tora Tora

White Badge

Platoon, Heaven and Earth, The Killing Fields

Dr. Strangelove, The Final Countdown and Apocalypse Now are also favourites but I do not consider them war movies (the latest being an adaption of Conrad's Heart of Darkness).

Steven Speilberg And Tom Hanks, makers of Band of Brothers and the Pacific are soon to be filming Masters of the Air miniseries, based on the Eight Air Force in WWll. To be released on HBO late 2016 or early 2017.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Masters-of-the-Air/142322062593374

And it looks to be another smash, absolutely gonna be awesome!

I mostly agree with BirdGuy: Tunes of Glory is a terrific character study; Saving Private Ryan is special (but I could only watch it once...so intense!); but my all-time favorite is 12 O'Clock High.

Can't leave out Battle of the Bulge - the opening sequence with the scouting flight in/over those wooded hills was breathtaking, and the performance of Robert Shaw as the Panzer commander - superb.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Adding to my previous list, Psybear reminded me of The Bedford Incident. Given my strong anti-war beliefs, I must include Johnny Got His Gun and All Quiet on the Wetern Front.

Lots of excellent choices here.

I've got a fair few of them in the DVD cupboard which I now feel compelled to watch again.

Biggest problem - where to start? 

I read Johnny Got His Gun but never knew it had been made into a movie. I'll have to look for it.

Has anyone mentioned Lawrence of Arabia yet?

Noel

Das Boot is the ultimate submarine movie! It is in my opinion the most realistic submarine movie ever made.

"The Final Countdown" was a pretty cool movie with an interesting plot. The funny thing about it, is that I saw it for the first time on board an Oberon class diesel submarine while we were dived in the Bermuda Triangle. Considering where we were, it really led to some interesting conversations and speculation of what could happen to us when we surfaced!

Bill

Another good one that comes to mind: Under Fire - about war journalists during the last months of the Somoza regime in Nicaragua.  Gene Hackman on top form.

I'M surprised no has mentioned "MURPHYS WAR", staring Peter O'toole 1971 still available on DVD, it's well worth watching.

Navy man sunk by German U-boat is washed up on an island and vows revenge against the U-boat. He finds an old Grumman J2F Duck

and goes about restoring  same with intent to attack and sink the U-boat. It certainly sounds far fetched but if you see the film it seem possible

There are other war films but the Grumman JF2 Duck makes it for me.

Bazak

A lot of good movies above !  Let me be the nerd of the thread and add Kurosawa's Kagemusha,  war and political intrigues in feudal Japan, beautiful and riveting..

Just watched "The Thin Red Line" again this morning for the umpteenth time. Sean Penn, Nick Nolte and a host of other stars. Gets a little weird at times but Nolte's take on his role as a whacked-out, gung-ho Colonel on Guadalcanal is worthy of an Oscar.

• Upvote 2

Just watched "The Thin Red Line" again this morning for the umpteenth time. Sean Penn, Nick Nolte and a host of other stars. Gets a little weird at times but Nolte's take on his role as a whacked-out, gung-ho Colonel on Guadalcanal is worthy of an Oscar.

Thanks for the hint.

Spirit

... full metal jacket ...

Everyone please buy Full Metal Jacket. Some of my grandfather's music is used in the film and I continue to get royalties. Thanx!!!

Catch-22

M*A*S*H

The Ninth Configuration (obscure -but IMO excellent- Vietnam period movie starring Stacey Keach)

Dr. Strangelove

Lawrence of Arabia

Fail-Safe

A few not mentioned yet Sea Wolves with Gregory Peck, David Niven. Flight of the Intruder, and Saints and Soldiers.

The most recent one I watched is The Pacific partly based on the excellent book With The Old Breed by Eugene "Sledgehammer" Sledge.

For me, overall that I have seen  are...

- The Hunt for Red October

- Band of Brothers

- A Bridge to Far

- Stalingrad (the original, not the remake)

and for the theme we love...

- The Battle over Britain

If you like WWII movies as I do, I suggest the game/sim "Combat Mission" Battle for Normandy, or "Combat Mission" Black Sea over at Battlefront.com. All there series are gems, but the two mentioned are my fav´s.

Care,

Mike

Paths of Glory is right up there with All Quiet on the Western Front.

And while we are in the WW1 genre there's also Sergeant York and The Blue Max.

Noel

Someone did mention Murphy's War earlier.  I agree - it's a good watch.  One of O'Toole's better films.

What was mentioned was MR MURPHY'S WAR,  MURPHY'S WAR is the correct title, someone got it wrong.

'

Another good one, although not a war movie per se, is a pretty good Air Force Air-Sea rescue flick. Flight from Ashiya starring

Richard Widmark, Yul Brynner, an H-19 helicopter, and an SA-16 Albatross; not necessarily in that order.

I'll bet Lawrence has seen it.

Noel

There are two versions of All Quiet on the Western Front, and I have both on DVD.

The first was 1930 version staring Lou Ayes and Louis Wolhelm

The second was a TV movie in 1979 staring Richard Thomas and Enest Borgnine.

Another version is in pre-production now and expected to be released in USA at end of year. Classics always come back.

My fav is Kelly's Heroes and I always quote Telly Savalas when my wife puts on a chick flick: "But honey, 'There's no action!'"